• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Good will? I think generally human beings are empathetic to other human beings by our very nature - you don't think they are so enough to militarily assist a country they know they'll never gain anything from?
Oh my, I think your underestimating the treachery of human greed and the destructive properties of romance with power.

davin

HSC
N/A
if america wanted oil, they could've simply done what france and russia did, though

and Katrina created a fear more than anything else, really...it also hit refining ability hard, but unfortunitly because oil is commodity market, fear of prices going up can cause prices to go up as well.

davin

HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
who said he was going to do it now? do you think that he started plotting against saddam and osama after 9/11?
how is he going to do it later? he has 2 years, and there's no way he has the ability to do so politically in that time frame

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
davin said:
if america wanted oil, they could've simply done what france and russia did, though

and Katrina created a fear more than anything else, really...it also hit refining ability hard, but unfortunitly because oil is commodity market, fear of prices going up can cause prices to go up as well.
How did Katrina create fear you nutcase?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
You are a fucking idiot. Control of oil means controlling supply and demand which means fluctuations in volumes and prices.

Does anyone remember Bush saying he wanted to wean America off oil? If that's so then why go and take over Iraq for it's oil when he wants his country to no longer be dependent upon black gold. And if that happens, then this could spread to other Western countries and oil could drop sufficiently in value if people aren't as reliant upon it.
And if this happens then there goes the Middle East's bargaining chip in international trade and the whole boycotting Denmark is not going to be to successful if the nations doing the boycotting have an economic collapse anyway.

Off topic, I know.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i didnt say when he will do it. i said the attacks on afghanistan and iraq are the beginning of the american attempt to turn over every grain in the middle east.

enlightened one, i doubt the irrelevancy of that post, or the start of it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Does anyone remember Bush saying he wanted to wean America off oil? If that's so then why go and take over Iraq for it's oil when he wants his country to no longer be dependent upon black gold.
I think seeing his concern about oil dependancy just further highlights that oil control is definately one of the reasons the US went to war against Iraq - if he didn't care about the situation with oil then all things would be going rosey and you wouldn't hear him talking about weaning america off oil.

davin

HSC
N/A
i didnt say when he will do it. i said the attacks on afghanistan and iraq are the beginning of the american attempt to turn over every grain in the middle east.
and how would Bush do anything after 2008?

How did Katrina create fear you nutcase?
When people think that production or supply is going to be effected, the price goes up, even if supply wasn't effected. effect of commodity market because its one standardised price across the board

davin

HSC
N/A
if it was about oil america should've invaded canada. 9th largest exporter. Or Mexico. its greatest export is oil. Or venezueala, thats closer than iraq, and had an annoying dictator.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have to somewhat agree with davin in that the price increases due to katrina seemed to be artificial and not really a result of loss of US production (I could be wrong however).

if it was about oil america should've invaded canada. 9th largest exporter. Or Mexico. its greatest export is oil. Or venezueala, thats closer than iraq, and had an annoying dictator.
- Iraq has the 2nd largest known supplies in the world.
- Saddam was a guy that everyone hated already.
- It was an easier fight than against mexico, canada (wtf lol), or venezuela.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Weaning America off oil is going to happen overnight, is it? It's going to take years. That's why he invaded Iraq, to ensure future supplies of oil to his country.

or because he wanted revenge for the terrorist attacks against his country and he wanted to show that the US is no weak target. Bush wants to take away the main source of income for nations that harbour terrorists. You can twist whatever happens anyway you want. There is an old quote that may have some relevance:

"For evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." Perhaps Bush is sort of doing right the wrong way for the wrong reasons. But does that justify it?

EDIT: It's a Winston Churchill quote.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
or because he wanted revenge for the terrorist attacks against his country and he wanted to show that the US is no weak target.
Um yah well attacking Iraq didn't really prove that one too well... not only is the most advanced army being snapped by a bunch of geurillas the connection between iraq and 9/11 is dubious at best.

davin

HSC
N/A
canada was the 8th largest producer of oil in the world in 2004 (don't think 2005 stats are out yet) and is right next to the u.s.
and actually....
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0872964.html
is listing iran over iraq. and has some weird way for canada to be second using some other form of oil...though that could well be not cost efficient.

davin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Um yah well attacking Iraq didn't really prove that one too well... not only is the most advanced army being snapped by a bunch of geurillas the connection between iraq and 9/11 is dubious at best.
iraq isn't tied to 9/11, but it has had no problem supporting terrorism

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Well that's because he went about it the wrong way. It was handled wrong and has become a mess. But at least they could try and fix the mess, which is what they're doing.

I think there might be a greater connection than what we know of. Doesn't Bush need approval from Congress to go to war?

davin

HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
please tell me youre not another one who has submitted to TV.

he helped saddam get to his status in the first place
wrong Bush you're referring to.
my question stands though about how you expect George W Bush to pull this off in under 2 years and go into another country

Enlightened, he does need approval from Congress and he got it. And yeah, Bush.... good lord they handled this poorly. But I do believe that its bad planning and bad info at root here, not some underhanded plan.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well they fabricated the evidenced, it fooled me sufficiently... I mean I always acknowledged that one of the motives for the war was control of oil but I truely did believe Sadam had WMD's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)