Multiple Choice Answers (1 Viewer)

SnowTau

HSC
After a discussion with my teacher afterwards, I believe these are the correct answers, feel free to correct me.

(I don't know about you but I was able to take my multiple choice booklet, so you can check them)

1. D
2. A or B (Unsure of this one)
3. C
4. D
5. C
6. A
7. A
8. B
9. B
10. C

Last edited:

ben_carroll93

HSC
I got a for the first one because i figured the smaller cylinder would more further if the big cylinder moved a little bit

SnowTau

HSC
I got a for the first one because i figured the smaller cylinder would more further if the big cylinder moved a little bit
Yes, that's correct, however it says you are moving cylinder Y (the bigger one) 1mm, X HAS to move more than 1mm, using what you just said...
And to do it correctly you have to find the area of each cylinder

pi cancels, so,
360^2/120^2 = 9.
So for each mm the bigger one moves, the little one moves 9, hence D.

ben_carroll93

HSC
what was the answer then?
Yes, that's correct, however it says you are moving cylinder Y (the bigger one) 1mm, X HAS to move more than 1mm, using what you just said...
And to do it correctly you have to find the area of each cylinder

pi cancels, so,
360^2/120^2 = 9.
So for each mm the bigger one moves, the little one moves 9, hence D.

ben_carroll93

HSC
i'm fair sure the answer to 2 was 'a'. Its a form of inter granular corrosion between the constituents of brass which is zinc (anode) and the copper (cathode) when placed in an electrolyte the two form a galvanic cell and it starts to corrode. You don't need an electrolyte for stress cracking corrosion or whatever it was.

SnowTau

HSC
I'd never heard of stress corrosion cracking so went with a :(

The multiple choice was pretty easy actually... in the trial almost no one got over 50% for the multiple choice at my school.

ben_carroll93

HSC
yeh haha. I hate it when they buck in random one's like the as1100 one with the tolerance. I had a guess

SnowTau

HSC
yeh haha. I hate it when they buck in random one's like the as1100 one with the tolerance. I had a guess
My teacher never taught us that or mentioned the whole tolerance thing, but he said c was right almost immediately, he was pretty sure, so I think I got lucky with my pick haha.

xblacksheepx

HSC
its b, not a, the brass was cold rolled, and that will cause the corrosion, not the salt water.

ben_carroll93

HSC
feck haha. Had a 50% chance haha. That stuff's not even in the textbook. Thats what really shits me with this subject

xblacksheepx

HSC
the salt water does make it corrode faster, but the answer couldn't be an electrolytic reaction, for the minority that actually knew what stress corrosion cracking was (not me), salt water just makes it much easier for this to happen.

tie-coon

HSC
Q10 got me. Man I hate true lengths. can never figure them out, I put A as a guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)