Music 1 Scaling (1 Viewer)

laurenxoxo

HSC
If you're doind 7th grade now, you will be in no way disadvantaged in doing Music 1. To be honest a lot of this 'scaling' is total bullshit within the bigger picture. Year by year people choose more challenging subjects to be scaled more highly and are disappointed with how little the so-called 'scaling' brings up their average mark. I did music 1 last year and thought I did pretty average job to be honest, and ended up getting a 96.and I only learned my songs the week before,(and one the day before) the trials. Just put some guts into it and you'll rip it. GO SON!

(Another tip, predominantly for any singers: don't practice a song to death..if you get sick of a song, CHOOSE ANOTHER!! Lack of enthusiasm shines right through. Don't fake it. It's not just your mind that get's sick of it...your voice does too lol. Well for me anyway. That's the logic behind choosing a song i'd never heard before to learn the day before.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Sammi B said:
I was wondering if any one could help me....I'm in Year 11 doing Music 1 at a school which doesnt offer music 2 and I'm worried about scaling for this subject. I wanna get a UAI of about 98.5 and I'm worried that I'm gonna have to be some sort of freak of nature to get it while doing Music 1. I've been playing piano for about 11 yrs and I'm studying 7th grade atm, but I've heard the scaling sux for Music 1. Can anyone help please?????

Thanks
Sam:)

Hit the correspondence. Seriously.

Music one scales like shit, and with a bad teacher you are going to have a very difficult time trying to get a UAI of 98.5.
You'd be much better off to take up Music 2 through correspondence. It is a mostly theoretical based course, and as long as you have an out of school music teacher for your piano you will be totally fine. ask your head of facultly about it.

HSC
The way I understand it, if you get about 85 or more in ANYTHING, you're going to get scaled up... it's just that if you do BADLY in a subject which doesn't scale well, it'll hurt more.

I also understand that if you're doing 7th grade piano, you'll be fine... They're not really looking for any kind of virtuoso anyway, and pretty much if you perform ANYTHING well, with solid technique and musicality, you'll get good marks.

Music 2 scales better, but the standards are also much much higher... I was talking to my music teacher today, and talked about this totally fantastic pianist who now accompanies opera in Italy who did music 2 and got a raw mark of 88...

and then he talked about 3 guys in last year's yr12 music 1 class... 2 decent (not amazing, but solid) guitarists and a very VERY good drummer, and their raw marks were 94, 94, and 95.

But yes, I too am annoyed at shitty teachers. My teacher couldn't teach the class what a triplet was! At which I volunteered to take over, and they understood within a minute. (I'm not bragging... just saying that my teacher is shit)

brigittaclare

HSC
wow. i don't mean to be so assumptuous
but are you from a capital city?
i live in a country town and there is no way anyone in our whole school is going to get above 98.5, let alone in just our music class.
our highest UAI on record is like 97.7.

oh yeh, i'm doing music too, want to get high band 6 in singing (Y)
good luck anyway.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Look, if you are confident enough to be doing music 2, then there is going to be very minimal detriment to your UAI if you do music 1. I of course am assuming that somebody thinkin about doing music 2 is capable of getting 94+ in Music 1.

As a case study, my mate and I both got 98 in Music 1. I only got 93.5 UAI, however he got 99.85.

Just like any other subject, do well, and you will be fine.

~untitled~

HSC
Im with what everyone else said, if you do well in music 1 (high 90's) then you shouldnt have any trouble with your uai. Considering i got a mark of 86 and had only been playing piano on and off for less than 5 years (and wrote half a viva the night before the exams), you shouldnt have any problems at all achieving that!

Sammi B

HSC
God I haven't been on here in ages and I hadn't realised how many ppl had replied again! Unfortunately, I got stuck doing music 1, but it hasn't been too bad coz I've realised it more than likely won't count for my UAI considering I have 14 units total (I picked up a 2 unit distinction course this yr). Though, I will recommend to any one doing Music 1 in the future, unless u know u can go extremely well, or u have other subjects to back up ur UAI, I suggest look at Music 2 by correspondence.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)