Music 2: Catholic Trial 2003 - Melody Dictation ARGH! (Among other things...) (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
I just did the Catholic 2003 HSC Trial paper for my half yearly (cheap public school with one-teacjer music faculty), rather badly today, and that melody dication was argh! Is there a soul out there as well who thought it a bit horrible too? It was Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony, and I thought the note started on was just an example, not the actual starting point, so that stuffed me up for about the first 3 playings and by the 6th I had no idea what was going on, so bye-bye 5 marks. The note they had looked like an anacrusis as well because the bar was smaller than the other ones, so arghness all around!

Dumb question: In melody dictation, the note and pitch they start on is actually the very first note that will be played? Because I had the biggest brain explosion apart from that...

Also, that "Check It Out" was pretty weird... funny though.

And in the Question 4, the extened essay response, it said we could refer to only ONE other work, and the "Check It Out" piece only... in the real HSC exam we'll be able to mention as many as we want, right?!??

:rolleyes:

olay

HSC
OH MY GOSH :O you poor thing. how did u not know that it was the correct pitch though????? haven't you done practise melodic dictations before??? we had an evil melodic dictation in ours, which was bad news for me considering i suck at 'em. it was 'Dawn Mantras' by Ross Edwards. did anyone else do it???? sounds mad, but bloody oath the rhythm was hard. :( needless to say, i screwed it up badly :)

answer to the first note q'n: yes. yes yes yes. [they don't expect us to have perfect pitch!!!!]

second question: no idea... but in our half yrly it specified that we should refer to 2 pieces.

chepas

HSC
1) Course I knew it was correct pitch, but the way the bar it was in looked smaller than the rest of them I just said to myself "Hang on, is this just an example, or an anacrusis, or what?!?!"

Yeah - we did t he Dawn Mantras one in class as a practice - I got that one right!!! And not this one in the half yearly that actually couted for something, and had a pulse of some sort!

2) Ah k, cos in the trial paper it said just one - I did two anyway.... lost inspiration for just one!

chepas

HSC
Ah HA! Turns out that there was a problem with it, it was written out wrong! Can't imagine what all the people doing it last year would have gone through.

So we did it again today. No biggy! Sigh of relief... My teacher realised there was something just horribly wrong with it so yeah... hooray!

Adam B

HSC
Yeah i did dawn mantras for my year 12 half yearly this year. I found that it was shit hard. I didn't get the trick that it was using imitation and iwas was trying to hear a pulse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)