Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
Hey All,

I've been doing well at school but I've found that where I'm losing all my marks is the multiple choice section of the exams. I HATE MULTIPLE CHOICE. I thought we weren't going to have to do it after SC, but have found out that there are MC sections in several HSC exams.

Thus, I ask you, how do I improve? I literally sit there and can't decide between a) and b) because I know each case is equally easy to argue. So I dont know! I am going to try and practice multiple choice for each subject a couple of times a week as part of study.. but any other pointers?

Thanks muchly:)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Well in multiple choices questions where you're given a.b.c.d- its almost certain that one of them is a dead set no, one of them is also no if you even half-think, and its really tossing up between the remaining two answers.

I know it can be agonising choosing between the two, but my best advice is, go for the one you have a gut feeling for, and if you have second thoughts, don't change the answer unless you're completely sure- cos I read once where your first answer is likely to be the correct one rather than going back.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Dont Change The Answer You First Selected, Unless You Are Sure Its 90-100% Wrong

Evergreen

HSC
I reckon you should know all your stuff. I only do shit in MC when i dont really know the answer... maybe i suck at making educated guesses. But if you know YOur stuff then there is no way you can do shit. because for example if they ask you a question then you can immediately know the right answer but if you dont know you have to think which 1 is the correct 1 and gets pretty confusing.

sleepplease

HSC
Thankyou SO much WithoutWings!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 !!!

EVergreen, I ALWAYS know my stuff. This is what irks me. I study hard, I know my work backwards, but when I get to multiple choice I can usually argue two responses... and I know which one I think's better but sometime's it's not the examiner's choice. And even if I write a little explanation and show I understand they can't give me the mark if it's hte wrong one :(

But WW... will def. be trying those tips!!

cs01001

HSC
Same advice as z600! If in doubt, always pick 'C'!

cccclaire

HSC
Here are my tips

if there are other parts of the test, do them first, always save MC till last because if you run out of time you can just quickly fill in C for the remaining questions =]

Also, go with your first reaction, because more often then not its right. Only change your answer if you're certain.

look for key words that your teacher has used in class.

cl3nta

HSC
above tips are excellent esp/Without Wings. :) one thing to add. just go through all the multi choice ones you know without much hesitation. Do the whole test and come back to the ones you weren't sure about. Also, when tossing up between two possibilities, see what each would do to the pattern of your answers. You can determine very quickly if there are patterns (including a random pattern) and that can always help you get closer to the one which is the "most correct" as teachers put it:p hope that helps.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
chocolate_lover said:
Also, if in doubt, pick "C". :uhhuh:
So glad I'm not the only one who sticks with that mantra. Personally, I rarely ever pick "D" unless it's plain obvious.

HSC
multi choice can be real tough. to be honest, multiple choice in some cases can really catch out who really knows their stuff and who doesn't. you're either right or youre wrong, theres no partial credit here. so if youre struggling in multi choice chances are you dont have any more than a vague understanding of the material, either that or youre careless?

its important to read the question carefully. like in science they will give you a question where you have to plug numbers into the formula, but sometimes theres a catch to the number plugged in and its not exactly obvious what to do. so thats why its important to read the question extract data and all that, then work out an answer.

sleepplease

HSC
Since you guys keep coming back to the "not knowing your work" senario, I'll give you an example where I got a q wrong.

Q: What do totems represent?

a)
b)objects which can connect Aboriginal people to their spiritual ancestors
c)their spiritual ancestors and the duties they have given to the Aboriginal people
d)

b) was the correct answer

But, I'm going... how can totems REPRESENT "objects which can.." when that is what they ARE. THEY ARE THOSE OBJECTS.

So surely it REPRESENTS the ancestors.

So it IS b but REPRESENTS c

... I explained all that and got looked at blankly. Eventually appealed to the head teacher who said she understood waht I was saying... (gave me the mark :p) but couldnt explain WHY b was better than c!!

it irkkkks me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)