Multiple Choice in Maths HSC?? (1 Viewer)

McDevious

HSC
N/A
So, apparently there is now going to be multiple choice in maths exams.... I personally think this is ridiculous, anyone else heard about this and think it is just a tad shit???

Xoxo

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Seems like a cost cutting measure. Much cheaper to mark through than computers with m/c than with humans.

Also since it is the first question, it won't make much of a difference

McDevious

HSC
N/A
I think that it must be noted, that for questions that could be worth 4 marks, you only get one mark and have no chance to get working marks if you make a slight error.... Kinda presents a bit of a problem, I've seen some example questions and they aren't too bad, but it still sucks..... I make a lot of simple errors haha :/

powlmao

Banned
HSC
^ Your wrong

The M/C won't have 4 mark value questions.

If you read the syllabus changes properly, it will be the first question and if you have seen past papers, the first questions are always ones you can do in your head.

At max you would get a 2 mark question.

Plus, whats the deal? It disadvantages everyone (if you can't get working marks)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
I think it's stupid...doesn't test the true ability of a kid. you can just guess and get it correct

McDevious

HSC
N/A
Well no, you've just admitted that it tests questions worth more than one mark, thus making it an ineffective method of testing, it does't test a students ability to properly problem solve as they cannot gain partial marks for the working they have done correctly. And no, they aren't all questions that you can do in your head, *you're wrong.

Xoxo

powlmao

Banned
HSC
No shit it is ineffective. I have state it is for cost cutting. Obviously the BOS is too cheap.

Similarly, yes it will be 1-2 mark questions.

However, since you already see the answer it makes it alot easier.

Just stop bitching about how stupid the BOS is. No shit it doesn't test the students properly but it isn't going to change

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Yes they are all questions you can do in your head (assuming they are similar to ones in the question one part).

McDevious

HSC
N/A
Because it doesn't allow for students to properly utilise their working, if they have all the correct working but write an answer incorrect to a dp or sig. fig. etc they lose all potential for full marks.

"Stop whingeing"??? I'm merely expressing an opinion and asking for opinions.

And for the last time, they aren't, I have witnessed this, do you really think that they would put questions that you could answer in your head for 10 HSC questions??? This is the HSC, not school certificate... and what about 3&4 unit subjects, as if they are going to be questions that you can do in your head.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Because it doesn't allow for students to properly utilise their working, if they have all the correct working but write an answer incorrect to a dp or sig. fig. etc they lose all potential for full marks.

"Stop whingeing"??? I'm merely expressing an opinion and asking for opinions.

And for the last time, they aren't, I have witnessed this, do you really think that they would put questions that you could answer in your head for 10 HSC questions??? This is the HSC, not school certificate... and what about 3&4 unit subjects, as if they are going to be questions that you can do in your head.
Then it requires students to be more careful, some of them can be pretty tricky, our school has already given us our hye which was in the new exam format, and I dont know why your school hasnt. The exam is now feels shorter, and fortunately/unfortunately. Considering now there is a possibility of more "hard" questions.

It is also a good way to help the very bottom of the bottom, and is a way to deter arrogant people, who think they can breeze through multiple choice, only to be stopped by tiny tricks.

Im guessing alot of algebra, number theory and series will be in this part (maybe even loan repayment, annuities etc.) or they may leave those for later, but if I were the examiner, I would want to save question space for maxima and minima, graphing and of course phys. applications.

McDevious

HSC
N/A
Then it requires students to be more careful, some of them can be pretty tricky, our school has already given us our hye which was in the new exam format, and I dont know why your school hasnt. The exam is now feels shorter, and fortunately/unfortunately. Considering now there is a possibility of more "hard" questions.

It is also a good way to help the very bottom of the bottom, and is a way to deter arrogant people, who think they can breeze through multiple choice, only to be stopped by tiny tricks.

Im guessing alot of algebra, number theory and series will be in this part (maybe even loan repayment, annuities etc.) or they may leave those for later, but if I were the examiner, I would want to save question space for maxima and minima, graphing and of course phys. applications.

I cannot actually thank you enough for giving me a proper thoughtful opinion. Haha, my school is rural and slow I suppose (which is why we get bonus points??), we went through some of the multiple choice today, I personally don't like it as I like to rely on partial marks from working as I commonly make small errors.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I cannot actually thank you enough for giving me a proper thoughtful opinion. Haha, my school is rural and slow I suppose (which is why we get bonus points??), we went through some of the multiple choice today, I personally don't like it as I like to rely on partial marks from working as I commonly make small errors.
Maybe you should be doing general maths.

nifkeh

HSC
It's a matter of knowing what you are doing (how to answer the question properly) and being careful. It's quite of an insult to say 'you should be doing general maths' to someone, let alone anyone who makes a careless mistake ortwo or three in the first paper when they know how to do the steps.

But anyho, I heard from my maths teacher too that BoS is going to implement multiple choice for Q1 in the HSC papers :) As if cutting off the SC tests didn't save enough cash for them to still continue with their previous methods for the maths papers

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Well no, you've just admitted that it tests questions worth more than one mark, thus making it an ineffective method of testing, it does't test a students ability to properly problem solve as they cannot gain partial marks for the working they have done correctly. And no, they aren't all questions that you can do in your head, *you're wrong.

Xoxo
I beg to differ.

enoilgam

HSC
Multiple choice for question one of the exam really isnt going to do much to the difficult of this question. To be honest, I reckon it might make q1 slightly more difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)