• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MSN Messenger 8.0 Beta (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh roland is one of the best. He taught most of the others (fizical etc)

btw, a new version of 8 was leaked. Has many GUI changes; it appears to be the same build as Bill gates was using when he unveiled all this.

Posting links to this unreleased, private version however. is considered illegal. (so is using it) So i wouldnt recommend doing that anywhere (mess.be for example has banned/suspended ~50 people for doing so in the last day)

Raginsheep

HSC
What about the matching window's bar rafy? Style Xp or something else?

n2o_lonewolf74

HSC
they plan to integrate a shit load of functions and options which most of us won't use....

all we want is a friggin decent messenger, not a damn integrated search engine and all this whizz bang stuff we won't use

anarchron

HSC
I personally have abandoned MSN messenger ages ago for Jabber. Jabber is so much better with some jabber client like http://www.pandion.be/ are beautifully elegant and simple.

Plus with Jabber, you can connect to almost every network out there be it, AIM, ICQ, MSN or Yahoo. I'm very impressed with the quality of the Jabber MSN transport. It supports nicknames, status message, the little caption and even DP. Jabber servers also never go down entirely unlike MSN.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
anarchron said:
Jabber servers also never go down entirely unlike MSN.
All connections to the MSN network have to go through Microsoft's servers.

05er

HSC
There's two levels of server on MSN.

1) Connection, and
2) Conversation.

Conversation sever always crashes, Jabber replaces this with theirs.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
omg is that the new 8.0 messenger? looks so retarded
what's the new features for messenger 8.0 beta?? bigger contact list fonts or what?

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
microsoft is just bloating everything to try and pack as many features as possible into one tiny little app.
why cant they just go back to a simple IM client, I like display pics and the such, but they are just pushing it too far.
If you want somthing to replace MSN Messenger client.. try amsn (http://amsn.sourceforge.net) It's a little buggy on my mac.. but its pretty cool all round. I haven't tried it on my pc however.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Windows Live Messenger is now in a private beta stage.

There are currently 2 classes of people who can access the beta atm. There are offical microsoft selected testers (I'm an official beta tester) and "invited" users who do not have access to the Microsoft Beta Newgroups and Microsoft Connect. (these users are invited by the official testers who get invites to distribute)

As for its progress, only 1 beta version has been released to testers, and an update has not been seen in some weeks (one would imagine due to the christmas period), so i would estimate a public release in at least 2 months.

Keep track of its development at the blog by its developers: http://spaces.msn.com/members/messengersays/

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
has anyone tried it?
when is it out?
how it look like??

Beta testers can give out invites now.

But it is shit, I uninstalled it straight away. Nothing notable new from MSN7.5.

Lavenderpup

HSC
If i didn't have to reformat my comp for a new HDD I would have stuck to the msn 7 version with the inf nudges as revenge against nudgers. ah well. far too bloaty indeed.

gorgo31

HSC
Does anyone know "how" they became a Beta tester? I got the email from Microsoft inviting me to download and use as a Beta tester, but I don't remember signing up for it anywhere. They now always pester me to invite other people. Are Beta testers just those who clicked the box on "Allow Microsoft to gather information on how you use Messenger?" ?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
gorgo31 said:
Does anyone know "how" they became a Beta tester? I got the email from Microsoft inviting me to download and use as a Beta tester, but I don't remember signing up for it anywhere. They now always pester me to invite other people. Are Beta testers just those who clicked the box on "Allow Microsoft to gather information on how you use Messenger?" ?
you must have signed up at http://ideas.live.com/

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i've got ~30 invites now.

Pm me if you would like one :)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Invites mean you send an email to another user "inviting" them to join the trial. It gives them a specific link to get the software. I got a few for Windows Live Mail, but they didn't seem to work when I sent them. Oh well.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)