Move schools? (1 Viewer)

ColdMint123

HSC
hello
So i recently applied for girraween but i did not make it either school so looks like im stuck atcurrent school. The school that i go to right now is in the top 200 ranking, however, my cohort at the moment isnt that great and im worried they are gonna drag my atar down. Im gonna be doing 3U maths and english, physics, chem and buisness next year. And going into year 11, im confident with everything else but English although i still enjoy doing it. Anyway, do i really need to move schools or can i get my 95+ atar here? and how do i improve my english before i start year 11 (creative writing especially)

Last edited:

SpiderX1X

HSC
hello
So i recently applied for Baulkham hills high and girraween but i did not make it either school so looks like im stuck atcurrent school. The school that i go to right now is in the top 200 ranking, however, my cohort at the moment isnt that great and im worried they are gonna drag my atar down. Im gonna be doing 3U maths and english, physics, chem and buisness next year. And going into year 11, im confident with everything else but English although i still enjoy doing it. Anyway, do i really need to move schools or can i get my 95+ atar here? and how do i improve my english before i start year 11 (creative writing especially)

Exact same situation as you but im in a rank 300s school. Does anyone have tips on how to bypass the catchment area shit, like fake renting an apartment or something?

Cherrybomb56

HSC
hello
So i recently applied for Baulkham hills high and girraween but i did not make it either school so looks like im stuck atcurrent school. The school that i go to right now is in the top 200 ranking, however, my cohort at the moment isnt that great and im worried they are gonna drag my atar down. Im gonna be doing 3U maths and english, physics, chem and buisness next year. And going into year 11, im confident with everything else but English although i still enjoy doing it. Anyway, do i really need to move schools or can i get my 95+ atar here? and how do i improve my english before i start year 11 (creative writing especially)
If you move schools are you sure you will still get 3u math for next year?

jskeza

HSC
N/A
hello
If you think your cohort isn't that great then you should be able to come first in most (if not all) of your subjects. This will ensure you get your own assessment mark (assuming you get the highest) in the HSC accompanied by your exam mark. I don't see the point of moving schools if you are going to be 'better' than the rest of your cohort and come first in everything (i'm assuming you are able to come first since you said they aren't that great). However, there are also other factors that you may want to take into consideration such as competition, motivation to study from other students, teachers, teaching quality, location etc. This is just my opinion, I don't know your situation as well as you do. I also don't know if or how school affects your ATAR so wait for some better advice. Good Luck

SpiderX1X

HSC
If you think your cohort isn't that great then you should be able to come first in most (if not all) of your subjects. This will ensure you get your own assessment mark (assuming you get the highest) in the HSC accompanied by your exam mark. I don't see the point of moving schools if you are going to be 'better' than the rest of your cohort and come first in everything (i'm assuming you are able to come first since you said they aren't that great). However, there are also other factors that you may want to take into consideration such as competition, motivation to study from other students, teachers, teaching quality, location etc. This is just my opinion, I don't know your situation as well as you do. I also don't know if or how school affects your ATAR so wait for some better advice. Good Luck
What about there is like a person better than you in your cohort, and you come 2nd, wouldn't the person who gets 2nd be dragged down and the 1st be unaffected?

idkkdi

HSC
The best advice is to not worry about these superficial things and just try as hard as possible. If you do so, 95-99 atar is definitely doable anywhere at any school. 99+, however, may be a problem due to a multitude of reasons that arise from a cohort that isn't strong enough.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Overall if you are someone who is going to perform well in a selective school or a normal school your ATAR won't change as much. What you need to remember is, if you are in a cohort that is weaker, than that means likely your performance on the average will be less than a higher ranking school student if you sat the same exam because they have harder exams, maybe harder marking etc. You can surpass that type of problem though, but it will take a large amount of self dedication and motivation. One thing already is you are going to have to do extra work outside the lesson so you can compete with them. That would be things like doing past papers etc. Also, what you have to constantly do is because you won't have as much competition from other students that will push you to improve, you have to take a mindset of your answer can always be improved. That means if you got 90% on your exam, be happy with your result, but don't take it as you understand everything or don't need to improve. Think about how can I get those last 10% and how can I improve my existing knowledge and answers. A great way to do that is get questions and responses to practice exams you do marked by an experienced person like your tutor or a school teacher (and I would ask them specifically to mark as harshly as possible so you find new ways to improve). If you follow that type of thing, then it is very possible for you to achieve whatever ATAR you are aiming for

golden-touch

HSC
hello
How do you know you didnt make it to baulko?? Did they send you an email or letter? And when did they tell you??

ColdMint123

HSC
If you move schools are you sure you will still get 3u math for next year?
im not sure how it works but apparently if you move schools they give you priority on the subjects that you want, i dont know about extention subjects because for my school you need to do a test to get in. However it doesnt make sense that they would give priority to new students coming in so....

ColdMint123

HSC
Overall if you are someone who is going to perform well in a selective school or a normal school your ATAR won't change as much. What you need to remember is, if you are in a cohort that is weaker, than that means likely your performance on the average will be less than a higher ranking school student if you sat the same exam because they have harder exams, maybe harder marking etc. You can surpass that type of problem though, but it will take a large amount of self dedication and motivation. One thing already is you are going to have to do extra work outside the lesson so you can compete with them. That would be things like doing past papers etc. Also, what you have to constantly do is because you won't have as much competition from other students that will push you to improve, you have to take a mindset of your answer can always be improved. That means if you got 90% on your exam, be happy with your result, but don't take it as you understand everything or don't need to improve. Think about how can I get those last 10% and how can I improve my existing knowledge and answers. A great way to do that is get questions and responses to practice exams you do marked by an experienced person like your tutor or a school teacher (and I would ask them specifically to mark as harshly as possible so you find new ways to improve). If you follow that type of thing, then it is very possible for you to achieve whatever ATAR you are aiming for
ok, so its gonna be just hardwork and lots of feedback. Thanks

blyatman

HSC
N/A
What about there is like a person better than you in your cohort, and you come 2nd, wouldn't the person who gets 2nd be dragged down and the 1st be unaffected?
Well if you come second then that means the person above performed better than you. You shouldn't get dragged down since you should be getting (more or less) the second highest mark, which is yours.

Jolteon

HSC
Like everyone is saying, you can easily do well at your own school so as long as you maintain a decent rank (top 3 preferably)
IMO, the main difference between selective and an average comprehensive school is the environment - selective schools tend to have a more competitive environment that provides students with healthy motivation.
Just come top 3, stay on track and you'll be alright.

I reckon coming top 3 at a comprehensive school is probably equivalent to a middle ranking at a mid tier selective school so don't stress too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)