Muslim Students demands muslim ONLY Prayer room at RMIT (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerrKross

HSC
N/A
Universities should be secular institutions. It shouldn't cater to anyone's religious interests. It doesn't cater to those Christian and Jewish cults so I don't see why it should cater to the Islamic cult.

sunsettah

HSC
There's multi prayer room things.. that's enough. Book it for the times of prayer.

If they're going to complain that much, then go back to your own country is all I can say.

As for the sexual harrassment... that's just a common part of a siciety like ours. We don't have religious law like Islamic countries, and they need to stop complaining about that.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Universities should be secular institutions. It shouldn't cater to anyone's religious interests. It doesn't cater to those Christian and Jewish cults so I don't see why it should cater to the Islamic cult.
Exactly. I don't even know why they are providing prayer rooms... thats prejudice to those that don't pray... what room do they get...

Andy09

Soccer is life
HSC
This is fairly nonsense.

*commence Muslim bashing... NOW*

It'll turn out to be some nutter's demand blown out of proportion.
Firstly, I'd just like to say, be careful when you say "blown" out of proportion because we don't want anything "going off".

There are eight or so prayer rooms available across the campus, two of which give preferential treatment to those of the muslim faith yet they still believe they have the right to demand there own prayer rooms. All matters aside they do not have the right to demand anything. Furthermore, when they are asked to comment on the statement made by the vice-chancellor they refuse which shows that they are just out there to try and see what else they can force out of the university.

HSC
Firstly, I'd just like to say, be careful when you say "blown" out of proportion because we don't want anything "going off".

There are eight or so prayer rooms available across the campus, two of which give preferential treatment to those of the muslim faith yet they still believe they have the right to demand there own prayer rooms. All matters aside they do not have the right to demand anything. Furthermore, when they are asked to comment on the statement made by the vice-chancellor they refuse which shows that they are just out there to try and see what else they can force out of the university.
absurd. please tell me why they cant demand anything.

Venom.

HSC
There's multi prayer room things.. that's enough. Book it for the times of prayer.

If they're going to complain that much, then go back to your own country is all I can say.

As for the sexual harrassment... that's just a common part of a siciety like ours. We don't have religious law like Islamic countries, and they need to stop complaining about that.
I dont know how your post could fail any harder.

Andy09

Soccer is life
HSC
absurd. please tell me why they cant demand anything.
Why they can't demand anything? They come to this country and b@*^h about how unjust it is and the inequalities about it. If their country is so good and so just why did they leave and come here?

Scissors

HSC
Why they can't demand anything? They come to this country and b@*^h about how unjust it is and the inequalities about it. If their country is so good and so just why did they leave and come here?
you know that you don't have to be arab to be a muslim, right?

these students may be australian you stupid fuck.

Scissors

HSC
Why do they need a prayer room? Why can't they have sleepover parties or go on a picnic in between lectures and get it done then.
Would you like a bunch of muslims praying in the middle of your University? Or in the corridors?

TBH, I don't think this is so outrageous. Seriously, what's the big deal? It's not as if the students are asking for a mosque to be built on campus or anything, all they want is a room to pray in.

It'd be quite easy to allow them access to a spare room and let them convert it into their own prayer room.

Universities have to work to appease their students, or else people will choose to go elsewhere.

Scissors

HSC
Holy Ayatollah on hubbly bubbly, we wouldn't want to lose our Muslim students. They might spend a majority of their studying time praying at some other university.
Uhh, pretty sure Muslim students pay fees as well.

Scissors

HSC
I really doubt that
TBH, I think that the majority of the students asking for the room would be Australian.

I might be wrong though.

This story is just a media beatup. There's really nothing in it.

AppleNader

HSC

What if the muslims that complain were born here? What country should they go back to?The same can be said for White Australians then...convicts.

Let them have their own Muslim ONLY prayer room, why would non muslims need to enter anyway?

Scissors

HSC
Yeah apparently they also bitch and whine about not having enough privileges. Then Islamic Society groups start on about how discrimination and racism is rife within these universities because they don't want to listen to them (and rightly so).
You can't be racist towards religion, 'medicine asian'.

And I think it's fair ground for complaint if a university doesn't hear you out on an issue. I mean, you are paying fees aren't you? It's only fair.

AppleNader

HSC
You can't be racist towards religion, 'medicine asian'.

Well, in the context of Muslim students in Australian unis, most happen to be of Arab or Indonesian extract, so yes, racism does have something to do with religion in this case.

I think Muslims in Australia feel a need to demand something ( like it was some kind of god given right) instead of requesting or asking for it gracefully, that's why there is so much conflict created over a simple thing like a prayer room.

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Thanks point dexter, I nearly forgot. How silly of me to assume that an Arabic religion, of which 90% of Arabs are adherents, full of anglo-saxons members was being hard done by the university.
Arabic religion? What do you mean? Do you think Christianity is a caucasian religion :confused:? And fyi, the country with the largest Muslim populous is Indonesia, not an Arab country.

AppleNader

HSC
Arabic religion? What do you mean? Do you think Christianity is a caucasian religion :confused:? And fyi, the country with the largest Muslim populous is Indonesia, not an Arab country.

Oh c'mon, when most people think of Muslims, they think of Arabs. It's just one of those things that is deeply embedded in popular culture, not many people picture Indos when thinking of Muslims, especially not in Australia, where it seems that the Arab muslim contingent is more vocal and has more influence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)