Music 1- Question 3. WTF? (1 Viewer)

finny87

HSC
I think it was a great exam because it asked different questions that branched off the musical concepts. Questions that made you think about the music more.

And to all those people who say how much they write - its not how much you write, its what you write....

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
finny87 said:
I think it was a great exam because it asked different questions that branched off the musical concepts. Questions that made you think about the music more.

And to all those people who say how much they write - its not how much you write, its what you write....
hey, cool, thanks for that reminder. i'm sittin here thinking, "but i wrote like hardly anything. I'm stuffed...!" K, hopefully the quality of my content was likeable.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I liked question three. It was my favourite. I had heaps to talk about.

al_x

short*
HSC
Meads said:
Tension = conflict in musical terms

So yeh, disonance, atonal key, contrast, crap like that.
i was under the impression dissonant was characteristics of a key, and since atonal means no key, it could not be both atonal and dissonant. is this true?

i said it was atonal

Petrice

oh really, that's good because i said it was atonal as well, i wasn't sure about dissonance...
yeah finny87 i agree with you. You could write 700 pages about the pieces, doesn't mean your points are right.
Actually, I was looking at last years answers, and they're pretty technical. Lots of notation. I did a few diagrams and drew rough approximations of notes and note values, but I didn't use the staves provided!
Did anyone use the staves?!?

SamuelB

HSC
al_x said:
i was under the impression dissonant was characteristics of a key, and since atonal means no key, it could not be both atonal and dissonant. is this true?

i said it was atonal
Ahhh, i'm personally not so sure about that. Really, the key should have nothing to do with it because dissonace really comes down to intervals and the harmonic series and overtones. Basically, whenever a note is played, we are actually hearing a number of other notes or 'overtones' however the most prominant is the actual note being played.

In fact It is the strength of particular overtones that actually produces different timbres, eg sax versus trumpet. Anyhow, back on topic, the first overtone is an octave higher than the , the second is fith higher then a fourth higher, then a 3rd higher, etc.

check it out: http://www.music.sc.edu/fs/bain/atmi02/hs/index-audio.html

So that is why an octave interval is the least dissonant, followed by an open fith, open forth, major 3rd, blah blah.

You are therefore completely incorrect in that saying that you cannot have atonality and dissonance. Atonality simply means that no particular note is given more importance than another. In practice, this generally means avoiding any consonant intervals or scalic movement, which is pretty much what dissonance is.

So yeah, feel free to correct me on anything here, this is just my understanding.

KoeN

♫♫ MUDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......................water BLUUUUUEEEESSSSSS ♫♫

JoeysBoy

HSC
None of the instruments were out of tune. The cello used microtones... which is different to being out of tune.

metalmulisha

HSC
franks_beans4 said:
Yes i think that was the easiest music exam that i have ever completed. i managed to fill up the whole booklet. About a thousand times easier than the trial. And to mellicrap, question 3 was the easiest question in the exam. there was tension all over the place. And also: question 4. i am a huge zeppelin fan and i have never heard that song before. in the reading time i thought they might have mixed up the name of the song with the song "black Dog". Can someone please tell me what album that song was off?

Man that was a thousand times harder than our trial.
Stupid school.

metalmulisha

HSC
And..it's probly just me..but i dont think there was enough room to write everything..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)