• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mr Howards Education Scheme (1 Viewer)

twiddla

Howard announced today a whole heap of money for state schools and lower level private schools for structural improvements, however he said it would be his govt who administered it (not the states). I haven't read the much stuff on this scheme but what does everyone think of it?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Nicho said:
Howard announced today a whole heap of money for state schools and lower level private schools for structural improvements, however he said it would be his govt who administered it (not the states). I haven't read the much stuff on this scheme but what does everyone think of it?
Its sounds better that the Federal Government will manage it...to me, Carr doesn't seem that interested in education or health...more recreation and art.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
From what you wrote it sounds a bit like the Labor version without the cutbacks for the expensive private schools... or not if it's only structural. I don't know.

But if it is Federally administered, it's another layer of bureaucracy, because the states are supposed to manage that themselves. I don't dispute, thorny, that the Carr govt has been pretty pissweak about public schools, but up til this point school buulding and maintenance has been a state responsibility, and any policy designed to shift some of this to the Federal level requires more bureacracy to administer it, as well as being something of a vote grab (is there anything that isn't) by trying to emulate the better received parts of Labor policy. That's how it looks anyway.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yep

$1 billion capital funding increase for government schools and poorer-resourced non-government schools - smh.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
$1 billion for the whole country's schools would seem a little thinly spread given that there are something like 9000 schools = ~$11,000 per school = not very much for repairs or new structures...
That actually equals $111,111.11 per school...still not alot though, but better than $11,000

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Howard is desperate to pull out an education plan in oder to save his political future

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Tuna said:
Howard is desperate to pull out an education plan in oder to save his political future
Definitely - despite the controversy it raised about public vs private, the Labor plan seemed to go down quite well on the whole. Education being the priority it is, the Liberals can't afford to give away an advantage like that.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
its just to savour some votes
but school doesn't matter too me as much nemore
i now care about HECS

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well it's better than the Labor scheme, which cuts funding from private schools.

ellymelly

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Well it's better than the Labor scheme, which cuts funding from private schools.
A scheme which gives instead of takes, as well as making sure the money is distributed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)