Music 1- Question 3. WTF? (1 Viewer)

metallicrap

HSC
Did anyone else's whole music class and examiners start laughing when this song came on??

It was ridiculous, so out of tune, it gave me a damn headache.

And tension??? since when does that get asked?

stupid question.

wez

HSC
I'm gunna fucking murder Iannis Xanarkis or whatever the fuck his name is.

SO SHIT!

benji1234

question 3 was really lame. BUt neverthe less.. a lame question can be accompianied by a lame exerpt.. touche?
Question 3 did ask for tension, and we got a whole lot of tension in the exerpt.. BUT it wasn't so bad, its jsut that none is really familiar with describing tension

dumbralph

HSC
i thought that questio was easy...there was so much to talk about...epieciually with all the concepts...and metallicrap...tension was created becasue it was so out of tune...i think that was the entire pt.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Tension = conflict in musical terms

So yeh, disonance, atonal key, contrast, crap like that.

rachey_poo

HSC
i agree, in that when i read the question in reading time, i was like WTF?!?! Tension?!?!, and when the piece started i was a little set back, but after that it was fairly easy to respond to....also the fact they said with reference to the musical concepts made it fairly easy, as you could talk about anything....it would have been worse if they'd just said discuss how erm melody was used to create tension.......
i found the best things to talk about were dynamics, and the use of dissonance, and the cross/poly rhythms....and how it sounded all bustly, confused and tension-y.....lol...

franks_beans4

HSC
Yes i think that was the easiest music exam that i have ever completed. i managed to fill up the whole booklet. About a thousand times easier than the trial. And to mellicrap, question 3 was the easiest question in the exam. there was tension all over the place. And also: question 4. i am a huge zeppelin fan and i have never heard that song before. in the reading time i thought they might have mixed up the name of the song with the song "black Dog". Can someone please tell me what album that song was off?

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
yeh i thought the exam was pretty good. stuffed up the last question with led zeppelin and pitch tho! oh well! IT'S DONE!:)

ajn18.10.87

Hey fellow muso's

The exam was ok...

Q3 was funi...my whole calss laughed to hahah to bad im the only one in my music class o well lol!!! but it was a good question so much to write on it...as it was a C20th peice...it was so random you could talk about all the things it didnt do or have like no sence of time sig and key signature and the polyphonic texture with the disonance of the contrasting pitches creates tension and also the tone colours. etc

how did everyone else find the other questions??

metallicrap said:
Did anyone else's whole music class and examiners start laughing when this song came on??

It was ridiculous, so out of tune, it gave me a damn headache.

And tension??? since when does that get asked?

stupid question.

mrkotter

good paper i thought. Question 3 was good beacause it was so broad and tension was stabbing you in the face obvious. Filled the double page up nearly needed more paper for question 3.

I was doing pratice papers and one question asked about mood changes.
Found it it was in the CSSA 2000 trial: comment on tempo and mood changes.

Practice put me on the ball for questions like that

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I didnt think that this was such a bad question, when we had to do a compositiong task i had researched and listened to some of the work of xenakis and so i kind of knew exactly what to expect!!

as for tension, well it was a fair piece to talk about for that

Toby Buchanan

HSC
Question 3 was one of the easiet to write about I thought... For those who found it tough, you should have written about the tension there woulda been if you met the composer haha.. Annnnyway.. I found q1 the hardest.. had a bit of a mental blank which was a first in music for me.. Did anyone else set it out as they did in a similar quesiton they had in the 2003 hsc standard packages? just interested to know if i was the only one to borrow that idea.. with the sections and instruments in a table and just tick off which instruments were in each section.. they got band 5/6 so it must have been an alright technique

mrkotter

Tobes said:
I found q1 the hardest.. had a bit of a mental blank
shit aye ive already forgotten what question one was about. Can someone just post the questions. My tutor will probably be pissed if i forget what the questions were

metallicrap

HSC
That Zeppelin Song was one of the Jimmy Page/ Robert Plant Duo's made in the 80's or 90's, its not a zeppelin song, lol although i must admit, i was thinking the same thing. Dont they mean black dog?

And that voice, jesus it didnt sound nothing like Robert Plant.

Lucan\'

HSC
Hang on..you studied for music?

haha sorry i didn't think you could.

Yeah my whole class/examiner laughed at Q3

Forgot to mention dissonance but crapped on about augmentation n all the other crap

filled the 2 pages 4 every question

TOP exam

wooooooooooooooot

pinkballerina18

HSC
Singers

I love that atonal type of music that they played for Q3. I listen to it a lot. But I still did pretty shit. My teacher warned me that it would probably be all instrumental this year coz it was all vocal last year. To all the singers out there, don't you wish there was more vocal?!?!

Petrice

ajn18.10.87 said:
The exam was ok...

Q3 was funi...my whole calss laughed to hahah to bad im the only one in my music class o well lol!!! but it was a good question so much to write on it...as it was a C20th peice...it was so random you could talk about all the things it didnt do or have like no sence of time sig and key signature and the polyphonic texture with the disonance of the contrasting pitches creates tension and also the tone colours. etc

how did everyone else find the other questions??
There wasn't a polyphonic texture. Polyphonic means a minimun of two independent melodies, generally with some sort of accomp. The instruments didn't play 'melodies' as such. Perhaps you could say it was 'polyrhythmic'. But it generally was a dissonant piece, or a piece of atonality.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Tobes said:
Question 3 was one of the easiet to write about I thought... For those who found it tough, you should have written about the tension there woulda been if you met the composer haha.. Annnnyway.. I found q1 the hardest.. had a bit of a mental blank which was a first in music for me.. Did anyone else set it out as they did in a similar quesiton they had in the 2003 hsc standard packages? just interested to know if i was the only one to borrow that idea.. with the sections and instruments in a table and just tick off which instruments were in each section.. they got band 5/6 so it must have been an alright technique
yeh i also found q1 stupid. i got stuck, i hate figurin out structure. lucky its only a 6 marker and not an 8 like the other ones. and then q 2 came along about repetition, and i thought, great, i've stuffed up my chances at music. then along came q3. Nice broad tension question, talk bout ne concepts u want, and then q4 was good too. Maybe it took me a while to warm up. Oh well, guess im not toppin the state then. State place? Pls? Maybe? nah, doubt it.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
metallicrap said:
That Zeppelin Song was one of the Jimmy Page/ Robert Plant Duo's made in the 80's or 90's, its not a zeppelin song, lol although i must admit, i was thinking the same thing. Dont they mean black dog?

And that voice, jesus it didnt sound nothing like Robert Plant.
It was an old-school B side song, never made any albums. God knows how the Board got their hands on it. I thought it was a poor song. lol, i liked the vertical harmony though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)