Moving to a new school, need advice (1 Viewer)

zombies

HSC
Hey guys, I got into North Sydney Girls for yr11 next year and I need some advice~

My current school is just this small private girls school where I'm generally at or near the top of the grade in my subjects without much effort, and so when I move to NSG next year I'm a bit worried that things might be a heck of a lot more competitive. I want to do well, like rank within the top 10-20 people in the year (I don't really know if that will be a relatively easy or hard goal yet..) and I was wondering if there was anything I should do to try and get a headstart now.

I know that after the school cert, school is going to be a bludge and then I've got the holidays, so I thought maybe I should make use of the spare time that I'll have... I'm doing subjects like Chem, Phys and Maths 3unit and so I was wondering if I could maybe buy a textbook and just start learning from it myself. I'm pretty good at independent learning - I'm not really the kind of student that pays close attention to the teacher.

Or should I just chill out and not bother with studying or learning ahead or anything? And just catch up to everyone else next year.

So yeah, advice appreciated :D

tl;dr - moving to nsg. need advice on how to pwn the competition or should i just not bother at all?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If you want to then go ahead, like you said, you're good at learning yourself.

I advise however, not to burn out too much during the holidays after SC, work ahead as you will, but leave plenty of time for yourself to relax, hang out etc.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you should try and get a head start on everything, I assume most people will and that's really the only way, also remain consistent, and you'll have to put in effort there (if you're doing well currently with minimal effort).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, congrats on making it into NSG! I'm moving to a fully selective school next year for Year 11 as well so I know how you feel!

Getting top 10 - 20 at NSG would be very (extremely) difficult, considering that NSG is a school which always places into the top 5 in the state at least.
Headstart or not? That depends on you, most of the people here will say 'enjoy your last year of freedom, year 10 is the last year for freedom so just enjoy it', meaning don't do anything!
How to pwn the competition? - Get a decent headstart but don't overdo it! Instead of studying for School Certificate, you could easily study ahead for Year 11 stuff and by the time you hit mid Year 11, you can already start on the Year 12 HSC course... So what if you don't get all band 6s in the SC (not saying that you can't get all band 6s without study but in the case it happens)? You'll be ahead of the rest of the state and by the time the HSC comes along, you'll be the one getting the possible band 6s!

I actually don't care about the SC anymore because I didn't do so well in SC Trials D: To be honest, I'd rather study something like calculus rather than revising for SC Maths or doing SC Maths past papers... I'd rather study ahead on the Physics Prelim Syllabus dot points rather than the SC Science exam!

Should you bludge or not? Again, it depends on you! Maybe, do some work for Year 11 preparation but don't go overboard?

Overall, you have a bright future ahead of you!
Being in North Sydney Girls + Having a good work ethic attitude = Potential Success for SURE!

zombies

HSC
Thanks for the fast replies! I guess the general consensus here is that I try and do some work.

So then, another question: what textbooks do you recommend for 3unit maths, Chemistry and Physics that would be easy to learn from by yourself?

@RivalryofTroll: Wasn't planning at all to study for the SC =P Waste of my time... But thanks for your post you are very enthusiastic haha.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
3U - Cambridge, Terry Lee
Chem - Conquering
Phys - Jacaranda

zombies

HSC
3U - Cambridge, Terry Lee
Chem - Conquering
Phys - Jacaranda
Thanks! Yet another question: for 3unit maths, do I buy both a 2unit book and a 3unit book? Or do I just have to buy the 3unit book?
Sorry, not really sure how the whole 2u/3u thing works lol.

Also... when searching for the Jacaranda Physics book I can only seem to find one that's for the VCE? Is there some HSC version somewhere..?

Last edited:

MATHSCAPE

HSC
Thanks! Yet another question: for 3unit maths, do I buy both a 2unit book and a 3unit book? Or do I just have to buy the 3unit book?
Sorry, not really sure how the whole 2u/3u thing works lol.

Also... when searching for the Jacaranda Physics book I can only seem to find one that's for the VCE? Is there some HSC version somewhere..?
Try Fitzpatrick. You'll need to get the 2U and 3U book but it is Year 11 and 12 together which is a bonus.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Try Fitzpatrick. You'll need to get the 2U and 3U book but it is Year 11 and 12 together which is a bonus.
Pretty sure the 3U Cambridge book has all the 2U stuff in it. That's what I've been told anyway, some one can confirm this or not.

zombies

HSC
Pretty sure the 3U Cambridge book has all the 2U stuff in it. That's what I've been told anyway, some one can confirm this or not.
I really have no idea about any of these textbooks :s Which one is the easiest? And yes if someone could tell me what's covered in the 3U cambridge book that'd be nice.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I really have no idea about any of these textbooks :s Which one is the easiest? And yes if someone could tell me what's covered in the 3U cambridge book that'd be nice.
3U Cambridge is a very good textbook to use, but it is not an easy one. The questions in it are put into 3 categories:

Foundation: The work at a 2U level, very basic and repetitive.

Development: This section has a variety of questions that vary in difficulty. 3U students should be able to do these.

Extension: These questions are for the best students, and from what I've been told are harder than any question that would appear in a 3U exam.

So if you are good at maths, I'd recommend Cambridge. I'm doing what you are doing(learning ahead for next year) and I find it to be pretty good.

MATHSCAPE

HSC
Not sure if it's the same for Year 11 but I'm looking at the Year 12 3U Cambridge book and it only has Year 12 3U topics.

Oh, I suggested Fitzpatrick because it has challenging questions. I thought it was good as I was in the top class. I've only used 4U Cambridge but if you want the easier one of the two, I'd say go with Cambridge then. Year 12 2U&3U Cambridge books only have topics in their respective course, nothing else.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me when I say if you want to get a headstart, ignore the SC and study ahead and then have a decent holidays.

Honestly, I'm a non selective person and I scraped high band 5s to high band 6s in the SC with essentially no study.

zombies

HSC
Trust me when I say if you want to get a headstart, ignore the SC and study ahead and then have a decent holidays.

Honestly, I'm a non selective person and I scraped high band 5s to high band 6s in the SC with essentially no study.
Of course.. I think the SC is ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm probably not even going to study hard for my school's yearlies. I'll be able to manage a B in most subjects and thats fine by me since I'm leaving anyway.. just gonna bludge all term w00t w00t.

I guess I'll get the Cambridge textbook(s). Found out that the 3unit book covers these topics:

1. Methods in algebra; 2. Numbers and functions; 3. Graphs and inequations; 4. Trigonometry; 5. Coordinate geometry; 6. Sequences and series; 7. The derivative; 8. The quadratic function; 9. The geometry of the Parabola; 10. The geometry of the derivative; 11. Integration; 12. The logarithmic function; 13. The exponential function; 14. The trigonometric functions;

Is that all of the topics covered in 2unit AND 3unit or are those just the 3unit topics? I'm still not sure if I need to buy both books.. I feel like such a pain asking all these questions, sorry!

MATHSCAPE

HSC
Of course.. I think the SC is ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm probably not even going to study hard for my school's yearlies. I'll be able to manage a B in most subjects and thats fine by me since I'm leaving anyway.. just gonna bludge all term w00t w00t.

I guess I'll get the Cambridge textbook(s). Found out that the 3unit book covers these topics:

1. Methods in algebra; 2. Numbers and functions; 3. Graphs and inequations; 4. Trigonometry; 5. Coordinate geometry; 6. Sequences and series; 7. The derivative; 8. The quadratic function; 9. The geometry of the Parabola; 10. The geometry of the derivative; 11. Integration; 12. The logarithmic function; 13. The exponential function; 14. The trigonometric functions;

Is that all of the topics covered in 2unit AND 3unit or are those just the 3unit topics? I'm still not sure if I need to buy both books.. I feel like such a pain asking all these questions, sorry!
Preliminary 3U topics: other inequalities, circle geometry, further trigonometry (sums and differences, t formula, identities and equations), angle between two lines, internal and external division of lines into given ratios, parametric representation, permutations and combinations, polynomials and harder applications of preliminary 2U.

The Year 11 3U Cambridge book seems to cover most of the 2U course, preliminary and HSC.

Here's the content for Year 12 2U and 3U Cambridge.
http://imageshack.us/f/838/17479100.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/254/13614367.jpg/

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I suggest getting ahead with maths as much as possible, maths is the only subject where preliminary topics are tested and besides that a few of the year 12 topics rely heavily on preliminary concepts. Dont stress over preliminary ranks too much and dont burn yourself out before year 12! That being said it could be useful to start year 12 work straight after your preliminary yearlies or even a term or so before then if you are confident with the preliminary stuff.

zombies

HSC
Well thanks a bunch for the help guys! Hopefully I can work up the motivation to study lol.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
1. if you are really worried about marks and not being motivated and stuff, try tutoring

2. every year in HS is a bludge year, including your hsc year lol, unless you want to do med, then you have to try during hsc year

3. dont be cocky, dont be an arse and put pics of 2pm/justin bieber or whatever on your books, great conversation starter, guaranteed friends

zombies

HSC
1. if you are really worried about marks and not being motivated and stuff, try tutoring

2. every year in HS is a bludge year, including your hsc year lol, unless you want to do med, then you have to try during hsc year

3. dont be cocky, dont be an arse and put pics of 2pm/justin bieber or whatever on your books, great conversation starter, guaranteed friends
I'm not planning on treating yr11 or yr12 as a bludge year lol. And I'm not really a fan of 2pm or JB or twilight or anything, if I was going to put a picture on my books/binder or whatever it would probably be like Altair from assassin's creed or something and I doubt that would be much of a conversation starter, especially at a girls school haha. Thanks for the advice though~

oisac

HSC
Hey guys, I got into North Sydney Girls for yr11 next year and I need some advice~

My current school is just this small private girls school where I'm generally at or near the top of the grade in my subjects without much effort, and so when I move to NSG next year I'm a bit worried that things might be a heck of a lot more competitive. I want to do well, like rank within the top 10-20 people in the year (I don't really know if that will be a relatively easy or hard goal yet..) and I was wondering if there was anything I should do to try and get a headstart now.

I know that after the school cert, school is going to be a bludge and then I've got the holidays, so I thought maybe I should make use of the spare time that I'll have... I'm doing subjects like Chem, Phys and Maths 3unit and so I was wondering if I could maybe buy a textbook and just start learning from it myself. I'm pretty good at independent learning - I'm not really the kind of student that pays close attention to the teacher.

Or should I just chill out and not bother with studying or learning ahead or anything? And just catch up to everyone else next year.

So yeah, advice appreciated :D

tl;dr - moving to nsg. need advice on how to pwn the competition or should i just not bother at all?
l personally moved from in year 12! LOL (start of year 12)...l knew a few people there so transition wasn't that bad, but obviously its abit dawnting as yu no little to nobody there and every is like whos that kid rofl, imo dont worry about rank for now,,,in prelim study and see where you are, where you can improve....l was top at my old school then went to a school 300 + ranks better and damn becoming number one there meant getting 98 + ATAR haahahha but as l said take preliminary as a year to test some study techniques, see the smart people in the grade and measure ur ability and wat rank that can get you...best of lluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)