Music 1/2 Help for Next Year (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
Hi,

I'm finishing up 7th grade Piano/3rd grade Musicianship and can roughly play the guitar, sax but most of all love to sing. I'm in Year 10 at the moment and am in elective music class and have been asked to fill in subject selections. I'm definitely going to do a music subject next year but my teacher has recommended our whole class to do Music 1 (even a girl doing her Lmus) He has recommended all music classes in my school to do Music 1 since his duration in the school.

All my fellow classmates have been persuaded by this but I think differently. I know im only going to start 8th grade soon but I thoroughly enjoy music and do not actually mind the theory part about it. I like writing songs too and even though I'm an amateur and probably wouldn't pursue music in university its definitely a passion of mine since I was a toddler. I love being expressive whilst playing the piano and singing music from the heart so I'm unsure if I should just go with the easier option or go for my something more challenging in Music 2.

Can anyone please help me with this because I've heard many things like how Music 1 students are mostly those who are more doing it as a leisure subject and how Music 2 is thoroughly hard and even though it is scaled up it is extremely difficult to get a good mark. I'm definitely willing to give in the effort for music but have kind of been discouraged by my teacher who has always recommended everyone in the school to do Music 1 and thus making me ponder if I am good enough for Music 2.

I understand Music 2 is more of the periods as in Classical, Jazz and is a lot more theory based whereas Music 1 can be for those who don't know how to read music and can choose a mainstream kind of song. I can read music and enjoy/appreciate all types of music, so i'm extremely confused at the moment. The question I really want to know is in Music 2 does grades really count or is the amount of studying and workload you put into the theory work is what really matters?

Thanks alot, frontin.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
No offense meant, but your teacher sounds like a lazy ass.
Anyone that is thinking of studying music at university should be considering music 2, as should anyone who wants a bit more of a challenge.
Music 2 is harder, but it isn't that difficult to get a good mark; You just have to put in the right amount of work.

Unfortunately for you though, by the sounds of it you'd be the only one to pick music 2 as a subject. But I think you should definately try and convince some of your classmates to change their minds.
Noone should be forced (and it looks like that is pretty much what's happening here) to do a subject that is below their abilities.
It's kind of like saying "Oh, no. You should all be doing general maths"

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Definitely go for Music 2. In my school at least, dropping down to Music 1 is permitted, but moving up to Music 2 is not, much in the same way you can always drop a unit of Maths, but may not always be able to pick one up.

If you think it's hard to receive a good mark in Music 2, then you'll condemn yourself by choosing Music 1.

7th grade piano and 3rd grade musicianship aren't low. There's a person who is still studying 3rd grade AMEB in my class, and although I'm not at such a high levle myself, I still managed to top the class, defeating 4 AMus level musicians.

Last edited:

strung

HSC
definitely do music 2... dont even consider doing music 1 - it scales horribly and even if you topped it without any effort you would be extremely bored.

in some cases, particularly with music, it is better to be the only one in your class. depending on what the music teachers are like at your school and how big your school is... at my school there are 3 music teachers, one is currently on maternity leave and the only decent teacher, the guy teaching music 1 at the moment is a stoner, and the teacher of music 2 is a stupid cow who doesnt actually know anything about music - even though she is the head of department - one of life's many unsolved mysteries....

you could consider doing music 2 by correspondence as well - you can work when you want and you dont have to sit there all the time with a moronic teacher who looks up EVERY SINGLE ANSWER IN THE BACK OF THE BOOK!!! AARGGHHH!

if youre doing 8th grade and theory you would not have any problems... its not that hard to get a good mark in music 2 - the syllabus just basically extends what you've learnt in 7-10 rather than covering anything new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)