Multimedia Peoples! (1 Viewer)

MichaelRoberts

HSC
Hello,
If there are any of you out there actually doing multimedia, it would be much appreciated if you could speak up. Am I the only one out there actually doing multimedia??! I am feeling quite alone as helpful as my teachers are, they are very limited in what they can help me with. I have a real passion for multimedia, and I think I need abit of a kick start to get me going, but then hopefully I'll be fine.

May I just say that I've heard a few things said about multimedia. I heard two girls talking at the E2 day at this Cranebrook school "Shane is actually thinking of doing multimedia"
"Oh my god, as if you actually would"

I know some people say that multimedia is a waste of time, and somehow isnt truely English, and markers dont appreciate it. I think this is a load of crap. I think the teachers who mark multimedia would need to have a passion to look at it, and consider it. The fact that BOS offers it as an option shows it's worth doing, or at least thinking about it. Multimedia works have just as much chance of getting 50/50 and the whole reason I am doing multimedia is I really want to challenge the literary boundaries that have been set. Seriously, how much do you read on the internet, and in other text types rather than books. I can see how teachers do not appreciate gr8 txt msg LANgag, but Multimedia is very real in our day and age.

Rant over :)

Mike
If you're doing multimedia, I'd love to talk so email me at robbborulz@msn.com

pungemo

HSC
I'm not doing multimedia but I know what you're talking about in terms of pushing the boundaries. I'm doing a machinima video myself. That said, there are a few issues you'll need to look out for. The Board of Studies does indeed (obviously) offer Multimedia as an option, but do keep in mind all their work is not brilliant. Multimedia does not put you at a huge disadvantage, you just have to keep in mind a few things.

The marker's must be taken into consideration. The average marker is a 40-something year old woman (massive generalisation). 40 year old women, and men, generally aren't very good with technology by comparison to our generation. So just make sure you don't throw them into the deep end by creating a complicated navigation system through your website/game/etc. Try to make all functions as intuitive as possible. This will ensure that they know what's happening and it is also good design practice. I'm sure you already know this if you're considering Multimedia, but its worth saying.

The reason people stay away from Multimedia has alot to do with the criteria, which are, quite frankly, a load of rubbish. There are very few guidelines in place to help you get good marks.

Then again, it all depends on what sort of Multimedia you do. Websites can score quite well now. Zeeshan, from my school, scored extremely well for his website on Writing in a Postmodern Paradigm. The school even bought it off him as a resource. If you would like to see an example it can be found at:
http://www.normanhurb-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/curriculum/faculties/eng/Postmod/home.htm

HSC
pungemo said:
I think he got 39, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll ask my teacher next time I see her.
Only 39? I thought it was a bit more than that but if it wasnt then it should've been cos its a very good website. Maybe his school assessments brought him down.

MichaelRoberts

HSC
I think 49 sounds more right, that's a very good mark for a very good site. It's given me some confidence in what I'm doing!

Thanks, pungemo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)