• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Musing: A Real Coop Bookshop? (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Right. Stumbing over my dad's Coop catalogue he picked up from tafe, I've been thinking about how the entire tertiary world more or less relies on the Coop Bookshop. Once upon a time, the organisation was a proper coop - nonprofit - or so I'm told. However it'd appear to now have developed a little bit into a much more capitalistic organisation.

There're countless benefits to cooperatives, as long as they stay cooperative with the members.. I've got a tonne of ideas as to how things could be done (marketing, sales processes, distribution etc), but at the moment it's still a rather intangiable thought.

Assuming support from the student community (and I think, after you've bought one or two $150+ books you're happy to do anything for cheaper books), does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this sort of thing? Anyone have a vague idea of how much markup %'s are on the current coop books?

Am currently doing a little research, just wanted to get some opinions...?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Not every uni has a Co-op branded bookshop, and not every TAFE does either.

I rely more on ebay and amazon than I do on the co-op :) and i'm a fully paid lifetime member, man that was a waste of 20bucks.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
COOP bookshop is a fuckin waste of my money...
bloody hell, the thinnest books of like 200 pages cost a fortune. friggin 110 dollars. GEEZ

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i just saw the price of one of my books at the cumbo bookshop and i'm scared $300+
thats just for one

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think there is no competition so there must be quite a mark up on their books. it's the same with most texts, even highschool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)