• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Simpson Freak

HSC
"There was no implication of Muhummad being a terrorist in any of the cartoons in the context they were originally published in, and since this was the only context they were ever supposed to be published in I can't see how you can say that they are depicting him as such."

well try to stop denying it, the one with the bomb turban is a clear terrorist label.

The Muslim community would have been pissed off even if the one with the bomb on his head weren't there."

errr no the fact that in one of the cartoons mohammad supports the terrorists that he would help them in heaven is one that obviously shows mohammad is supporting the radicals, and saying that all muslims by their religion must support the terrorists.

anyway you still missed the point on purpose, how come there wasnt the same degree of anger when south park made him a power ranger.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How much research have you done on the methods of the Danish media? None? Then keep your mouth shut until you do, because afterwards you will realise it was posing a question, not making a statement.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
errr no the fact that in one of the cartoons mohammad supports the terrorists that he would help them in heaven is one that obviously shows mohammad is supporting the radicals, and saying that all muslims by their religion must support the terrorists.
What the hell? So In reaction they come out and threaten to bomb people and kill people and be terrorists? If they were upset about islam being portrayed in the light of terrorism they have a funny way of going about it :/

how come there wasnt the same degree of anger when south park made him a power ranger.
Who knows? How you guys select what you're going to be outraged by is beyond me... I mean look at the fuss over this, yet muslims come out and condone terrorism (not just cartoons... real people) and there's no counter-protests... My assumption is southpark is not known about in the middle east and also it is a regular cartoon show - not a part of a newspaper.

Simpson Freak

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't know why you're talking about me? I've only just got here :/
well on one of your previous posts you made it seem like every muslim supports the violent revenge attacks by the more radical types.

i agree with your condemnation of such people, but you make it seem like i agree, but again you fail to acknowledge that the paper had a big part in this, even though they are the lesser of 2 evils, but still in this current political climate their spark could have triggered a power keg.

btw, i was very happy when i saw there were protests in london by muslims who were against the violent ones that were there the previous day, i was hoping that would make many understand that atleast in the modern society muslims dont condone the violence against the newspaper.

however the issue of the other middle eastern countries and indonesia is quite different. their news broad casters would obviously exaggerate this small cartoon to a declaration of war, so i wouldnt be quick to blame them since their media would have a big hand in fanning the flames of hatred

banco55

HSC
Simpson Freak said:
"There was no implication of Muhummad being a terrorist in any of the cartoons in the context they were originally published in, and since this was the only context they were ever supposed to be published in I can't see how you can say that they are depicting him as such."

well try to stop denying it, the one with the bomb turban is a clear terrorist label.

The Muslim community would have been pissed off even if the one with the bomb on his head weren't there."

anyway you still missed the point on purpose, how come there wasnt the same degree of anger when south park made him a power ranger.
As has already been stated the cartoons came out in september it was only after a touring group of danish imams went around the middle east stirring up shit that this all started. Incidentally some of those danish imams were non-citizens and they are going to be expelled to the third world hell holes that they came from by denmark.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
well on one of your previous posts you made it seem like every muslim supports the violent revenge attacks by the more radical types.

i agree with your condemnation of such people, but you make it seem like i agree,
I dunno what you're talking about.

but again you fail to acknowledge that the paper had a big part in this, even though they are the lesser of 2 evils, but still in this current political climate their spark could have triggered a power keg.
That's the people whom decide to react to its problem... not the newspapers.

btw, i was very happy when i saw there were protests in london by muslims who were against the violent ones that were there the previous day, i was hoping that would make many understand that atleast in the modern society muslims dont condone the violence against the newspaper.
No one (well close) thinks all muslims are violent in such a way... it's just that we're overwhelmed by the stories we constantly see/hear from these violent types with modest-by-comparison backlashes from other muslims...

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
"methods of the Danish media" What a loser...meaninglessly saying this..
"posing a question"...you can make anything seem like it's posing a quesion...hey look at those terroists in the videos...i think they are posing the question should they stop

"kill people and be terrorist" threatening to kill does not equal being a terroist

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
garbagedump said:
"posing a question"...you can make anything seem like it's posing a quesion...hey look at those terroists in the videos...i think they are posing the question should they stop

"kill people and be terrorist" threatening to kill does not equal being a terroist
Who are you responding to garbagedump?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
garbagedump said:

I've actually discussed the methods of the Danish media with 3 Danes since this controversy started, and they've all told me that it's very common for Danish cartoons to pose a question through a double meaning, thus leaving their message open to interpretation. The analogy you have made is shithouse, please don't try to enter reasoned debate again until you can actually form an argument.

Simpson Freak

HSC
banco55 said:
As has already been stated the cartoons came out in september it was only after a touring group of danish imams went around the middle east stirring up shit that this all started. Incidentally some of those danish imams were non-citizens and they are going to be expelled to the third world hell holes that they came from by denmark.
well the cartoons were republished and all, i think thats when it was protested, so why do u think it will help ur argument if u make fun of their countries.

most of the time they are hell holes now because of what europe did to arabia and all (eg ww1 and lawrence of arabia crap) . its like making fun of aborigines even though they have such low health and life expectancy because of previous treatment by whites

Simpson Freak

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You're comparing the situation with aboriginies in Australia and Arabians? :/ lolz!
this may surprise you but injustice is widespread in human history.

and why shudnt i compare, many didnt like the way aborigenes burned the australian flag on australia day, even though burning a flag is nothing compared to what the white man has done to them. and there were many callers on triple m's spoonman (i dont know if u listen to him) about them just being crybabies...

not i do agree that the protests in syria were far more violent, but then when posters on even something as inocuous as this thread say that they view islam with animosity, why would you be surprised to receive animosity (however illegal) in return.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
I think what garbagedump is trying to say very incoherently is that withoutaface's comments, "methods of the Danish media?" are nonsense. If you watched frontline, the media's intentions are all to arise anger and have one intention to increase ratings. By introducing something so controversial the danish newspaper has obviously increased its profits.
"was posing a question, not making a statement" I really doubt it was a question, rather a unjustifed statement.
"That's the people whom decide to react to its problem... not the newspapers." Actually it's the people who fuel the attacks, that are to blame. The Danish newspaper knew that it would fuel anger and violence, yet they disregarded this and continued to publish it. How can one support freedom for Denmark when it is them that really fuels this anger?>

Simpson Freak

HSC
on another topic

this forum is very exciting and fun, i love this whole argument thing, i feel really ready for Law at unsw..

well lets hope emoticons are admissible in the high court :)

banco55

HSC
Simpson Freak said:
well the cartoons were republished and all, i think thats when it was protested, so why do u think it will help ur argument if u make fun of their countries.

most of the time they are hell holes now because of what europe did to arabia and all (eg ww1 and lawrence of arabia crap) . its like making fun of aborigines even though they have such low health and life expectancy because of previous treatment by whites
Bullshit. Israel has no natural resources, has had to pay crippling defence costs over the years bus still has a gdp per capita on par with Europe. Not to mention those poor former colonies singapore and hong kong. How does decisions taken by the british 80 or more years ago stop the Arabs from prospering? Do the british drawn borders prevent the arabs from producing heaps of first class scientists like the Israelis do? Did the borders leave arabs unable to build TV's, cars etc. like the asians?

Last edited:

funnybunny

HSC
"'ve actually discussed the methods of the Danish media with 3 Danes since this controversy started, and they've all told me that it's very common for Danish cartoons to pose a question through a double meaning, thus leaving their message open to interpretation." You really are stupid aren't you. There are many things wrong with your method. You discussed the methods with 3 DANES , and obviously thier comments would be subjective and biased. Don't you realise that people have thier own opinons.

"reasoned debate again until you can actually form an argumen" Reasoned debate LOL....why don't you get objective quotes instead of bised ones to back up your arguments mate.

Simpson Freak

HSC
funnybunny said:
I think what garbagedump is trying to say very incoherently is that withoutaface's comments, "methods of the Danish media?" are nonsense. If you watched frontline, the media's intentions are all to arise anger and have one intention to increase ratings. By introducing something so controversial the danish newspaper has obviously increased its profits.
"was posing a question, not making a statement" I really doubt it was a question, rather a unjustifed statement.
"That's the people whom decide to react to its problem... not the newspapers." Actually it's the people who fuel the attacks, that are to blame. The Danish newspaper knew that it would fuel anger and violence, yet they disregarded this and continued to publish it. How can one support freedom for Denmark when it is them that really fuels this anger?>
better yet, why are some blaming muslims for getting angry, for many on the brink of radicalism, this can be seen as just another reason to become violent, and it has brought out all the radicals to commit violence and yet the newspaper is fighting for the freedom to insult people.

i dont think funnybunny would condone the actions of the violent protests that came afterwards but atleast he is not think the newspaper is the wholly angel in all this "fighting for our freedom" as some of you wags have dubbed them as doing

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
funnybunny said:
"'ve actually discussed the methods of the Danish media with 3 Danes since this controversy started, and they've all told me that it's very common for Danish cartoons to pose a question through a double meaning, thus leaving their message open to interpretation." You really are stupid aren't you. There are many things wrong with your method. You discussed the methods with 3
These people had no reason to lie to me, and it hardly needs to be a survey with 1000 different demographics. That's like saying if I asked 3 people on the street what the capital of Australia was then I'd be wrong to conclude that the answer is Canberra.

funnybunny

HSC
These people had no reason to lie to me, and it hardly needs to be a survey with 1000 different demographics. That's like saying if I asked 3 people on the street what the capital of Australia was then I'd be wrong to conclude that the answer is Canberra." I laugh at your stupid comment. Had no reason to lie to you? What about the fact that they are Danish and themselves support the Danish newspaper.
If you asked three people on the street about a common fact, obviously you will get the same response. This is a really stupid analogy, because Danish newspaper's actions are a controversial issue right now however the capital of Australia has not been controverisal for ages. Thus the response to the Danish newspaper question would be more subjective. Seriously, before questioning simpsonfreak's posts, you should question your own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)