• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music And Maths? (1 Viewer)

bobzz

HSC
Does anyone else listen to music when doin maths? i dont no why but its like the only way i can do maths for like 3 hours stight.
i dont use music for any other subjects but maths, it makes me sit their and do questions, anyone else listen to music , just curious?

-tal-

HSC
Yeah I do. I think it just gets the brain going, instead of having to hear my thoughts all the time ie "nahh I can leave it til tmoro... BOS is more fun anyway..."

In other words, it makes me concentrate. After a while, I don't "hear" the music any more, I hear my brain making me thinking about the maths problem.

Am actually doing that now.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
bobzz said:
Does anyone else listen to music when doin maths? i dont no why but its like the only way i can do maths for like 3 hours stight.
i dont use music for any other subjects but maths, it makes me sit their and do questions, anyone else listen to music , just curious?
yeah it works for me to, helps to do maths for a long period of time, it doesn't really work for other subjects coz maths u just do the exercises and stuff and u cant really get put off by the music that much if u know wat i mean

Just.Snaz

HSC
Yeah I can only do maths with music. It keeps my mind stimulated which also means I can do it for hoursss non-stop :eek:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Music And Maths?

I have 3-8 hour trance sets that keep me mellow and so I'm able to math marathon.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Same here lol. I listen to music when I am doing maths but I never listen to music at other time, it bothers my thinking path. But when I am faced with a difficult question I get rid of iPod to give a second thought, in that case, music distracts me.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
I can only do maths to music I've known/heard for a while, because that way I don't become distracted - otherwise I'm just tempted to sing along or interpret the meaning of the lyrics or something.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
I can't listen to music when studying any subject. It's just too distracting.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but for me, it only works for Maths.

dolbinau

HSC
I watch movies while doing maths. Music doing everything else. Otherwise studying is extremely boring!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
I watch movies while doing maths. Music doing everything else. Otherwise studying is extremely boring!
How can you watch movies while doing maths?

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
I listen to Music while doing maths, but when I get to the harder 4-unit problems I have to either turn it right down, or off. It's usually the latter. Music is fine when you don't really need to put that much thought into it.

[Edit]: I watch T.V shows while studying maths. I finished 7 seasons of buffy in about a month just by watching it while I study maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Js^-1 said:
I listen to Music while doing maths, but when I get to the harder 4-unit problems I have to either turn it right down, or off. It's usually the latter. Music is fine when you don't really need to put that much thought into it.
QFT. Exactly my case.

old.skool.kid

HSC
Yeah i always listen to some laid back hip hop, it makes me wanna keep working. And like someone else said, you sort of forget about it and your mind just becomes more focused on the maths. I can listen to music for everything except english and history. Also when im trying to learn a new concept in physics or chem i cant listen to it, but when it becomes more of a routine listening to music makes it easier...

Sometimes in exams i have music going in my head lol. Its probably the reason i always make stupid mistakes.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Js^-1 said:

[Edit]: I watch T.V shows while studying maths. I finished 7 seasons of buffy in about a month just by watching it while I study maths.
Lol3unit :D

dolbinau

HSC
lyounamu said:
How can you watch movies while doing maths?

You turn the movie on, put a maths paper in front and do the work?

I do 2u, It's easy to multi task as the questions are basically the same over and over again (I.e I know what to expect). Sometimes I stop around question 10 and I do stop more frequently doing 3u.

Of course It is less efficient, but far less boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)