• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music while studying? Distraction or Motivation...?!? What do you think.... (1 Viewer)

Music while studying? Distraction or Motivation...?!? What do you think....

• Total voters

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Heey ppl i was wondering whether listening to music is a distraction or a kinda motivation....anyway my parents think listening to music is a BIG NO NO while studying
can they be right?
i need some answers from some guru here lols
A good question. People all have the right to possess some form of opinion over this and in my personal views of this, I think music occasionally should be listened to whilst working. Why? There are times when music in my opinion should not be listened to. When I mean appropriate times, I am talking about not listening to music when you're doing a past exam paper for example. You don't get to listen to music during an exam so obviously, it is better to reserve the music for later and adopt to the exam atmosphere to feel more comfortable in your actual exam so you maximise your potential.

However, times will be appropriate when you should listen to music and do work. For example, I don't see any problem listening to some form of music which you enjoy and aren't distracted by whilst you're doing your homework or assignment work. So long as you're completing the work which meets your expectations, i'm sure music isn't a problem. However, if you were listening to music and you weren't accomplishing what you expected to be done in that time frame, I would definitely recommend doing work in silence. I've been told that the greatest music in the world is indeed silence. We've all heard the common phrase 'Silence is golden'. In some cases I'm sure the phrase is right, but it all depends on the person's personal preference to music and work.

Realista

HSC
I almost always listen to music while doing school work. Simply because I am easily distracted and music actually helps me calm down. I do try to stay away from metal when doing English, simply because it feels slightly uncomfortable haha. Anyway whenever the music starts to get annoying or I feel uncomfortable and feel like working in silence, I just turn it off.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYrMEW9-Rw. It goes for 1 hour so you can even tell how long you've been studying for and when to take a break.
That's pretty cool, might try that out next time I'm doing work.

_zhangstaa

HSC
N/A
music with lyrics tends to distract me, i just end up writing down the lyrics instead. so i listen to hardstyle, get you pumped to do work !

becca12

HSC
MAJOR distraction for me... i spend more time singing and air guitaring to the songs rather than working...

HSC
I always listen to music while I study or answering the syllabus dot points. For some reason it.... Implants into my brain and I remember so much more. Why? I have no idea, just personal preference or maybe its just how much content I can remember I guess .

And as realista said it does keep you calm and motivated to keep studying.

kingofthemisc

HSC
I think it is fine for most subjects but I can imagine maths or science where more focus is needed it might not be great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)