Music 2- core performance (1 Viewer)

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
i was just wondering if any Music 2ers have had trouble finding an Australian piece of the last 25yrs for their core performance? I went to the AMC in Sydney last year and got to look at heaps of stuff, but nothing was for my level (they were all A.mus.A, L.mus.A stuff!)

i have a piece (and i hate it!) but i just want to know if anyone else has had trouble, or have found it easy to get one

:headbang:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Hey Parko,

First of all, what instrument do you play? And what level are you looking at? What's the piece you already have?

When I did music, I combed the AMC as well, and yeah, it seems as though most of the (interesting) contemporary stuff written in the last 30 years is rather difficult. For piano, anyway. I did the Vine Bagatelles, but they're around A.Mus std I think. You should be able to find something not as taxing. Recommending something is difficult because I don't know what you play. :)

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
hey Weisy

im 8th piano, which im finding to be pretty good. but the whole aussie music thing....aggh it drove me crazy! the only stuff the amc staff bought out (even though they were very helpful!!) was A.mus and L. Mus which i didnt mind, but having to learn another two pieces sorta ruined that idea for me!!

I've got "Red Blues" by Carl Vine. It's ok, i've played some of the movements before. I just played it for my half yearly on tuesday and i think i went ok. But the trouble i had to find a piece, oh man it was excruciating. And my teacher's having trouble teaching it to me cos she's just not used to the style. Which worries me alot!!! :uhoh:

I listened to the vine bagatelles when i was there, but it was out so i couldnt borrow it (i was like 15th on the mailing list so i didnt worry about it!), and plus it sounded a little hard (which was disappointing!!)

but oh well, im ready now and ive got the pieces under control. thanks for replying

parko :D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Well I'm glad you got it all sorted out. :D

I know what it feels like to choose pieces...*shudders*...fortunately my teacher's a champ and usually knows what's good for me, and what works.

If you're 8th grade standard you shouldn't have an immense amount of trouble with Amus pieces, it's jsut that there isn't a lot of time to learn them...

Are you doing Music 2 or extension? WHat are your other pieces?

dougypizza

HSC
hey guys! i play violin, and i have this piece by william lehmann very interesting! I had a string recital tonight, and played it, and it was so out of sorts with all the other pieces that wer eplayed. I think the audience were in shock! haha i had my half yearly's - 5/15 Impressive hey! i had only started learning hte piece a coupl weeks agao cause i broke my ankle and ended up in hospital

i made up for it in the exam though, so its all sweet. i t must be hard for the markers though, i have a veyr large solo part in my piece, and the unconventional movement of notes must be so hard for the examiners to listen to and decide whether the intonation is correct!

Yeha AMC is pretty good. I just got a violin pieces book.
how you guys goign with all your musical concepts?

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Weisy-
im doing music 2, and find it challenging but very very interesting. i love it (no matter how frustrated i get with it!!) My other pieces are Sonata by Mozart and Allegro by Beethoven. If you couldnt tell my elective subject is classical. Yeah i know there's not much between an 8th grade and an A.mus piece, but as you said, there isnt much time to learn a dodgy aussie work plus two A.mus pieces! I would if i could though!!

dougypizza-
well after a pretty pathetic year of preliminary musicology, i decided to knuckle down and now can talk pretty well about the concepts. i had a basic knowledge of them, but couldnt get out what was in my head onto the exam paper, sounding like a band 5/6 answer. but with alot of time and effort im getting better and feeling alot more confident than i was a year ago!!

hope the ankle's ok!!

oh well, about 100 days to get everything sorted!! :D

parko :) :) :)

rhapsody_75

performances

how many performances are you doing? and how is your acting?
if you are an alrite actor, then try take it that way, coz there is one whole segment on it in the scheme that can drag you up.

also, emphasis your ability to co-ordinate and interact with an ensemble.

go to the marking schemes and find every other aspect other than the singing part and find something that lets you show off how good you are at the rest. from memory the rest can be learnt and practised in a shorter time frame than vocal ability and flexibility.

can you play any other instruments? like guitar?
someone said before taking an old song and making it rock. was a really good suggestion, but also the other way round. take rock, make it more accoustic. my teachers have been telling me that markers *can* doubt rock-y/pop-y songs more because they very often dont have much technical difficulty. even if that isnt the case.
someone else also said do something that you like. thats good, but ive had to discount a lot of great songs - which has been really hard - because they didnt show off my particular talents well enough

music one can be manipulated i guess is the most important thing to remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)