Music of 1900-1945? (1 Viewer)

cls

HSC
Music of 1900-1945 *Edit*

Hi, I'm doing an elective composistion for music 2 and am doing it in the style of music from the 1900-1945. I know that there was impressionism and surrealism but does anyone know if there was anything distinctive about this period?

Thanks.
cls

*EDIT* ok this is some basic information I have found out. Is anyone else doing this for their elective topic?

There was:
*Impressionism
*Surrealism
*Atonality
*12 tone compositions
*In the time of WWI composers were forced to use small ensembles because orchestras were expensive
*The influence of jazz was seen in the 1920’s and 1930’s

Some Composers of the Era were:
*Claude Debussy (Impressionism)
*Arnold Schoenberg (12 tone system)
*Béla Bartók
*Maurice Ravel
*Erik Satie (Surrealism)
*Ralph Vaughn Williams
*Kurt Weill (used jazz influences)
*George Gershwin

Last edited:

JonoMartinovici

HSC
Re: Music of 1900-1945 *Edit*

Hey, I'm in year 11 (or year 12 and just finished year 11...doing the HSC in 09)

I'm doing 2 compositions for Music Extension. And for Music 2 I'm doing your topic, so I guess I'll have a few words.

Another great composer of the 20th century is the romanian composer George Enescu. I'm a romanian so I have a bit of an attachment to him (I'm actually in the school library listening to him through my ear phones).

Anyway, I guess you could say that composers were becoming more and more experimental in what they did. But really, to get into the distinction, you should just go and read, and more importantly listen, to music from all those periods, because you'll find that all of those styles are incredibly different to eachother, even though they often - consciously or unconsciously - were influenced by eachother's styles. I mean, even though Debussy and Ravel were considered the 2 great impressionists, they are so incredibly different to eachother, in style. Ravel was more Neo-classical.

Hope that helps.

r.uss

HSC
Concerning the world of art music, Schoenberg made the most tremendous advances in this time. His work and new approaches marked a tranformation in the way of musical thought, and I for one j'adore Schoenberg (and his pupils).

Thenceforth, I can only suggest that if you have the money to hire the musicians at the end of the year, write for the Pierrot Ensemble. I'm not fussed to write about it here, but you can PM me and I'll be happy to talk to you. I also did composition for Music Extension this past year, and would enjoy discussing anything to do with composition with you. :)

EDIT: oh this is so ridiculous... I didnt realise the thread was so old... but still. Same offer applies to anyone who wants help.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I am in the exact same boat as you right now.

Being a singer, i thought i would draw influence from Britten. I mean, you don't have to embody the most influential composer in your composition, as long as its a composer that lived in that time.

I'm doing SATB with treble solo, and imitating Britten's religious choral music. Sa-weet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)