Music = crap UAI (1 Viewer)

Circles

HSC
meh, so what if it scales bad.. if ur really passionate about music, i dont think ur going to be too fussed about wat happens.. in saying that, whoever that idiot is who wants to do commerce or business or actuarial studies and did music 1.. you are a goof... sorry.. has to be said.. but otherwise.. hey, we're all in it for the love. In reality, music is life.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
97??!?!?!?!
i think i might go cry now...
jk jk :D
our highest was 92

and don't worry, my other marks were shit too!
yay! *hi five*

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Circles said:
meh, so what if it scales bad.. if ur really passionate about music, i dont think ur going to be too fussed about wat happens.. in saying that, whoever that idiot is who wants to do commerce or business or actuarial studies and did music 1.. you are a goof... sorry.. has to be said.. but otherwise.. hey, we're all in it for the love. In reality, music is life.
LOL!!!
i think that was me, but i didn't post that up in this thread...
are you stalking me?! :D

Circles

HSC
hah :D no.. that was me... u may have said something similar though... :S no idea hah freaky :S

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yeah crikket *HI 5* woo hoo! but no no im sure ur other marks and that low! not to worry we shall work hard for the HSC!!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
trumpet geek said:
yeah crikket *HI 5* woo hoo! but no no im sure ur other marks and that low! not to worry we shall work hard for the HSC!!
hmm yes... work hard hey... i suppose there's a first time for everything :D

Jedi Benji

I liek do Music 1 and liek im pretty pro at it n stuff, but i do it caus i enjoy it, so should you.

It doesnt matter liek how the subject scales, you'll do liek naturally betta at subjects you enjoy.

Dont worry bout teh UAI, you dont have to calculate it or liek figure it out, thats the board of studies job, all you needa do is do teh best you can.

gl hf

Eddie2004

HSC
Not so sure

My music teacher told us that music, drama etc are subjects that get scaled UP! Things like Moder history, Business etc gp dow (grrr). Yeah,but I'm pretty sure music goes up.

Abraxus

HSC
It's not the mark, but the Assessment Rank that goes to the Board of Studies. I came first in Music 1, does that mean I get scaled up or down? I really don't get how scaling works, no matter how many times I read about it in that scaling page in the site ...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Abraxus said:
It's not the mark, but the Assessment Rank that goes to the Board of Studies. I came first in Music 1, does that mean I get scaled up or down? I really don't get how scaling works, no matter how many times I read about it in that scaling page in the site ...

have you tried using that SAM thing? I enterd all my trial marks and i got 97 for music which got scaled up to 100 so if this was the real hsc last yaer then i woulda come close to first or something if only this was my actual hsc mark!! Yeah i duno if you came first then it should be good - cos like i think its all about the ranking that matters like if some one gets like 60 but that was like the highest mark in the state then yeah maybe yeah that gets scaled up maybe i dunoo who cares no one knows how this works it doesnt matter cos the HSC is a load of bullshit ive already given up studying im just concentrating on my auditions at the mo! arghhhhh

Danoz The Great

HSC
I thought I'd rank up, because there's musicology, aural, theory and auditions...

forleece

arghhh you have everything wrong
OK so here's how it works
UAI Wise: Music 1 gets scaled down and Music 2 gets scaled up but only slightly and the most important thing to remember is if you get over 90 in any subject no matter what the scaling is they can not touch your mark they will NOT scale it at all.

Now scaling does not just occur UAI Wise scaling also occurs mark wise. When you recieve your mark from the BOS after you sit your HSC you recieve a mark between 50 - 100 and then from that mark you are placed in a band. Of course not everyone gets inbetween 50 and 100 for a test so these are scaled from the mark you got in your tests/performances etc. the scaling of this varies from course to course and im not sure what music scales (everything gets scaled up at least a bit) and then from this mark the UAC take the mark and rescale it for UAI once all those marks are scaled they then scale it according to your school and how the state did etc.

Also if you think scaling for music is bad, drama is a hell of alot worse. It's the hardest subject in the state to get a Band 6 in.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
This thread should have been posted in the UAI - Technical Arcana forum.

However, what markyboi 17 said was about right. Generally Music 1 will scale down because there are more people doing it (~4500) and Music 2 scales up because there are less and they are usually good musos (~350).

It is NOT true that if you get over 90 you are immune to scaling. You are immune only if you are first in your course, and even then thats kinda arbitary.

Gotta run now, will right more later.

HSC
Hmmm I'm pretty sure that the amount of people sitting the course has little to do with the scaling. Eg. Economics gets around 6000 a year and scales much higher than music. UAC has their system, I'm not entirely sure how it works, something to do with adjusting the mean and standard deviation of marks, but as far as the amoun t of people sitting the course, it has nothing to do with scaling.

Also, I don't agree that this post should be moved into the technical arena. Whilst it is to do with UAI calculations and what not, it is about music and this question is directed at people who do music to get their opinion as they may have some more knowledge since they do the subject. I posted asking about aligning of music 1 marks and it was moved but i posted in both areas because some people browsing this area may of had the answer to my question.

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Well thats the thing. Are you referring to do SCALING (which is UAI) or MODERATING (which is Board of Studies.)

On the contrary, the amount of people has a lot to do with it, but more so is the quality of the candiature. The more people who take the course, the more likely you are going to have people who shouldn't be doing the subject doing it. Ie. there aren't many people doing Music 2 who would stick with it because its really difficult, but there are more sho are doing Music 1 who would, because its an easier subject. This is where the system becomes blatantly unfair because UAC makes jugdements about the difficulty of a course, based on the subjects the candiature does.

By the quality of the candiature, they look at the subjects the people are doing, the overall marks etc. Therefore, Economics, is likely to have people doing subjects like 4U Maths, Chemistry etc. I am not saying these people are smarter But UAC certainly seems to think so and does not value the difficult nature of subjects like Music and Drama, which is really annoying. Also, as a generalisation, many people doing Music 1 would not be doing say Chemistry or Physics. (GENERALISATION - we have no way of knowing who does what) and so, UAC then believes that GENERALLY the marks from Music 1 are lower so we push it down slightly.

I said that this should have been posted there, i didn't necessaryily say it had to be moved, if not, I would have moved it already. The point i was trying to state is, you would obtain much more informed answers about the technicalities about scaling/aligning in the Technical Arena. The other is, there are no 03ers or 02ers who frequent the Music Forum and therefore, we don't have anyone who can tell us about their experience. Sure, you have people like myself who can tell you what I've researched and from what my teachers have told me, but there is no-one in this forum who can give you solid numbers (with the exception of a new member, Phanatical who may be able to give you some figures of his own)

HSC
ok i see ur point with saying how i would get better answers in the other forums however i would think that perhaps someone doing music would have already found out of a teacher or someone (like urself) and therefore i could have gotten a valuable answer.

With saying that the more ppl doing music 1, the more ppl who shouldnt be doing would do it, hece this lowers the scaling, i think it would more depend on the proportion of ppl doing music because it is a bludge. So even with lower numbers but having a somewhat large ppl doing music because its a bludge (those that will get lower marks generally) the scaling will still be low. Bottomline is the low scaling in music 1 sucks. I wish they could look at each individuals subjects and give them different scalings (eg. someone doing music 1, ext 2 maths and economics)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Unfortunatey, there is no point in wishing though, as they don't. UAC is a stupid system as we all know because everyone is a number with a number

Ie. Hi i'm 123456789 and I got 78.2 or something like that.

Not, Hi, i'm Sally, I'm really actice in my school SRC and Prefect Body, I represent my school in swimming and cross country, I did Duke of Edinbrugh and I'm top in English ext. 1 and adv. Music and Chemistry (this is just random by the way)

I mean, UAC is a stupid way of admitting people into university. We all know that. But unfortunatley our BLOODY GOVERNMENT can't be arsed to give more money to the universities and UAC is the cheapest way. By treating all the 17 and 18 year olds in this state like statistics instead of people you have too many people in universities who shouldn't be there in the first place.

/rant over.

My point is, some of the most intelligent people I know are musicians, and many of those our age who are fantastic do Music 1. One should not be marginalised because the majority of your candiature are drop-kicks. Unfortunatley, until the academics and the government sit up and wake up, then this system will remain the way it is.

I've even considered becoming a teacher and an academic with law so that I could become a politician to change it. I'm sure though that someone else will do it, but then again I wonder. It is definatley a career path I won't rule out.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Although ujuphleg, there's another side of this

Those extra-curricular activities you named can land you a scholarship in places like Macqaurie, especially for things like Music, (if you were to pursue music).

And the UAC does this to treat people equally, for an (extreme) example, a racist marker won't look at an asian name and go "pffft! no marks for you!" or some sort of bias, at some degree.

But I do see your point. It's a shame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)