Music societies (1 Viewer)

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
If there is a section on the UNSW web site relating to Socs which I've missed please point the way.

Failing that, I was wondering what kind of music-related societies are going strong in UNSW? Preferrably ones with a focus on composing/recording/performing/etc music, not just listening at night clubs and keeping up to date with charts. There seems to be a very prominent society for pretty much everything from sports and major religions through to "BeardSoc" :rofl: but I've never heard of anything like a MusoSoc or GuitarSoc.

If there isn't one already I'd also suggest creating a Soc index of sorts... maybe a sub-form on here would be easy?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh ive only heard of jazzsoc. how bout a gigsoc, and the members get cheap tickets to gigs at the roundhouse :D

G

Gavvvvvin

ive always wanted to make a soc where drummers guiatrists and basissta can just get together and have a jam or sumthin thatd be cool

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Theres a Musesoc starting next session thats pretty much what youre looking for. I went to their AGM but I lost their email. So im waiting to hear something from them next session and I can pass their details onto if you want.

Lain

HSC
There is a Classical Music Appreciation Society (Classical MuSoc) on UNSW campus.. established and affiliated with CASOC just last semester.

From the website:

"The University of New South Wales' Classical Music Appreciation Society (more commonly known as "Classical MuSoc"), was established in 2006 in the hopes of providing an environment where appreciators of Classical Music can express and share their interest, and providing members with an opportunity to appreciate and discover Classical Music. The definition of "Classical Music" within the society covers fine music ranging from Gregorian chant to contemporary art music."

Still newbie-ish right now but looks like it will be 'going strong' in the future ;)
The website if you're interested:
www.classicalmusoc.org

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
In the absence of any such society already... would there be much interest in a JamSoc? Kinda like Weekend Warriors or something similar, with members being split off into groups based on interests and abilities, getting a series of songs to learn and rehearse, and a series of performances throughout the year. It's obviously one of those things where the amount of interest is paramount to its success so... :guitar:...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
FerretallicA said:
In the absence of any such society already... would there be much interest in a JamSoc? Kinda like Weekend Warriors or something similar, with members being split off into groups based on interests and abilities, getting a series of songs to learn and rehearse, and a series of performances throughout the year. It's obviously one of those things where the amount of interest is paramount to its success so... :guitar:...
yes! im interested...very interested....I can find at least 2 others who would be interested...but its a start.

G

Gavvvvvin

FerretallicA said:
Yeah thats an awesome idea :D

simon2004

MUSOC@UNSW

HSC
yoman said:
As there have been a number of music societies recently affiliated their websites have not been uploaded to the casoc list yet.

The UNSW Music-related society websites are:

Society of Orchestra and Pipers (and concert band)
www.orchestra.unsw.edu.au

Jazz Society
www.jazzsoc.unsw.edu.au

PunkRockSoc (and MetalSoc)
http://www.myspace.com/PUNKROCKSOC

Classical Music Appreciation Society
http://www.classicalmusoc.org/

Music Society
http://musoc.tk

Hope that helps!
Hey all... my name's Tom and I'm just representing MUSOC to let you know a few bits'n'pieces quickly.
I am a member of the Society of Orchestra and Pipers (and concert band) and I can vouch particularly for the Orchestra, which is fantastic! One thing fun about Uni Music is most people around are HIGHLY experienced closet Musos who when you actually get them out to play are amazing! Jam-wise though I don't think Orchestra is particularly suited lol...

I can't say much about the other groups, but I can tell you we are highly active (and enthusiastic!) about assisting you guys in getting your group going. Operating the website properly for only 1 month, we have already got a jazz band going on campus that are playing on Tuesday night in a sort of simplistic talent quest/band-off at the Figtree theatre.

Someone contacted me yesterday about getting a chamber group going and we already have a page up for them on our site and a forum pending their contribution to begin it.

If you wish to get your group going, please do visit our website. It is designed to be a musician database as well (which you can gain access to by registering). You may then request details of several musicians whose profiles you are interested in and they will contact you if they wish to be involved in your group. Feel free to ask for more details about a series of people and they will be provided to you provided they approve of the request.

Please mention this thread in your requests so we know who you are...

Best wishes and hope to talk to you all soon,
Yours sincerely (and apologetically if this all seems like a dirty plug --- I am honestly writing this because I figure it will be a good use of your time --- obviously otherwise you'd just badmouth us later in this same forum for leading you on a bad trail!)
Tom (admin@musoc.tk).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)