Multiple Choice Help! (1 Viewer)

imd94

HSC
Hi fellow physicists, anyone want to help me out with multiple choice technique? I know most people consider it to be the easiest part of the exam but for some reason it's the one I fall down on. 79/100 for my trial and 11, yes ELEVEN of those marks were lost on multiple choice. So that'd make 90/100 if I could actually do multiple choice. And I manage to get only 10/20 or thereabouts on the Board of Studies practise ones. How the hell can I improve this?

michaeljennings

HSC
Hi fellow physicists, anyone want to help me out with multiple choice technique? I know most people consider it to be the easiest part of the exam but for some reason it's the one I fall down on. 79/100 for my trial and 11, yes ELEVEN of those marks were lost on multiple choice. So that'd make 90/100 if I could actually do multiple choice. And I manage to get only 10/20 or thereabouts on the Board of Studies practise ones. How the hell can I improve this?
If you got 79/100 with 11 wrong in multiple choice that must mean you know your content really well so I dont see how you could be losing marks in multiple choice. Are they silly errors? Just try taking it slower I guess and instead of looking for the correct answer straight away, start by eliminating all the answers that are wrong

Aindan

HSC
well there's three type of mistakes in multiple choice:
Option A - You just don't know the content. To fix, you need to revise over your notes more.
Option B - You get confused by the wording and as a result don't know what the question is asking. To fix, you have had not enough exposure to questions.
Option C - You just didn't read the question, but you know the content and you didn't get confused by what the requirements of the question were. To fix, just concentrate and read properly!

RANK 1

HSC
if u know ur stuff, dont be a sped and take the shit slowly. if not, process of elimination

taeyang

HSC
Usually in MC there are 2 answers that are stupidly wrong, and like MJ said you obviously know your stuff, so you can most likely figure it out based on the last 2 seemingly right answers.

imd94

HSC
so you can most likely figure it out based on the last 2 seemingly right answers.
that's the issue; I tend to get mixed up with the one that seems right but isn't. And also, like you said, I think I know my content pretty well but in short answers, it's easy to identify the syllabus dot point they're testing (because the questions are basically a dot point re-worded) but in MC it's a more practical application of the dot points which I guess I suck at.

timinator1993

HSC
Same here imd94, The thing to do is look at the answer, and see if it ANSWERS the question. Sometimes there will be two answers that are both right, but one applies more specifically to the question.

zhiying

HSC
Highlight key words, go through ABCD and cross out those that are obviously wrong, then choose the most correct one out of anything left.

imd94

HSC
legends. thanks for the help. tomorrow will be endless hours of multiple choice practise for me :/ I'm hoping there's no nasty surprises like most of the other exams so far, I need a band 6 because this subject will have to count (due to the crappy scaling of D&T)

Bobbo1

HSC
Here's my take on your scenario (this has been happening me for a while in a different subject) - your teacher is probably comprising the questions for short answer themselves but for m/c, they are very time consuming and hard to make up so they probably get it from another source such as cssa, independent or maybe even past hsc...This causes a rather large discrepancy between m/c questions which are strictly one answer only but whereas in short answers your teacher might be an easy marker or sets easy questions where you can pick up marks easily, therefore causing this large gap

imd94

HSC
Interesting theory bobbo but we did the independent trial so I'm sure my teacher had marking guidelines to go off when he marked the short answers. Even the multiple choice he got confused with some of the answers when we went through it so maybe they were just trickier ones. Or at least that's what I'm hoping! Haha. But thanks for the suggestions everyone, best of luck to you all tomorrow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)