Moving Out of Home for First Year. (1 Viewer)

NobodyKnows

HSC
Title explains it all. Any first years here who moved out of home? Just wondered what it's like, is all.... because I'll (hopefully) be at Newcastle Uni next year, and I'm sick of my parents. Need to get myself some independence, and I plan to do it by moving out.

Enlighten me?

Just Click It

HSC
Moving out of home will make you be closer to ur parents. So if you don't want that, I suggest you do not do it. :p You will see your parents as human beings, not as your "parents" if you know what I mean.

It's a lot of fun... I'm off-campus, so I don't know what it'd be like on-campus. There's a lot of work to do... like it's wierd having total independence, but it's very fun, except when you're stuck at Port Macquarie during holidays, on the computer at 12:16 am because your mum emotionally blackmailed you to come back home. I'm living with 4 mainland chinese (I'm white australian 1st generation wog (my my mum was a south african and my dad was a pommie)), that are 4-5 years older then me, so it is a bit of a culture shock. If you're not secure though, move in with people you already know and people around your own age.

If you do have the money, though a little off on the social-skill side of things, I would HIGHLY suggest you go into residence. You will meet a fuckload of people (I was there with this guy when he moved in) in the first few weeks, and most likely form a friendship circle that will make you feel more at home. Living off-campus, especially with guys (and one girl) that talk mandarin 24/7 kinda isolates me and forces me to make friends outside of home.

On the positive side of things though, if you're vegetarian (I'm vegan), you will meet a lot of others with similar mindsets. Before I came to Uni, I had only met two vego's in my entire life (people who eat fish and say they're vegie DO NOT count). There are 3 other's in my music class (out of 48), 3 down my street (I've only properly talked to 6-7 people), one of them in a friend's house and a lot of them around the CBD (Hari Krishna's place serves vegie only curries, $7.80, all you can eat (it's GOOD!), and is so chillaxin.) So yeah... there are a lot of alternate people around which is good. (Yay!)

Come to Newcastle... it's awesome =D :wave:

NobodyKnows

HSC
I would love to do Music at Newcastle next year - I'm a singer, and a flautist (and I'll tell myself I'm a guitarist and a pianist too, lol), but no way could I get into the Con, I'm nowhere near good enough.

Thanks for your reply.

Just Click It

HSC
Awww! You only need approx grade 5 to get in. Once you're in, you will improve so fast you don't know it. I was approx grade 4 at the start of year 12 (I started Cello in year 10 - 2004)... by the time I auditioned, 5-6, but now, I'd be around 8. What are you interested in doing then? Seriously... I'm really looking forward to going back :) Noone hates doing music that I know of. :D

If you are interested in coming to the con... come and enquire about having a talk with whoever would teach you. They'd probably auditition you (don't quote me though) so they'd have a fairly good idea on what you're expected to do.

Good luck with year 12! :wave:

NobodyKnows

HSC
I've never done grades, but I've played flute for five years and have been singing for about twelve. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but as the end of Yr 12 looms closer still, I can't decide what subject I want to teach!! At the moment, it's a toss-up between Music and English. I'd love to be able to teach both, but I'm yet to come up with an academic program that suits my stubborness; not sure if one even exists.

Just Click It

HSC
You should be fine with 5 years of flute playing. If you do music 1 and get 80+ (I did music 1), there should be no problems at all and if you do music 2, there should be no dramas either.

There's a Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Teaching course you can do. About half of the people in my course are doing that... the other half doing performance (not sure of the exact figures). The bmus/bteach course is a lot easier performance wise... e.g. your end of year recitals are much shorter and you arn't expected to perform at the same level as performance students. The audition expectations are about a grade lower then performance as well (grade 4 standard). bmus/bteach is for people specifically wanting to go into teaching in a school environment. You can do a bmus course specilizing in studio teaching... with the same requirements as bmus/bteach, though I havn't heard of anyone that has chosen to do that (yet).

(reply to ur PM) Life around the con is VERY relaxed. You are expected to goto ensemble rehersals, and you need to goto your Harmony/Aural (which is half of the Studies of Western Music course) lecture otherwise you will fall behind, but besides that... Haha... I have only missed one lecture the whole term (which turned out to be a Harmony/Aural ugh) because of a late assignment for Music History/Research.

My time table at the moment is a bludge. I have 7 hours a week lectures, practice (personally I try and do 3 1/2 - 4 hours a day but that varies from person to person) and the odd bit of homework. There will be a lot of time for you to do whatever you want :D The most work you are going to do is practicle... thankgod! I'm personally not a writing-person so yeah... haha!

A lot of people have to catch the bus into town, which is pretty cheap. A few people have managed to find a place within walking distance... including me, though it is 20 minutes (with my cello and a ton of books) each way. Common Rent around the CBD ranges from 70-120 (though one place was advertising for $170 a week shared lol!). I got mine for $78 + $10 expenses. I think I'm paying too much, but that's what you get for moving into a place where the people there are already friends (grrr).

I chose Newcastle because a) I knew I had a decent chance getting in b) I liked my Cello lecturer (and still do!) and c) it was a lot friendlier and less competitive then places like sydney. People do practice, but it isn't like "I have to practice 10 more hours a day because I want to beat Joe blow!"... and if it were like that, I think it would ruin the whole atmosphere. You do as well as you want to do, though you still have the encouragment of other people.

The social life is great. People tend to be a lot friendlier (I've typed that word before and I don't think it's spelled properly ugh) then "non-conners" (haha) so I don't think you'll have any problems making friends around the place. There are bars (and other places) you can goto around the place with people, so you'll never be left with nowhere to go.

Just a word of warning: Do not go anywhere near gosford station between 11:00pm - 3:00am. If you do, make sure it's with a shitload of people. I was with two guys from the con and we were "nearly mugged" (long story), and saw a lot of dero's around the place.

Haha... that's about it. I can't think of anything more to say!

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
i could have done music ;) but i dont like practice

you strings and your intolerable bowing

Up Down Up Down, how complicated is that???????

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
im a brass player, of course i think of it like that

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
When I started learning piano (way way back when) I was so sure I wanted to be a musician, was all I ever did... sat at the piano and practised.. but then my teacher pushed me to do exams, and I had to practice this music that I really didn't enjoy, and got nothing out of... regardless, I did to Grade 3, hated every minute and gave up piano early in Year 10.... took it up again in Year 11 for my HSC and did it purely for enjoyment.. no exams!!

I'm now a piano teacher and absolutely loving it because its for me, and I can play the music I choose!!

That's my little story about piano exams and the con.... mwah

em_516

bludging..
HSC
haha yeh, i enjoyed piano until i started grades..i also got to grade 3 and then quit..when it starts feeling like a chore, it's shit

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
em_516 said:
haha yeh, i enjoyed piano until i started grades..i also got to grade 3 and then quit..when it starts feeling like a chore, it's shit
yupyup. and I enjoy it so much more now

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
winds are awesome :D I <3 the Clarinet

when you gonna come back to orchestra johnny?!? we only have ONE CELLO for this concert!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)