Movies most people don't get (1 Viewer)

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
Lots of people say they don't get Donnie Darko.
Admittedly, I didn't get the time travel shit - and supposed time paradox, simply because I feel time travel doesn't work (and I have good reason to feel this way about it); but there's not much to not get in the first viewing.

Watch the film and you'll know what I mean by really Jewish.
Jewish mobsters, Jewish protagonist and antagonists, everyone's a Jew, for fuck's sake.
Watch the film, dude.

jennieTalia

HSC
PrettyOddProlix said:
Lots of people say they don't get Donnie Darko.
Admittedly, I didn't get the time travel shit - and supposed time paradox, simply because I feel time travel doesn't work (and I have good reason to feel this way about it); but there's not much to not get in the first viewing.

Watch the film and you'll know what I mean by really Jewish.
Jewish mobsters, Jewish protagonist and antagonists, everyone's a Jew, for fuck's sake.
Watch the film, dude.
Ahahaha will do. For some reason I had a weird feeling you were gonna say it was like subtle Jewish propaganda with... I don't know...Hannukah candles and stuff in the background *smug*

The time travel thing irritated me, but I understood it... and it is open to interpretation, personally (because Schizophrenia can cause delusions such as tracks from a person) I think it is completely about his mental disorder, and that it just takes it a bit too far by causing people to think it is actually a time-travel-esque crapathon of a movie. But hey, its Jake Gyllenhael... who wouldn't watch right?

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
jennieTalia said:
I love the Brad Pitt irony though, as he stands there and says (something along the lines of) 'We're never going to be movie stars/famous' etc! That was definately a direcors touch.
I love that too, he says "Television has raised us to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rockstars, but we won't. We are slowly learning that fact and we are very, very pissed off". A great little touch by director, David Fincher.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
3:10 to Yuma.

When it came out I was asked if I wanted to go watch it but said “that movie looks crap, no way”. Luckily I was outvoted and we went to see it. My friends left thinking that it wasn’t that great, but I loved the film.

It’s easy to watch the first half of the movie and dismiss it as a b-grade spaghetti western, but it actually has a really good story and a friken epic & emotional ending…

jennieTalia

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:
I love that too, he says "Television has raised us to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rockstars, but we won't. We are slowly learning that fact and we are very, very pissed off". A great little touch by director, David Fincher.
Yep yep =) thanks for the awesome quote... I knew the vague lines (but unless forced to study it will never be learning a quote again as long as I live ahaha)

The director did actually lay it out rather nicely, with some personal elements- the flickering of Brad Pitt (not to mention he is yum yum in this movie) also added a new dimension, as did the weird non-linear style.

In the book there is this continued referencing to the Mona Lisa... I found it sort of confusing... and although I have heard a lot of people's views I like to think that it relates somewhat to the mystery, that you don't always know what someone is thinking... and that you can mindlessly look at someone without interpreting them correctly. (Like the Mona Lisa smile thing, and the possibly male/female question)

So many things I adore about the novel.... A GREAT PIECE OF WORK.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I still haven't read the novel, I've seen it in a few book stores though.

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
Five fingers with ryan phillipe
good movie but not many get it... or can see whats coming
anyone seen it?

Scissors

HSC
Backdoor Burglar. I don't know why that man placed his wedge in that other guy's anus. I mean, God says not to do that sort of thing.

lollypoplady

HSC
Pan's Labyrinth and The Fountain. Both great movies but considerably confusing.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
jennieTalia said:
Ha! I think nobody gets it unless you read the book, which sheds slightly more light... and I think deserves a re-read from me :O
I love the Brad Pitt irony though, as he stands there and says (something along the lines of) 'We're never going to be movie stars/famous' etc! That was definately a direcors touch.

Ahahaa to the red cedars comment!! It was like throw in a whole bunch of meaningless symbolism in the form of the colour red, and a blind chick who sees... THE COLOUR RED and then get them all to run around in period costumes... and VOILA your crap on a plate. I mean seriously, you could drive a train through the gaps in that film...
haha glad i'm not the only one.
also, what's not to get about the butterfly effect? i just hate the dog scene...

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
The butterfly effect for the first hour then i was like oooohhhigetit. Deja vu the first time just because there was so much shit you had to notice for it to make sense.

Edit: The butterfly effect cos for the first half it isnt clear wtf is going on and why he has mad flash backs and shit

jennieTalia

HSC
dance2urownbeat said:
haha glad i'm not the only one.
also, what's not to get about the butterfly effect? i just hate the dog scene...
I get it, but some others don't :S

There's a tonne of plotholes though...
I mean, if these things become his past when he changes them then in the prison bit how can he go back and make the scars "appear" on his hands in the present when essentially he should have had them since he was a little boy :S

the dog bit is awful *sob*

jennieTalia

HSC
I guess the mind of a psycho is sort of hard to grasp unless you're a criminal profiler. Or absolutely nuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)