Music 2 - How Did You Go??!! (1 Viewer)

be_lind_a

well i thought it was really hard..particulary compared to last papers...im not very good at music, im coming 2nd last in my class actually and should be doing music 1 but i studied heaps hard and that essay question...they really should think of something decent to 'critically analyse'......so yeah overall i think i failed if not only just passed because i didnt get the melody dictation and already know of 4 1 marks answers being wrong so woo hoo for me!!! im just praying my essay, compositiona nd performance went well!!!!!.....so howd u go

Last edited:

sambo_rambo

HSC
Yeah, i agree that it was a challenging paper, especially compared to last years. The melodic dictation was hard i thought because it was so SLOW. Oh well, last music exam ever! WOO!

Captain pi

HSC
Question 1 — Haydn (Symphony No. 96) quite good, I seem to recall that part (c) "describe the contrast between bars 87-137 and 188-237 [I think they're the barnumbers]" was difficult.

Question 2 — Cello and piano piece by Nick sounds-like-but-not-Scriabin. Melodic dictation was quite subtle and difficult but I was able to complete something resembling the score, I think. Other part "describe the use of silence and expressive techniques" should have been worth more :)p)!

Question 3 — Aaron Copland piece-that-sounded-like-it-was-Scandinavian for violin and cello. Quite interesting questions.

Question 4 — pretty predictable question.

Quite a good exam.

sambo_rambo

HSC
Captain pi said:
Other part "describe the use of silence and expressive techniques" should have been worth more :)p)!
I agree! I liked the essay question too.

lord chumpley

HSC
i thought the essay question was easy to adapt to the pieces you had. pretty general really. way better than past papers. i ran out of time on the essay question though because i talked about too much in one of my pieces =S
the melody dictation was alright, partly because you had the piano part underneath and (thank the lord) it was in treble clef.
i'm just glad its over, and it was nothing like the 2003 paper!!!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
i thought it was good. after the exam i was a little shaken but i ran the gist of my responses past my teacher and she said well answered so its alllll goooood

NO MORE HSC FOR ME

mwahhahaha

julse

HSC
hey all
yeah i thought that it was a more difficult paper in comparison with all the past ones i have done or any assessment i have done. It wasn't so much hard as it was 'tricky' - just unusual questions, it's like the bos just felt like being inventive or somthn. Would have been nice to have some 'regular' questions on texture and tone colour or alike, but you know, just did what i had to do. I know there are some things i coulda done better but ahh well. Thought the essay question was very simple and nothning unexpected there. Melody dictation- I loved having that piano part!!! Apart from that, didn't feel great bout the paper but didn't feel real bad bout it either, a bit of in between really....

ginnyesp

yeah, i thought it was good and bad...ur average music 2 paper I guess...good parts, and not so good parts - ohwell, it's over!

Yeah i agree it was a pretty challenging paper, harder than any of the one's i've done before. The essay was pretty easy though, i just wish they'd give us a little bit more time thats all. Melodic dictation was a pig!

rusty_rouge

HSC
I thought it was okay - I loved the 'Resting Point' questions, they were cool - and im SOOOOOO glad they did dictation instead of transposition, which I always seem to manaage to screw up. Oh, and the essay wasn't too bad either...:D

giverny

HSC
i definately could have written much more in the essay.
eeeeeek. i always try to write music essays like english essays...all structured and what-not...but i know i don't have to. so that was really frustrating,
but the score-reading responses were really good! and they were great pieces too!
congrats to everyone for finishing music 2! :)

soulshine

HSC
weeee!!

well i thought the melody dictation was wonderful! what a beautiful piece of music!!

unfortunately i didnt get a chance to conclude my essay :| but... i wrote quite solidly and had heaps of examples and stuff.

i realised some silly mistakes after...

but it wasnt too bad. hehe i loved the chord recognition :p eeeeeasy.

anyways. its done!

do you think it'll be scaled up?

bennychanman

Stratttys (That's Strathfield, for all those who a
HSC
soulshine said:
weeee!!

well i thought the melody dictation was wonderful! what a beautiful piece of music!!

unfortunately i didnt get a chance to conclude my essay :| but... i wrote quite solidly and had heaps of examples and stuff.

i realised some silly mistakes after...

but it wasnt too bad. hehe i loved the chord recognition :p eeeeeasy.

anyways. its done!

do you think it'll be scaled up?
YAHAA music 2 always gets scaled up very nicely indeeeeeeed :D

avalonian

HSC
scaling wise just for comparison, i kno these numbers dont mean anything:

music 2 is about +6
for example:
economics is +5
Maths extension 1 is about +8
english (standard and advanced) are -2.6
maths extension 2 is like +17

They're just some random comparisons i remembered (all approximate), so yea, it scales well.

Rnt the board of studies capable of writing a new essay question? I did the 2003 essay question last night and the question was EXACTLY the same, like 1 or 2 words changed. I thought the melody dictation was tricky, other than that it was a bit basic. I wanted a transposition tho cos i play a transposing instrument so im good at that :p!

Basically happy with paper, if u didnt do well remember its only 17% of ur final mark, that's miniscule in comparison to other subjects. Also congrats on completing the course, from ppl ive asked music 2 is one of the most time consuming courses in the hsc and now its done! Really not likin the ppl who r finished, i got eco on the last day :(.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
yeh 35% of external mark=about 17/18% of mark
Music 2 is gooood like that....if u fuck up you can redeem yourself

b0b444

HSC
yeah, i thought it was round about what i was expecting for the exam. what was the second chord in question 1? i think it was e dominant 7 but i think i wrote e major.

the essay was very similar to 2002 i thought, "Contemporary Composers use varying degrees of tradition and innovation" compared with following and sticking with convention or whatever it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)