Moving out after HSC? (2 Viewers)

ay0_x

HSC
I'm not a girl you g5ioejrpsdvolkXNJ vbhoduigor-3efkbgj k

Anyway, I've done my research. Krudd is increasing Youth Allowance for uni students. First years get an extra $4000 for the first year. On top of that, all uni students get an extra $2000 per year.
Hence, we will get $6000 on top of the youth allowance, which works out to be 611 a fortnight.
Edit: No you won't qualify. Thought you were '09 for a sec

Also, for every subsequent year after first year, we'll get $1000 instead of $4000, so we'll still get $3000 on top of youth allowance for every year after first year. I like to think of it as an extra $3000 to get settled in.

and um do you have a scholarship or are you magically exempt from paying tuition with your extra $6000?

I'm moving out after HSC too but IDK how you plan to afford living in Parramatta but hey, good luck.

Niek

HSC
My preferences are
1. Wesley
2. Johns
3. Sancta
I have an interview for Wesley but I'm not sure if they got my personal reference so I should check that...
Did you have to fill out all the preferences because I really DONT want to go to any of the others so I just left it blank...

I'm not too worried about the interview, I had an interview for a college at UNSW and was accepted the next day so I think I'll be fine...
I reckon that if you have an interview, they would have gotten your statement - not sure if they can give you an interview without it

Errrr I wasn't sure about the preference thing.. I just did it in case, but I don't think you have to - all I know is that past my third preference, I'm not so keen on college anymore :p

Congrats on the UNSW place!! What sort of stuff did they ask you??

youngminii

Banned
HSC
and um do you have a scholarship or are you magically exempt from paying tuition with your extra $6000?

I'm moving out after HSC too but IDK how you plan to afford living in Parramatta but hey, good luck.
I thought about this and I decided that if I don't save up enough money, I'll ask my daddy.
Yeah I know, so much for financial independence.
Oh well, after being divorced for 13+ years and not supporting my family in any way, I think he owes me at least this much.

ashllis92

HSC
I reckon that if you have an interview, they would have gotten your statement - not sure if they can give you an interview without it

Errrr I wasn't sure about the preference thing.. I just did it in case, but I don't think you have to - all I know is that past my third preference, I'm not so keen on college anymore :p

Congrats on the UNSW place!! What sort of stuff did they ask you??
Yeah thats a valid point about the statement...

I'm not heaps keen on my 3rd preference but I really don't want to try and get private rental straight out of highschool...
At the interview he just asked me about what I like to do, why I want to go to college... basically an indepth version of the application form...

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
It's good to see that not everyone is content to pass their uni years by living at home. I moved out of home when I was still quite young and have lived alone, share-housing, and O/S. I've never lived on campus so I can't comment on that. Living out of home gives you a tremendous amount of freedom, experience, and responsibility. I highly recommend it. The slightly negative tone of this post is so you go into the experience with your eyes open to the reality. I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone.

Firstly, work out a budget that includes everything including spending money and miscellaneous expenses such as pens, haircuts, etc. Then add 20%. Before you move out you should ideally have three months living expenses in the bank. This shouldn't affect Centrelink payments but if its a problem withdraw the cash and keep it somewhere safe in perhaps in your parent's account. You cannot live on Youth Allowance alone so you will have to work at least one day per week.

Additionally, you have to take into account that living out of home is time consuming. Yes, more often than not you live closer to campus and save some time there. On the other hand however, you will have to prepare all of your own meals, do your own shopping, washing, cleaning, sort things out when things go wrong, etc. Even if you feel like you help out a lot at home, there is much more work that you never see until you are supporting yourself. This often means you will have less time for study if you don't have great time management skills.

If you are looking at moving out of home when you first finish school many of you will move into share-houses. Be prepared to explain when you visit places how you intend to support yourself, and emphasize that you will not run off home after a month. Finding your first house is the most challenging and can be quite time consuming and demoralising. If you plan on renting your own place, you will need either a solid work history or have someone prepared to act as a guarantor for you. When you inspect rental properties have the application form already filled out along with supporting documentation and hand it over at the inspection. There is plenty of competition and you are at the bottom of the food chain. Being prepared will be significantly improve your chances of finding a rental.

Lastly, if you can't cook I suggest you begin to learn a few basic skills. It will save you heaps of money, can be quite fun and is rewarding. It's easy and most unis offer some basic courses if you don't have either family or friends who can help you out.

I hope you all have the opportunity to fly the coop while young and enjoy the freedoms it provides.

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
I'm moving out, due to my older brother failing every subject at uni, my parents are convinced that if they DON'T pay my way, I will also fail and join my brother working at the supermarket. It's slightly fail logic but either way they'll be paying my (fully catered) accommodation and also a $100/w allowance which should suit me nicely. I think the other reason may also be that the uni accomodation/allowance is still cheaper then my high school fees. I'm moving to armidale as well, so might take a while to find a job, it'll be nice living in a town, but it's still tiny, I live in the middle of nowhere at the moment. I'm trying for a place on campus (Mary White) but if I don't get in, I can crash at a friend of my parents place until I find somewhere else.

A Poisoned Seed

HSC
Yep :D +++++ haha I plan on moving to Brisbane in January, but moving out of home right after my last exam and staying with family in Surfers Paradise... hopefully this will give me some more time to save up more money for bonds and organise a job ;) Very exciting. :D

verdades

HSC
I plan to go at the end of the HSC, with a friend, to live in Queanbeyan.
I've been watching the rent prices for a while now, and they're currently going down.
Youth Allowance + Rent Assist + a job are going to be the only way I afford to stay there. And the job can't be more than 15 hours a fortnight, assuming I'm getting paid at $15.
I actually don't understand specifically why the income you can earn on youth allowance had to go back down to $236 a fortnight with the '09 gap year people being taken care of. Not fully - they could have at least kept it at $300, because $236 is simply far, far too easy to go over, and if you do, you're actually screwed because youth allowance goes down by half.

That $6000 - well, $5000 at the start of the year - I'd been assuming I'd be good with to go buy some furniture and such, but on top of everything else I'll need to pay then, I'll end up with maybe $2000 left. Which is not so good.
Had been originally taking this into account as my overall/weekly/fortnightly budget, but then I decided against it. Because it's a bulk sum, and comes at half yearly intervals, it's just better off as simple saving, or a bit of bulk spending for necessities and/or maybe a smallish luxury or two.

Pretty sure if anyone can set down some accurate-approximate costs of electricity and water, it would be amazing. I have vague estimates, about $165 quarterly for electricity, and $60 quarterly for water. But they came out of a magazine and so I'm not sure.
As it is, assuming I get a job as I move out, I'll be able to live. Not necessarily save anything, but I should be able to pay for everything.
And my friend plans on getting a 9 - 5 job as she's not going to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)