• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

mpc and the purpose of the labour market (1 Viewer)

endofdroad

HSC
oh man i wish i could study harder! can any explain 2 me how mpc works n outliine the purpose of the labour market

Last edited by a moderator:

avini

HSC
What do you mean by the purpose of the labour market?

gnrlies

HSC
The labour market is just like any other market.

It has two core elements to it:

Supply and Demand

Supply = the workforce and the accumulation of their skills (I.e. employees)

Demand = the demand for labour represents the quantity of such labour that is demanded by either the private or public sector (e.g. businesses wish to hire staff). It is whats known as a derrived demand, as the demand for labour depends on the demand for goods and services.

One more interesting aspect about the labour market in australia and most western countries, is that we have a minimum wage (or a price floor). This can sometimes result in unemployment if it is too high (see diagram)

Ew refers to the equilibrium wage which occurs naturally when the supply of labour falls in equilibrium with the demand for labour - as it would in any labour market.

Howevor, as we have a minimum wage, we don't realise this Equilibrium wage. Instead a price floor of Mw (Minimum wage) is imposed.

In this case, demand does not equal supply and we have unemployment. Demand for labour is only at point Mq, yet a far greater quantity of people wish to work at that minimum wage.

The line UE represents the level of unemployment which results from having such a minimum wage.

A few notes:

this is an extremely simplified model which relies on assumptions which are unrealistic and effects the validity of this model. That being said, it does demonstrate why unemployment can result from a minimum wage, and does show why we have no qualms about lowering the real wage if it will reduce unemployment.

Last edited:

Always

HSC
endofdroad said:
like wat is d labour market and what does it do!
Labour is a factor of production and a resource so its supply is significant to the economic aim of 'maximising the use scarce resources'. The demand, supply and consequently price of labour will determine things such as utility, unemployment and productivity, all of which affect the use of a scarce resource. This is particularly significant at the moment as our economy is faced with supply constraints and our unemployment rate approaches the NAIRU. Low unemployment can affect inflation as shown by the short-term Phillips Curve, so as you can see, the way the labour market operates will have an effect on the rest of the economy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)