Multiple choice (1 Viewer)

C-BAS

HSC
After going through it briefly with my teacher I know I got the first one wrong. I put A grrrrrrr

But the rest I think I got. So probably 14/15 for me.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hey guys,
I got:
1 C (A makes different combination of Alleles)
2 B (Anthrax)
3 B (Simple)
4 C (The word quarantine)
5 C (Text book answer)
6 C (Simple)
7 A (100 - (30x2) /2 )
8 B (Must be Bb allele's for a girl to be bb allele)
9 B (C means Carbon dioxide dissolves to make carbonic acid, BAD)
10 A (Simple, 2nd dot point)
11 D (B means that stomates closed at midnight, whats the need?)
12 C (Simple)
13 B (T-Cells will try to fight the foreign antigen???)
14 D (Best answer and signifies rapid change)
15 D (B is too much of an assumption and D seems the "best" answer)\

What do you guys think?

I think 4 is A because that involves both isolating the diseased animals (so they don't infect the others) and then vaccinating the others which would be the best way to prevent the spread I thought.

And for 9 CO2 only binds weakly when it forms carbaminohaemoglobin (if it binded strongly more would be carried in this form) but like 8% can be transported as dissolved CO2, so C?

Discuss.

cheechthecheech

HSC
Hey guys,
I got:
2 B (Anthrax)
3 B (Simple)
5 C (Text book answer)
6 C (Simple)
7 A (100 - (30x2) /2 )
12 C (Simple)
15 D (B is too much of an assumption and D seems the "best" answer)
What do you guys think?
i agree cept for 4, which i think is A. C just repeats the question as the sick animals are already in a diff enclosure.

Last edited:

ami8000

HSC
Answer is C. CO2 stays as HCO3- ions in the blood.
And for 9 CO2 only binds weakly when it forms carbaminohaemoglobin (if it binded strongly more would be carried in this form) but like 8% can be transported as dissolved CO2, so C?
1st thing that came through my mind when i saw the question was dont both CO
2 and O2 bind weakly to the Haemoglobin.
&
Doesn't the word dissolve have connotations of becoming hydrated by the water in the plasma, so it'll form Carbonic acid. as CO
2 + H20 --> H2CO3. Wouldn't HCO3- ions would mean that it ionises? It's a pity we must wait SOOO long for the answers!

andrewt_ss

HSC

1st thing that came through my mind when i saw the question was dont both CO
2 and O2 bind weakly to the Haemoglobin.
&
Doesn't the word dissolve have connotations of becoming hydrated by the water in the plasma, so it'll form Carbonic acid.
Wouldn't HCO3- ions would mean that it ionises?
CO2 does mix with haemoglobin to make carboxyhaemoglobin..... or something like that. It binds like 28%, but it does not "stongly bind" as the B answer says. CO2 and water make carbonic acid, but most CO2 in the blood is kept as HCO3- ions so it can act as a buffer to keep the pH of blood around 7. In the nephron you're body actively reabsorbs carbonate ions just for that purpose.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
I got
1. C (mutations generate new alleles, whilst crossing over results in new allele combination. completely different).
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C (not sure about this, could be B, discuss)
10. A
11. D
12. C
13. B
14. D
15. D

If you got these answers, then your guaranteed 15/15
um u sat for bio too?

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Hey guys,
I got:
2 B (Anthrax)
3 B (Simple)
5 C (Text book answer)
6 C (Simple)
7 A (100 - (30x2) /2 )
12 C (Simple)
15 D (B is too much of an assumption and D seems the "best" answer)\

What do you guys think?
14 isn't punctuated equilibrium. Rapid periods of evolution in Punctuated equilibrium refers to THOUSANDS OF YEARS, not just two or so generations. Sorry pal

lolrofllol

HSC
Gotta be D, stomata would close in the hottest time of the day, because it's a plant in a dry environment??
zzz

D shows stomates less than half open during the WHOLE day. Plants can't photosynthesise with stomates half open. B shows them open during half the night (For respiration) and in early morning and dawn (to avoid midday heat but gain sunlight for photosynthesis).
meh whatever

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
14 isn't punctuated equilibrium. Rapid periods of evolution in Punctuated equilibrium refers to THOUSANDS OF YEARS, not just two or so generations. Sorry pal
I agree 100% ive been trying to argue this to my teacher

HSC
Hey guys,
I got:

i agree with answer C for 4. In a question about the quarantine dot point, they're not looking for an answer that involves vaccination, that was to throw people off. They were asking you to provide a solution to the problem of a disease spreading to another enclosure. If they had a vaccine already, there is no need to stop the disease spreading.

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
so your saying its divergent evolution involving gradualism, which takes longer than thousands of years. D is the best answer.
BUT the generations are given on the side, and the term "rapid" used when describing punctuated equilibrium refers to 10 000 years. The whole question only deals with 12 generations which deals with 1200 years at best. All im saying is that based on this evidence alone, it cant be D.

arjungamer123

HSC
I think 4 is A because that involves both isolating the diseased animals (so they don't infect the others) and then vaccinating the others which would be the best way to prevent the spread I thought.

Discuss.
This is what I thought. This was a real case of "best" answer. A mixed b and C together, so it was the best choice.

HSC
what if it's some hardcore rabbit that doesn't mature sexually until its a 1000 years old.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw question 14, the faces :p

ST!CKMAN

HSC
just adding my 2cents worth

Question 4 = C (could be A but i'm more inclined with C intense internal debate during the exam lol)
Which procedure would best prevent emphasise on prevent the spread of disease to animals in other enclosures on the farm.
Quarintine is one or vaccination is another. Do they vaccinate animals =\ ? and also vaccinations only work against bacteria. what if the disease had been caused by a protozoan or fungi or a virus ?

Question 14 is D not Divergent! or B

The diagram does not show the conditions or changes in conditions in environment, i agree that there is only a change in over 12 generations
but punctuate equilibrium is "rapid changes" which can mean over thousands of years or by interpretation in this question since only 12 generations are being modeled, over the 12 generations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)