• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What's the difference between Music 1 and music 2??
and why is the scaling so different?:confused:

tash

lalalala
HSC
well music 2 is a lot harder i suppose. i'm not exactly sure what they do but it's got more than just aural and electives. but i think that aural in music 1 is still rather hard. i dunno... i'd have to try music 2 to see the difference

guy

HSC
i think music two has actual musicology... like the 5 staves scales clefs sharps all that jizz, and in music one you don't even have to mention that stuff at all in aural. although you can

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Can you do Music 1 and 2 at the same time?

guy

HSC
oh well mabye you can do music1 and ext?! that wouldn't make sense but there is a kid in my class doing TWO

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
the scaling is 'so' different because of the popularity of each course and also the relative difficulty:

music 2ers have to write more essays. :p

chip

HSC
hey i did music all the time and i dont think i was allowed to music 2 - maybe i was cant remember

Juliet

HSC
Music 2 is for students who have been doing music for years, in that way i mean grades. Music 2 is full of musicology, real musicology. I'm talking keys, chords, 7th's, 5th's, tones, semi-tones... They have to write essays, learn about different time periods, in their listening tasks they get the sheet music.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by tash
music 1 is there for people who didn't do music in yr 10 so you can't do music 2 if you didn't do music before yr11
not necessarily.... i did music in year7, 9, 10 and 11... and i'm doing music1.

they don't offer music2 at my school, but evne if they did i probably wouldn't have done it coz i HATE aural lol, i suck at it...

chopsticks0209

HSC
tash said:
nup can't do that either. music 1 is there for people who didn't do music in yr 10 so you can't do music 2 if you didn't do music before yr11
actually, we're all doing music 2 and i only joined in year 11, i didn't do any music apart from the ones in year 7 and stuff.

probably because my teacher is the worst tightarse in history.

becibu

HSC
Ok, heres what I think. I have talked to music teachers in my school about the two and private teachers aswell. They are very different courses ... music 2 is very full on. I am doing music 1 because music 2 is not offered in my school, I was thinking of a correspondance thing but its 5 weeks into year 11 and I think too late.
Music 1 has a greater diversity in genre and styles of music, it is not just Tradition Western Music (classical). Students can perform pieces of different styles including contempory music. Students do not need a formal training for music 1, but the music 1 course attracts students with and without a formal training. Music 1 has listening tasks that require the candidate to listen to certain melodies and comment on the 6 musical concepts (pitch, dynamic, structure, tone colour, duration and structure/form). Also composition is fairly straight forward and simple, there are no set theory requirement but candidates should be aware of music notation. Musicology has viva voce requirements, students are to discuss and know the work / piece / song and talk to the examiner about the findings. The comments should be objective.

Music 2 on the other hand is full of Western Tradtional art music. The course is more in depth of music analysis and there are essay requirements. I dont do the couse myself so I cant say much but I do know that practically speaking candidates should have at least a grade 5/6 profiencey of the instrument and grade 4 (AMEB) theory understanding. I've heard that sightsinging is a requirement as well.
I really wish my school offered music1 but I know if I do things through correspondance I'd procrastinate ... My repertoire is more Music 2 stuff ... enough about me... Music2 students compete against A mus A and L mus Students. Having said that AMEB and music at school is a completly different world I know a girl that did music1 one and had an L mus and failed her Aural.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
becibu said:
Ok, heres what I think. I have talked to music teachers in my school about the two and private teachers aswell. They are very different courses ... music 2 is very full on. I am doing music 1 because music 2 is not offered in my school, I was thinking of a correspondance thing but its 5 weeks into year 11 and I think too late.
Music 1 has a greater diversity in genre and styles of music, it is not just Tradition Western Music (classical). Students can perform pieces of different styles including contempory music. Students do not need a formal training for music 1, but the music 1 course attracts students with and without a formal training. Music 1 has listening tasks that require the candidate to listen to certain melodies and comment on the 6 musical concepts (pitch, dynamic, structure, tone colour, duration and structure/form). Also composition is fairly straight forward and simple, there are no set theory requirement but candidates should be aware of music notation. Musicology has viva voce requirements, students are to discuss and know the work / piece / song and talk to the examiner about the findings. The comments should be objective.

Music 2 on the other hand is full of Western Tradtional art music. The course is more in depth of music analysis and there are essay requirements. I dont do the couse myself so I cant say much but I do know that practically speaking candidates should have at least a grade 5/6 profiencey of the instrument and grade 4 (AMEB) theory understanding. I've heard that sightsinging is a requirement as well.
I really wish my school offered music1 but I know if I do things through correspondance I'd procrastinate ... My repertoire is more Music 2 stuff ... enough about me... Music2 students compete against A mus A and L mus Students. Having said that AMEB and music at school is a completly different world I know a girl that did music1 one and had an L mus and failed her Aural.

Its actually not too late to enroll at all because I enrolled at the end of the term 1 for Music 2 when I was Yr 11 via distance ed.
I'm thinking of dropping Music 2 actually and moving back to Music 1 being taught by my teacher at school because I personally think this course is definately full on without a teacher who is able to guide you 24/7 and it is really easy to fall behind especially if you are a procastinator (much like myself LOL), though thats not the only reason why I wanted to drop it, it was because of other reasons (school captain responsibilities, 13 units and such) too not just because I'm a procastinator lol anyways, my whole point is that don't choose this course if you know you are going to fall behind and not do the work in because there is absolutely no point in doing it, but definately choose it if you are really interested in it (especially western style music) and would want to do something with music after school that requires Music 2 as a prerequisite for uni by all means go for it! But you have been warned!!! lol
I hope this will help you somehow! & Goodluck! :)

becibu

HSC
13 units! WOW! ... ok ... thats a lot!

Anyways, are you sure you wanna drop down to Music1 ... Seriously ... ok, you'd probably want to when things get hectic but Music1 is one of the most boring subjects I reackon. I am still waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. I finish my music homework in class, I know its the beginning of year 11 and we're just being introduced to the course but I know people in year 12 that are doing in that say its great if you wanna bludge! I dunno, heck every other subject is so stressful ...

Well, yeah ... I might look into doing music2 through correspondance then, maybe even extention ... did you do extentnion ness at one stage? I'll drop it when I get bored.
The music teachers in my highschool would probablly go bananas if I do music2 ... both of them said that Music1 is a "better" course. ... How did your teachers react ness?

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
becibu said:
13 units! WOW! ... ok ... thats a lot!

Anyways, are you sure you wanna drop down to Music1 ... Seriously ... ok, you'd probably want to when things get hectic but Music1 is one of the most boring subjects I reackon. I am still waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. I finish my music homework in class, I know its the beginning of year 11 and we're just being introduced to the course but I know people in year 12 that are doing in that say its great if you wanna bludge! I dunno, heck every other subject is so stressful ...

Well, yeah ... I might look into doing music2 through correspondance then, maybe even extention ... did you do extentnion ness at one stage? I'll drop it when I get bored.
The music teachers in my highschool would probablly go bananas if I do music2 ... both of them said that Music1 is a "better" course. ... How did your teachers react ness?
Yeah at this stage I really want to move down because the workload is starting to hit me already.
Yes, Music 1 is I have to admit a boring course though comparing it with Music 2 topic wise it seems to be more diverse, but hey with that being said it's an easy course and so therefore its easier to do well in it rather than performing average in Music 2.
Music 1 to me seems more of a less stressful subject and one you where you can 'bludge' in as it's not as full on as Music 2 but thats just what I think.
Im assuming your currently coming 1st in your class? Well If you are, I would (personally speaking from experience) stay because I came from coming 1st/22 (mark of 90) doing Music 1 to 6th/9 doing Music 2 (mark of 70) so if you look at the mark and rank here, Music 1 seems to be the better course for me. BUT like I said its up to you whether you want to move or stay.

As for doing Extension, I wouldnt really be the best person to talk to you about this seeing as though I'm not doing the course but I'll try to put in my 5 cents worth! lol. At one stage I did think about choosing it but after talking about it with some friends who have did the course at another school they all say its a really time consuming subject and because I was doing 13 units already there was no way I was going to kill myself with another! lol. This subject alone, even though its counted as a 1 unit subject, the time required for it seems like its double and because its an extension subject, most of the work is on your own and its best having a teacher there to guide with you 24/7. Also don't forget you are competing against students who are at AmusA level (or beyond) with their instrument and have been studying music since they were toddlers and so the stakes are pretty high! lol

Last edited:

Race

HSC
as far as I know, Music 2 is more classical inclined...they do a lot of note reading and so on. I think most of them have some sort of leveling....
music 1 is more to do with performance, there's minimal notereading, and tehy focus on listening.
I did music 2 for two weeks then dropped to music one. It's way more fun.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Music 2 involves a very large variety of music, ranging from medieval and renaissance to (australian) music of the last 25 years. Knowing a decent amount of theory is pretty much a prerequisite to at least doing okay in the course. That's why you'll probably see most of the people that do music 2 probably have done grades or some form of formal musical training in the past.

Music 1 is alot more contemporary, and although I don't do the course myself, it looks like a whole lot more fun. The music in the course is much more narrower than the ranges of music you'll see in music 2, and the course is also more flexible, I believe, because people who do music 1 generally come from a large range of musical backgrounds, including those who are self-taught, people who have done grades, have had formal musical training, and in a variety of genres of playing.

That being said, if you want to study music at a tertiary level, it might be good if you do music 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)