Multiple choice Help please (1 Viewer)

ta26

HSC
N/A
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 10.24.29 pm.png Could someone please explain why the answer is B and not C
Thank you :)

swagmeister

HSC
View attachment 32469 Could someone please explain why the answer is B and not C
Thank you :)
Had a more detailed look which pretty much reaffirmed my initial quick thoughts.

Year 2: ToT = 1.02 : 1
Year 3: ToT = 1.01 : 1

So the terms of trade have worsened, meaning it takes more exports to finance a given amount of exports. This eliminates D.

Now generally, although there is the J-curve effect in the short term, we look it at that because the terms of trade have worsened imports are relatively more expensive and thus the volume of them will decrease. That eliminates B.

And in terms of the overall shifts I definitely feel like C is the correct answer, although there is a case for A as well.

If this is a HSC question here is a nifty little trick - there can't be 2 correct answers, so because of that I guess they want us to infer they are speaking about the short term and because of that that is why in an exam situation you would choose B as the correct answer.

Still curious though... Is it a HSC question? Seems to ring a bell for me

Ekman

HSC
In my opinion, both B and C seem correct to me. A deterioration in the terms of trade means that more imports can be purchased for the same amount of exports, or less exports are purchased for the same amount of imports. So by going off this, you could say that there would be increased volume of imports but at the same time, there is decreased purchasing power of exports. Under exam conditions I would go with B because I feel like that is the better answer as terms of trade may indicate prices, but changes in terms of trade influence spending patterns and hence influence volumes, so B

swagmeister

HSC
In my opinion, both B and C seem correct to me. A deterioration in the terms of trade means that more imports can be purchased for the same amount of exports, or less exports are purchased for the same amount of imports. So by going off this, you could say that there would be increased volume of imports but at the same time, there is decreased purchasing power of exports. Under exam conditions I would go with B because I feel like that is the better answer as terms of trade may indicate prices, but changes in terms of trade influence spending patterns and hence influence volumes, so B
Wow! Either I've forgotten my knowledge of economics or you've said it the wrong way around haha

Deterioration in terms of trade means that our export prices have decreased relative to our import prices, and this means that LESS imports can be purchased for the same amount of exports because either 1) export prices have decreased so we have less money to purchase the imports with or 2) import prices have increased meaning we can buy less of them with the same amount of exports

correct me if I'm wrong someone

Ekman

HSC
Wow! Either I've forgotten my knowledge of economics or you've said it the wrong way around haha

Deterioration in terms of trade means that our export prices have decreased relative to our import prices, and this means that LESS imports can be purchased for the same amount of exports because either 1) export prices have decreased so we have less money to purchase the imports with or 2) import prices have increased meaning we can buy less of them with the same amount of exports

correct me if I'm wrong someone
Whoops, I keep on getting confused by them

HSC
No worries!

I was worried for a minute haha
Does this mean that B is wrong?

The ToT decreases stems from a higher proportional increase in import prices compared to the export price. Therefore, if there was an increase in import prices, there would be a deterioration in BOGS in the short turn leading to deterioration in CA. However, how would the demand for imports have risen in the short term, instead, shouldn't it have decreased, especially over the long term. Unless... we are talking about a long term trend of rising imports stemming from increased revenue within export, due to growing export price index, allowing for more revenue, real wages and consumption of imported goods. But that seems kinda like grasping at straws a little, so is there something else that's influencing short term import demands?

ta26

HSC
N/A
Its from our half yearly so not sure where the teacher got it from.
I thought it was C cause B is looking at volume and TOT revolve around price

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)