Music I or Legal Studies? Please help! (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
I don't usually like threads that ask "which subject should I do" because the answer is usually pretty self-explanatory.

But in this case, I'm going to contradict myself and say eek! I don't know..

Currently, I'm doing 13 units (wasn't planning to do them all just wanted to start with it and see what I didn't like):

My subjects are as follows:

Maths Advanced
Maths Extension 1
English Advanced
English Extension 1
English Extension 2
Economics
Legal Studies
Music I (NOT 2)

Now I've already found myself getting into the 4 Unit English course, as I LOVE english! But I find 13 units too much for me, and I want to drop down to 11.

I really don't know if I want to drop Legal or Music. We haven't received our preliminary reports yet but after asking around I know I'm 8/27 for Legal and 2/10 for Music I. In Music I, I am finishing 8th grade piano (thinking of doing Associate) and would hope to come first as I didnt really try at the aural this year thinking I would drop it; I was 1st in performance though. Our Year 11 teacher didn't really help me much, but now we are getting the head teacher of Music. Also after re-assessing my options, I don't know if I will enjoy Legal though I have found the HSC course much more rewarding.

Even though I don't like taking into consideration the scaling and capping of subjects, I do see Music I to be affected in both areas. I'm all a bit confused on this, but IF you get a Band 6 in Music will that mark be scaled down or capped? Also, my class is full of many beginners, and I was wondering would that affect me? By the way I am from a selective school, but I don't know if that would matter in this situation. I do love Music, but I had wished there would've been a Music 1.5 as Music 2 isn't taught in our school.

If you want to know my UAI aim, I don't really have one but 93-95 would be really nice. If you have read this, thanks a lot for listening to all my gibberish, but I would really appreciate any replies. Cheers!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Considering it's the start of the year still, why not have a go at 13, then drop whatever which you don't like? BTW, is it Girraween with a 'J' or hard 'G' sound?

Liqqeh

HSC
Well, you're doing well in both, slightly more so in music and you said that most of the class are at a beginner level, so maybe keep music? I believe that legal scales better than music does, but if you keep your rank or push it to 1st, and then do well in the externals then scaling won't have a major effect. Also, looking at your other subjects, you don't wanna burn yourself out, and from what I hear, music is hella fun so it could be a time to vent out any stress or whatever.

On the flipside, if the class is full of beginners you could struggle for motivation cause of the poor competition, but I doubt it's that bad xD

Also, don't forget you can drop a subject up until a few weeks before your external exams so there's no need to rush a decision.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I was always under the impression that it was a "G" sound.

frontin

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Yep, I do understand that theres a lot of time to drop, but I was just thinking maybe it would be smarter to concentrate on the subjects I know that are going to end up counting, instead of putting lots of time and effort into something I don't know I'm going to keep.

PS: umm, I think its a hard G sound.

GERE(think of richard gere)-a-WEEEEN.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I would say keep music because you appear to have somewhat of an interest in it.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Yes, I would say definitely keep music. 8th grade piano? Shit, you've already aced the perfomance component of the course. AND you write that you're doing very well (2/10) for Music 1 without much effort apparently. Remember that doing 8th grade piano for Music 1 is an incredible advantage, and given your vested interest in music over legal studies (from what I can see) Music 1 will be a more appropriate choice. Music is heaps easy if you put a little bit of work into it and provides a break from your 'harder' subjects, anyway good luck with your choice!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Keep Legal. Legal is fantastic. Music I, on the other hand, is shit.

Now that I've spoken, lock this thread and go on your merry way, but remember to hold my advice close to your heart.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Well your doing really well in both Legal and Music :), though if I were you I think would drop Legal Studies, just looking at your list of subjects your doing quite a few extension subjects which is going to be quite time consuming and to top that, you have your other subjects to worry about it too! lol
Music 1 is a practical subject and part theory, the course would be fairly easy for you im assuming because your at AMEB 8th Grade level? and the work load would be less stressful than Legal Studies because you dont have to worry about writing more essays and etc. I also think the fact that your at AMEB 8th Grade level, you will no doubt score a band 6 for your HSC!! :)
But in the end its your decision. Goodluck with which ever one you end up dropping!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Try both at first, and make an informed decision in the weeks ahead.

But if you're contemplating dropping a subject, drop Legal. It looks like you're really really good at Music and don't take scaling into consideration, 'cause you have no control with it.

Good luck :)

avantgarde

HSC
scaling does not matter if you know you will probably get a band 6 in that subject. :)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Hmm I always thought that Music 2 was taught at Girraween :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)