Mths Ext.2 Class of 2010 (1 Viewer)

Jonneeh

HSC
We've started school over two weeks now and so far Ive had had 6 periods of class including this week. So i have class in a double period once a week.

Anyways my point is:

• What book are you using? Cambridge
  • What topic your starting with? Complex Numbers (up to Ex. 3 of CN)
  • What pace is your school going at? Try to do an exercise per double? I Guess
  • How are you coping? Maths Ext.2 is like last on my priorities, always leave it to last minute, need to sort out how to manage time
  • How much time you spend on each exercise? 3-4Hrs? too much? maybe im just slow

--PS: When you have class, what does you teacher do--

At my school all my math classes are separate; 2U School time, 3U Out, 4U Out.
How about yours?

And while i'm at it, for 2U were still doing topics out of the preliminary course (Maths in Focus) and for 3U were in between the prelim and HSC course (Maths in Focus)

Yes its a long post.
Sorry for the interrogation. Just curious where everybody is at.

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Using Cambridge for 3 unit but Terry Lee Advanced Mathematics: A Complete Extension 2 course for 4 unit.

Our school's doing something really different. The teacher is planning to finish most of the ext 1 course and then move onto ext 2 afterwards, so it probably won't be till late this term or early next term that we actually get into a pure ext 2 topic. So yeah, I have it fairly easy for now, but it'll probably get hectic later.

pqd123

HSC
im using terry lee for ext2 and maths in focus for ext1. we've only had two ext2 lessons during sport and we did implicit differentiation for one lesson then we started complex numbers. im doing alright but i heard that complex numbers is actually the easiest topic so i dont know how ill go with the harder topics

harry4

HSC
i would say that complex was probably the hardest when first doing it in class, maybe thats just cos it was first topic. but then when you go back and study it is one of the easier ones

and in past papers it is always like the second q

Jonneeh

HSC
Complex numbers the easiest :chainsaw:
I havnt really sat down and read the theory. I just do the exercise and try to compare it with the work solutions. But with Cambridge skipping those "easy""you should already know or figure out" steps, its kind of confusing.

*Spoon food PL0x* never the key to success:mad1:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
* What book are you using? Cambridge

Cambridge, Terry Lee, Patel, Fitzpatrick

* What topic your starting with? Complex Numbers (up to Ex. 3 of CN)

Complex Numbers. Up to vectors

* What pace is your school going at?

Too fast! Complex numbers is gonna be finished by the end of next week

* How are you coping?

Textbook questions are alright but tutor gives exam style questions and boy, they are tough
* How much time you spend on each exercise?

two hours coz the school gives too MUCH!

How about yours?

2U + 3U - during school time
4U - out

And while i'm at it, for 2U were still doing topics out of the preliminary course (Maths in Focus) and for 3U were in between the prelim and HSC course (Maths in Focus)

in stupid 2u, we're doing integration
and in 3u, we're doing mathematica induction.

can't say that we're behind in 2u and 3u because the order of our topics are mixed around..

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Complex numbers the easiest :chainsaw:
I havnt really sat down and read the theory. I just do the exercise and try to compare it with the work solutions. But with Cambridge skipping those "easy""you should already know or figure out" steps, its kind of confusing.

*Spoon food PL0x* never the key to success:mad1:
Yeah, Cambridge has really good questions for practice and the extension questions are highly useful, however I have always found their explanations and theory somewhat lacking, as it is often (for me) quite hard to understand. But this doesn't really make a difference if you've got an awesome teacher as they can explain it all for you.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Using Cambridge for 3 unit but Terry Lee Advanced Mathematics: A Complete Extension 2 course for 4 unit.

Our school's doing something really different. The teacher is planning to finish most of the ext 1 course and then move onto ext 2 afterwards, so it probably won't be till late this term or early next term that we actually get into a pure ext 2 topic. So yeah, I have it fairly easy for now, but it'll probably get hectic later.
yeh our skools doing something similar. we did circle geo, soem other 2u topics and doing binomial theory stuff now then in the next week or so we're gonna start complex numbers. our skools using patels book. im not sure if thats good but iv got a copy of cambridge and coroneos if i find patels bad.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Yeah, Cambridge has really good questions for practice and the extension questions are highly useful, however I have always found their explanations and theory somewhat lacking, as it is often (for me) quite hard to understand. But this doesn't really make a difference if you've got an awesome teacher as they can explain it all for you.
i dont think they categorize questions into fundamental, development and extension in the 4u textbook.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah they don't categorise in the cambridge 4u textbook

fitzpatrick textbook is somewhat lacking..

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i dont think they categorize questions into fundamental, development and extension in the 4u textbook.
Okay, yeah as I mentioned I only use Cambridge for ext 1. Thanks for pointing it out though.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
* What book are you using?

Cambridge, Coroneos, Patel, Fitzpatrick, Bostock

* What topic your starting with?

Complex Numbers. Up to Locus

Fairly fast, but it's alright. We'll have complex done at the end of this week

* How are you coping?

Not too bad, just a lot of work.

1 hour max, but we get 4-5 exercises for homework

How about yours?

2U + 3U - during school time
4U - out

We haven't done 2U in a Looooooooooooooooooong while but the last topic we did was integration (finished all of Fitz apart from Applications to the Physical world and growth and decay.)

In 3U we're doing Inverse functions and have finished all of the 3U fitz apart from Induction and Binomial theorem and Series and Sequences etc.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Finished Complex Numbers, Polynomials, Some of Harder 3 Unit and Graphs (because my school cheated by starting half way through last term).

Currently on Integation.

I use Fitzpatrick, Terry Lee, Patel and Cambridge.

Jonneeh

HSC
Finished Complex Numbers, Polynomials, Some of Harder 3 Unit and Graphs (because my school cheated by starting half way through last term).

Currently on Integation.

I use Fitzpatrick, Terry Lee, Patel and Cambridge.
Unfair =.=

K

khorne

Self teach at home...At school we are doing complex (boring) but I have practically finished the course...

princessashe

HSC
* What book are you using?

None as yet. Year 12 2009 have them. We make do with photocopies sheets.

* What topic your starting with?

Complex Numbers. Up to vectors, sadly we had a late start.

Speedy, well I think. My class started late but seems to be catching up with ease.

* How are you coping?

i find the concepts simple but a little too much homework, its chewing into my other subjects.

Varies but seems to be far too long.

How about yours?

2U-done. 3 and 4 U scheduled periods in school time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)