Music while studying/summarising (1 Viewer)

SolSaithis

HSC
Do you guys listen to music while studying? For me i feel that i study better (as in concentrate harder) when im listening to my ipod, since it blockes out all the unwanted sounds e.g t.v, computer, annoying sister etc... but i don't remember as much compared to when im not listening (not sure about this :p). I get told by my mum that it isn't really "studying" when you do,blah,blah,blah. So what do you guys think, is it better to listen to music or not??

-pari-

HSC
N/A
lol sorry...

anyhoo. it's a personal choice. i've been through phases when i start the whole music while studying thing but i've always forced myself off it, because it is subconciously a distraction - whatever you might say, logically part of your brain must focus its attention span in that direction.

some music is better to work with than others. noteably it's said classical music works best, but your regular pop/rock/r'nb/whatever you listen to doesn't work well

you focus better when you're doing the one thing. you're likely to learn better and faster, no matter how much you pride yourself on multitasking

just my opinion.

SolSaithis

HSC
lol yeah i guess your right. but since im soo used to listening while studying i do it subconciously. i might give your way a go. thanks for the tip.

~untitled~

HSC
baroque music is the best type to listen to whilst studying, it's supposed to increase your concentration... Me personally, i dont listen to music while i study, because i end up getting caught up in the music and loose focus.

anniea89

HSC
I only listen to music while making notes or doing math exercises. It keeps me focused otherwise I get distracted quite easily.

miss-smexy

HSC
anniea89 said:
I only listen to music while making notes or doing math exercises. It keeps me focused otherwise I get distracted quite easily.
same.

Maths + music = maths - boring

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
music while making notes
mute when studying

sometimes listen to music b4 i study just to get me pumpd

dunno if music while studying is a good idea, my friend was practicing to write essays until she realised she was only writing out the lyrics lol

ellen.louise

HSC
I listen to some types of music while studying: it helps if it's not the kind you sing along to.

But it only works with rote-learning exercises like maths.
For writing english essays it has to be no music.

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
ellen.louise said:
hippie music for me:
toguna
that song on my profile
john butler trio
pete murray
missy higgins

hippie music
wb jack johnson? biggest hippie <3 him.
if i play music i like iend up singing along. studying and good music just cant coexist

mad-triste

HSC
Problematic mostly when you're studying Music 2 and you find yourself analysing with interest every piece that you listen to.

DAMN IT.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
The only time i listen to music (ipod) is when i'm doing my german or math hwk - basically stuff that i just have to spit right back out of my brain onto the page. For chem, bio, english - i have to have my full concentration, coz i tend to get carried away when i'm listening to musik. so, musik is a no-no.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I always have my mp3 on while studying because it helps me not to fall asleep, also it makes studying alot more interesting lol

Last edited:

bottomsup

HSC
I listen to Sigur Ros.
They're Icelandic so it makes it difficult to sing along (unless you happen to speak Icelandic fluently), hence less distraction.
I usually need some sort of background music to block out whatever other noises could interrupt me from studying, ie. brother or sister screaming, mother vacuuming etc.:burn:

SolSaithis

HSC
bottomsup said:
I usually need some sort of background music to block out whatever other noises could interrupt me from studying, ie. brother or sister screaming, mother vacuuming etc.:burn:
lol i hear ya. i hate it when siblings annoy you when your trying to study.

I listen to fast paced music to get me pumped up for studying, since we all know, studying is borrring. I listen when im doing maths revision/studying and bio, but legal, business n english is where i gotta concentrate since they focus on essay type questions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)