• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Movies you're looking forward to (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
CONFORMIST. de palma has long been one of america's finest autuers, and has made more great films that fincher, s. coppola, pt & wes anderson combined.
Argh, don’t make such stupid assumptions. De Palma’s a sloppy, overrated director. His fetish with long camera takes is just, stupid. He seemed to have trained at the Spielberg school of subtlety. And exactly what does prolificacy have to do with anything? De Palma has been making films for 46 years. Coppola has made films for 7. That’s got to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard from you.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
AlleyCat said:
i thought heavenly creatures was wonderful! i think he will do a marvellous job with the lovely bones, if he doesnt fuck up his chances with some dumb casting choice eg Adrien Brody and Dakota Fanning...
i am unconvinced

icecreamdisco

HSC
nwatts said:
Argh, don’t make such stupid assumptions. De Palma’s a sloppy, overrated director. His fetish with long camera takes is just, stupid. He seemed to have trained at the Spielberg school of subtlety. And exactly what does prolificacy have to do with anything? De Palma has been making films for 46 years. Coppola has made films for 7. That’s got to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard from you.
i said he's made more great films than those directors. and why is his obsession with long takes stupid? do you think scorsese's obsession with this technique is stupid too? i don't get the 'subtlety = good' argument either. his style perfectly complements his subject matter, and and even at his most bombastic and melodramatic, he can be subversive. blow out is a fantastic meditation on the nature of the medium he works in, and a damned entertaining film to boot.

which de palma films have you seen, anyway?

Benny said:
Brick's received some pretty negative reviews, but the few scenes I've seen looked really interesting.
huh? ebert and peter travers loved it (not that the latter is very reliable, but he seems to agree with the consensus regarding most films), and it has 100% at rottentomatoes (only 7 reviews, but still...). i haven't heard a bad word about it yet.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Come to think of it, it might've been another recent Elijah Wood movie that received the bad reviews..nevermind

chainedchaos

HSC
Cars
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest
Yours, Mine and Ours
Da Vinci Code
Tristan and Isolde

bassqueen16

HSC
chainedchaos said:
Cars
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest
Yours, Mine and Ours
Da Vinci Code
Tristan and Isolde
AH thank you, i was waiting for someone to mention Tristan and Isolde, its what im hoping to do my major work on for history ext... so lucky theres a movie coming out just when i want to start working on it :p

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I love the Tristan and Isolde legend, but I don't know if this movie's going to be that helpful for your 3u history major work :p It looks like pretty decent fun though

bassqueen16

HSC
Benny_ said:
I love the Tristan and Isolde legend, but I don't know if this movie's going to be that helpful for your 3u history major work :p It looks like pretty decent fun though
hmm yea ino wat u mean, i dont intend on using it as a source or anything, just some inspiration i guess... itll be good to see what they do with it tho :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)