Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
BUT i dont laugh at jokes that disrespect anything i believe in like my religon, and if a libral hindu cant accept jokes in poor taste on their religon then why should strict muslims? making jokes on aspects that muslims do find humerous is fine but i dont know one muslim that doesnt take their religon seriously...
If you can't accept jokes about your religion that's your problem - no one elses. Your religion is a belief and like any belief it can be criticised by others. I don't really care that you or any of these muslims take their religion 'seriously', I take my criticism of their religion seriously too.

edit: By the way, as davin pointed out.. they are not simply 'jokes'. Their purpose is to make a brash statement about a topic in a politically incorrect fashion in order to be attention-grabbing while also making a subtle point. For example, you can look at the picture of muhammed with a bomb as his turbin and say 'they're saying all muslims are terrorists!' or you can look at it and say (I imagine this is closer to the case) that it was pointing out how muhammed's teachings have been manipulated to suit the purpose of these terrorists.

the carttons that are printed in australia know where to draw the line, ive never seen one that is demeaning of any religon and if it is, it is of christanity, which is not only drawn by a christan but for a nation in which the majority of people are christan and for that can laugh at themselves..But in all honestly, what did the Danish paper think that would happen?
Actually there was very little reaction, as with most satirical comics which are placed within newspapers criticising others in an overt way - there were critics... However it did not recieve this crazy reception until some muslims whom were banned from denmark started to spread rumours about it etc...

at the same time i think the reaction by the arab nations is drastic and is only escalating the problem, the reaction by the public is because of the properganda by the media which is just stupid!!! MEDIA IS AT FAULT!!
In their case - the state is at fault... state-run/heavily controlled media.

your right, we should have the power of free speech, and in an ideal world we would but we dont live in the ideal world!!
I don't get this? Because we don't live in the 'ideal world' we should abandon notions of free speech? We've fought a long time for this and will continue to fight for it - this is not a negotiable thing in our society.

After all we live in Australia, an awsome country with awsome people from different backgrounds and different ideologies(and thats waht makes it AWSOME!) and we all live here in harmony.
The only reason that we have such a great country is due to the freedoms we have granted our citizens... The backlash from the middle east in response to these cartoons has been a direct attack against those freedoms. They argue against the society which has given them the right to argue against society :/

we dont choose our life, culture, religon or background so never take that into account when you do judge people.
Well... that might have a bit more clout when you're a child, or living in a fundamentalist country with strict controls on information.... However when you're living in Australia - and you're an adult - you do have real choice.

Dont go makeing generalisations "i hate muslims", because that is stupid! There is always a bad apple in every crate and yea, unfortuantely for the muslims they ended up withan espeacially bad bunch but thats not their fault! Every religon has their share of idiots!!(need i remind you of hitler?)
Yes - Every religion has their share of idiots (even those in power). By the way, what did we do to hitler when he came out against out society? :)

Im sure 99% of the muslims on BOS will agree the terrorist option is bloody idiotic and im sure they dont see the sense!
Probably, but the muslims on BOS are not the muslim consensus of the world.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
I dont understand how the flaw is dangerous, if the "flaw" had existed since islam was introduced.

the government is directly responsible for this, after their editors, journaleist represent their country, much like sportspeople. But as you say the government cannot really control that, but the editor has the control to do so. Ultimately its his decision whether to publish the cartoons, and under his judgement he should have realised that such a cartoon would have negative impact. Failure to do this, will as has happened, lead to his sacking, he has failed to do his job. His judgement was poor, and it cannot be excused because he is an editor, not a child.
the flaw is dangerous primarily because of globilisation. its a culture clash. The western world has a general view of allowing freedom of speech, to the point of criticising/insulting others, which, as we are seeing, doesn't go well with islamic countries.

also, explain to me how the government is responsible, when you also say that the gov't can't control it? criticise the editor, criticise the paper, but there's no reason that the gov't is actually responsible for this. and see, this is how things balance....he runs something thats offensive....he loses his job, others then don't run similar things in future because they'd rather not get fired. its how it normally goes, just that people are demanding censorship, its a free speech question rather than a question over good or bad taste.

YBK, wikipedia has the pics, but I don't have the link handy. also a ton of websites at this point.

tiya, the cartoons aren't jokes, they're effectivly visual editorials making a point, not trying to be funny. opinionated drawings. its more a criticism or closer inspection than punchlines

davin

HSC
N/A
not-that-bright said:
Yes - Every religion has their share of idiots (even those in power). By the way, what did we do to hitler when he came out against out society?
ooc, are you referring to getting Hitler out of power via WW2, or the mistakes of the appeasements before WW2 began?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm talking about getting hitler out of power via ww2, however the point about the mistakes of appeasing him, letting him get away with what he was doing is actually a great point that I didn't pick up on :eek:

zeek

HSC
Omfg Don't Start Another Fucking War In Lebanon... Piss Off!!!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
NO u fell into my trap, nice trying to cover up that "1,2,c" i highly doubt that intended "c" to mean conlcusion lol, if it wasnt for xayma, you would look really foolish, but u still do.
He didn't post that, I did. I merely abbreviated "conclusion" with a "c". It's not a big deal.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
if i were to write swear words and other obscene/offensive stuff in a newspaper article and the editor edits it out- is that in anyones opinion a breach of freedom of speech?
No because the editor is in charge of what goes on the newspaper... as long as the editor doesn't force that person to never use those swear words, or the newspaper its self is not stopped by some outside force I don't see how it's a 'breach of freedom of speech'. It's much like being at work... if your boss tells you to be nice to a customer, you can't just go and start swearing at them or talking about your anal warts or your feelings about jews or whatever... you're on his time.

Last edited:

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm Australian and I hate a lot of Australian media outlets, I'd imagine it'd be the same with the Danes.
oh yea..by danes..did u mean great danes..as in the species of dog?
cause it seems that that is one species u can logically argue with.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
funnybunny said:
oh yea..by danes..did u mean great danes..as in the species of dog?
cause it seems that that is one species u can logically argue with.
HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why haven't these trolls been banned yet?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Aust newspapers won't reprint cartoons offensive to Muslims

PM - Monday, 6 February , 2006 18:22:00
Reporter: Hamish Fitzsimmons

MARK COLVIN: "Show forgiveness, speak for justice and avoid the ignorant," says the Koran.

So what are we to make of the Muslims who marched through London at the weekend carrying banners that read: "Be prepared for the REAL Holocaust", "Europe, your 9/11 is on its way", "Massacre those who insult Islam", and memorably, "Freedom of expression, go to hell".

They were marching against cartoons, cartoons which first appeared in a Danish newspaper last October, but only now seem to be creating a forest fire of rage all over the Islamic world, including the burning of Danish embassies in the Middle East.

In Australia, newspaper editors have said today that they won't be reprinting the cartoons, which depict among other things the prophet Mohammed with a bomb shaped as a turban.

But cartoonists themselves are in two minds about their publication.

On one hand, they say the cartoons should be published in the name of free speech. On the other they shouldn't, because they're just not very good.

Hamish Fitzsimmons reports.

[continued - see link]
---

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5105493,00.jpg

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
On one hand, they say the cartoons should be published in the name of free speech. On the other they shouldn't, because they're just not very good.
I agree - The cartoons themselves aren't very witty or anything... I prefer the amateur ones.

dark_wolv

The Member
HSC
In islam its forbidden to portray mohammad in any form of media. So i guess the riots are the product of such behaviour. I know everyone has the right to express their own views, but at this current era with all the terrorism and the heat on islam the danish newspaper should have thought reponsibily for all the consequences resulting from takin such actions. However this does not give the right for muslims to march with all the banner labelling such statements.
in other words the world is screwed

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Does it mean we will have to sacrifice all of our rights slowly until adultery will be illegal? I'm thinking long term here, not by these people in the BBC sympathising just to make the Muslims feel more comfortable in their actions and make the secular world look like a piece of piss to destroy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
politik said:
Is there any reason why we have to publish them? Everyone is acting like we're supposed to publish them.
It's an issue regarding freedom of expression and the way in which this should be protected and/or highlighted (as you would know if you had bothered to take note of what had already been written within this thread and the linked articles).

Personally, I don't see a reason to publish these particular cartoons here in Australia, but I am more than in favour of pointing out that the freedom to publish shouldn't just be withdrawn because some may be offended or be of a mind that the particular item is in poor taste. In saying this, I am well aware of the fact that there is a need to tread carefully when one considers culturally sensitive issues and that the freedom to publish is and should always be accompanied by the freedom to criticise. However, there's a need to both recognise and accept that though one should tread carefully, that isn't to say that one should always hold back whenever there's a chance of someone, somewhere being offended, because if we all acted in such a way, it's quite obvious that we would all be mute. As for the freedom to criticise, I think that there's no need to point out that this freedom doesn't provide room for one to threaten and/or inflict violence (but as you can see, I just did, anyway).

As a general aside, I consider the idea that the Islamic prophet should be free of graphic depictions (be it favourable or not), humour, constructive criticism and ridicule to be somewhat outdated, impractical and unreasonable, particularly in a society such as our own.

Edit: Third time lucky... I hate the way in which the system automatically logs the member out after a period of inactivity - yes, I do recognise the importance of such a measure, but it's bloody annoying when one is sitting at home and at no risk of accidentally granting another person access to the account in question.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Never mind the fact that if they weren't blowing themselves in the name of Islam there would be no cartoon to start with. Muslims have no respect for other religions so why should everyone else respect theirs. They do things to christians that are way beyond drawings in a newspaper.

They are going to have to learn to cop some shit about their religion sooner or later. It happens with everyone else why do they think they are somehow immune.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

SashatheMan said:
so yuo are against the caricatures of politicians in morning newspapers?

or dilbert comic strips that depict bosses as stupid and simple minded?

or simpsons who make fun of everyone?
fuck oath he has a point there

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm talking about getting hitler out of power via ww2, however the point about the mistakes of appeasing him, letting him get away with what he was doing is actually a great point that I didn't pick up on :eek:
hitler had the right idea but the wrong religion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)