• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Much needed notes on business studies - advice on notetaking and answering questions (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
in all honesty (and i dont mean to sound mean), but i seriously doubt if anyone will send you their notes...

if you are after notes, have a look on the main page (www.boredofstudies.org).. that will be your best bet :)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
best advice is to do notes with the syllabus in front of u as u go along.........

bosers are usually enthusiastic abt helping pplz out, but not if they have left it to the last minute....

you are better off asking specific questions than asking for pplz to send their notes/assignments to u....

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
why dont u think its enough? ...do u think ur not covering all the pts?

if so, then go for another textbook.

the leading edge ones are alrightie, and the syks and codsi one is not too bad either. The Chapman prob has the most info, though you dont need half of the textbook.

with biz dont get caught up on the details, just remember the big framework... other than summarising notes, you can do the following:

- read the glossary and know wot the terms means.... i memorised the whole 10 pages of glossary, i did it not by remembering word for word, but i rmembered the key word/s that associate with that paritcular term. don't try to memorise all of them if you have a bad memory or dont have time, just remember the key words that always pop up and from those terms learn to distinguish eg: difference between derivities and a debenture etc. I was able to remember the whole glossay because i started earli,

- do lots of praticie reports, you will find as time goes on that writing report is just like re-writing the textbook in simpler format with more diagrams. biz report praticialli regergitates the textbook, this is da case for section 3

- section 4 - section 3 book regergitated info + case study. This is where you have to be realli familiar with ur case study. hence when ur writing ur notes, thing how does your case study relate to this. eg: for the 4 Ps, how does your biz appraoch each P? ... if you don't know, try to imagine a reaonsable response or seek further help by research or contacting the orgainisation (though they often dont know the answer to a specific question)

- do heapz of practice papers.

- when u get a short answer question, first identify what topic it is in, and how mani marks, if its asking for the marketing strategies and is worth 4 marks, you should instantli identify its asking for the 4 Ps. (4 key words = 4 marks).

if its a more general question such as:

Analyse the strategies Sydney PTY LTD can adopt if it is experiencing very high staff absenteeism and very low productivity

Then these are the key things you can talk about:

Staff Absteeism

Management should conduct interviews with staff, in which, they clearly state the code of conduct, code of ethics and share the businesss vision and mission with the staff.

Staff who are high in absenteeism will be warned with a letter of reprimand. The interview can also be used to identify the main causes of absenteeism and solutions will be reviewed.

Low Productivity

In improving low productivity, management should change the autocratic leadership style to a participative or democratic style. Managers should emphasise on their interpersonal role by motivating staff through rewards (there is a graph in the Chapman book with details abt both extrinsic and intrinsic rewards - use that graph), eg: Employee of the Month Awards. Overall, Sydneys must establish a high esprit de corps. This could be achieved by identifying the change agents. Management should also adopt a geocentric approach in the workforce to nourish and encourage higher employees skills.

this example is a lil excessive for a short answer question, but say if that is worth 4 marks, you will def got full marks.

strategy:

with ani topic, think of the key words for that topic and chuck in as mani key words as u can think of and present them in a logical manner. From the above, you can see i have pretty much added meat to the employment relations bit of the syllabus. I did that by firing all the biz terminology i know at the marker. This is where a good knowledge of key words really help.

Last edited:

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
hey judes stop trying to scab our notes, we took forever to type them up you spastic lol :p

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by charmed_cuties
oi shut up nicole man i do have notes i typed up like around 20 pages on notes for 2 topics!!
yeah judy, realised matey when u head off to the library and scab their paper for printing. meh, im going to try and transfer all notes onto palm cards.

= Jennifer =

HSC
i think u left typing up your notes for business too late they take forever to do

but i suppose it is better than not doing them at all

my advice is use as many resources as possible, SYLLABUS SYLLABUS SYLLABUS and try to put diagrams to help explain certain things place some sort of marker such as a star next to syllabus points you are not sure of to ask your teacher

goodluck

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
For me, the best way was to make mind maps out of the syllabus--it helps u see the topic and how everything links together.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
i think u left typing up your notes for business too late they take forever to do

but i suppose it is better than not doing them at all

my advice is use as many resources as possible, SYLLABUS SYLLABUS SYLLABUS and try to put diagrams to help explain certain things place some sort of marker such as a star next to syllabus points you are not sure of to ask your teacher

goodluck

LOL she has heaps of notes, ive seen her sash.

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
i dont scab off library resources! You can even ask the librarian!!! Hey its there for pplz that need there info printed n e ways!!
wateva its not like u havent printed stuff out referring to legal studies especially woman!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)