Mouthwash Linked To Cancer. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Top-selling mouthwash brands, including Listerine, linked to cancer | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au

AUSTRALIA'S top-selling mouthwashes can cause oral cancer and should be pulled from supermarket shelves immediately.
Leading independent experts have issued this strong warning after investigating latest scientific evidence linking alcohol-containing mouthwashes to the deadly disease.
Their review, published in the Dental Journal of Australia, concludes there is now "sufficient evidence" that "alcohol-containing mouthwashes contribute to the increased risk of development of oral cancer".
The ethanol in mouthwash is thought to allow cancer-causing substances to permeate the lining of the mouth more easily and cause harm.
Acetaldehyde, a toxic by-product of alcohol that may accumulate in the oral cavity when swished around the mouth, is also believed to be carcinogenic.
Listerine, the nation's biggest-selling mouthwash and a brand endorsed by the Australian Dental Association (ADA), contains as much as 26 per cent alcohol.

Mouthwash is one of the fastest-growing grocery products in Australia, with the category now worth more than $75 million, according to latest Nielsen market research.
Lead review author Professor Michael McCulloughhttp://search.news.com.au/search//0...news&ac=search&q=Professor Michael McCullough has told The Sunday Telegraph alcohol-containing mouthwash should be reclassified as prescription-only and carry written health warnings.
Prof McCullough, chair of the ADA's therapeutics committee and associate professor of oral medicine at the University of Melbourne, is calling on the ADA to urgently re-assess its seal of approval on mouthwashes containing alcohol.
"We see people with oral cancer who have no other risk factors than the use of alcohol-containing mouthwash, so what we've done in this study is review all the evidence that's out there," he said.
"Since this article came out, further evidence has come out too. We believe there should be warnings.
"If it was a facial cream that had the effect of reducing acne but had a four- to five-fold increased risk of skin cancer, no one would be recommending it."
Oral cancer is a gruelling and mutilating disease that afflicts more than 800 Australians each year and kills half of them within five years of being diagnosed.
Smoking and alcohol consumption are well-established risk factors, but alcohol-containing mouthwash use is more controversial.

Oh dear. Yet another item that supposedly causes cancer.
I wonder if they'll actually pull it from the shelves...

MissSarajevo

HSC
This is terrible, i simply use mouthwash before going to bed instead of brushing my teeth when im lazy. Looks like i have to stop using mouthwash until they find a reliable alternative.

Russdog

russell
HSC
mouthwash is retarded anyway. eat an apple. or stop eating tuna.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Every few weeks a study is released saying how terrible for us some household product is. Later, another study is released saying how good it is.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Erm, so is swallowable alcohol also cancerous? Because I probably gargle more gin before bed and after breakfeast

sirfeathers

HSC
Iron said:
Erm, so is swallowable alcohol also cancerous? Because I probably gargle more gin before bed and after breakfeast
yeh I was thinking about that too. Surely a lot of people would drink enough alcohol to make the small mouthwash amount negligible. Especially since you don't actually swallow the mouthwash (well I hope not anyway)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The link between alcohol and oral cancer has been known for some time (maybe a 6 times increased risk?). It makes sense that such an association would exist with alcohol-containing mouthwash.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just hope that aweful smoking woman doesnt come back on the tv, claiming that it was mouthwash all along!

nchoy

HSC
Rafy said:
Every few weeks a study is released saying how terrible for us some household product is. Later, another study is released saying how good it is.
I guess it depends on who is sponsoring the research.

dp624

HSC
KFunk said:
The link between alcohol and oral cancer has been known for some time (maybe a 6 times increased risk?). It makes sense that such an association would exist with alcohol-containing mouthwash.
wow, i never knew that.
how much alco do these mouthwashes contain?

nchoy

HSC
dp624 said:
wow, i never knew that.
how much alco do these mouthwashes contain?
Listerine contains 22-26%.That is why they taste so good, haha. However, I think they do a alcohol free version.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Wait so that burning and painful sensation you get from using mouthwash was actually an indication that it's not good? Who would have known.

Next they'll be telling us waxing and shaving is bad for you too.

dp624

HSC
lol, i thought it was pain=gain
now it seems pain=cancer =/= not gain, haha

i rarely use mouthwashes anyways

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
I just hope that aweful smoking woman doesnt come back on the tv, claiming that it was mouthwash all along!
Stats exist to show that oral cancer risk in the setting of smoking + alcohol > risk in the setting of alcohol alone. Any claims which try to excuse tobacco will be ill-researched (until they can find a molecular biological / genetic argument pertaining to susceptible populations and what have you).

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
dp624 said:
lol, i thought it was pain=gain
now it seems pain=cancer =/= not gain, haha

i rarely use mouthwashes anyways
Actually pain is a pretty good indication of "doing it wrong"

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Switching to a non-ethanol mouthwash from today

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
you shouldn't use mouth wash very often anyway. 1-3 times a week is the max you should use mouthwash. it damages the skin in your mouth and the bacteria/germies become resistant to the shit eventually.

i learnt this during my short stint as a dental nurse. man i hate dentists.

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
lol @ my brother who skulled a bottle of Listerine once
omg that's like getting uber drunk?
cos a bottle is like 500ml
and 20~% is alco
so it's like 100ml of pure alco
=O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)