My ability in solving mathematical questions is declining. (1 Viewer)

Mathislife

HSC
Ever since year 12 started I have been struggling to maintain my ability in solving questions. At first I thought it was just stress but it seems like more to me. There are a lot of times now where I will get stuck on questions only to find out they were ridiculously easy. I can't rarely solve advanced questions now without having done one similar to it beforehand. At the end of year 11 this was rarely happening. It's true that I do slightly less math hw now but not enough that it should effect me like this. I do ext1 and ext2 and while it is a bit more understandable for this to happen in ext2, there isn't an explanation as to why the same is happening in ext1 considering I did well in it in year 11. Any help in identifying why this is happening to me would be greatly appreciated as it is really killing me.

leehuan

HSC
1. How often do you practice questions specific to one topic?

If not enough - Stay topic confined, or even just unit confined and keep repeating the same thing (e.g. integration by substitution)
If sufficient - Move to 2.

2. When you do past papers, can you identify WHAT topic is being asked?

If no - You need to start doing some papers open book. You haven't figured out what links to what yet.
If yes - Move to 3.

3. The idea about doing a ton of practice questions for maths, especially for something like MX2 but tbh true for even down to general, is that you get used to question style. The topics change a bit in the HSC despite calling upon preliminary knowledge, so you're probably restricted specifically within the HSC topics.

Try to find any topics you feel weak at.

If you want, post some example questions that you struggle on and what I can do is describe what processes occur in my brain, and how I deduce a method to answer it.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Ever since year 12 started I have been struggling to maintain my ability in solving questions. At first I thought it was just stress but it seems like more to me. There are a lot of times now where I will get stuck on questions only to find out they were ridiculously easy. I can't rarely solve advanced questions now without having done one similar to it beforehand. At the end of year 11 this was rarely happening. It's true that I do slightly less math hw now but not enough that it should effect me like this. I do ext1 and ext2 and while it is a bit more understandable for this to happen in ext2, there isn't an explanation as to why the same is happening in ext1 considering I did well in it in year 11. Any help in identifying why this is happening to me would be greatly appreciated as it is really killing me.
practice, practice. attempt the question, then check your answer, and then mark your answer. Repeat process with a similar question.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Like Ext2, the Ext1 course also contains problems which require you to apply what you know in an unfamiliar situation. The course also steps up quite a bit in difficulty in Year 12 compared to Year 11.

The best way to handle it (on top of doing heaps of practice problem solving questions) is actually understanding the concepts properly and the logic behind how they work rather than just rote learning the formulas. That way you can recognise when to call upon these tools when solving an unfamiliar problem.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the other thing is you might have to put more effort in, there comes a point where your natural knowledge may not cut it.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
When first looking at a question that you are unsure of how to attempt, try and notice anything in the question which reminds you of anything else you've seen before. When actually starting to attempt the question, try out all of the ideas that you have, and see where they get you. If you're really stuck, it's alright to look at the answers, but don't let it become a habit.

I think it's also important to have the right attitude, and to make an effort not to get frustrated when you don't know how to answer a question at first. Be determined, but also be patient.

Mathislife

HSC
1. How often do you practice questions specific to one topic?

If not enough - Stay topic confined, or even just unit confined and keep repeating the same thing (e.g. integration by substitution)
If sufficient - Move to 2.

2. When you do past papers, can you identify WHAT topic is being asked?

If no - You need to start doing some papers open book. You haven't figured out what links to what yet.
If yes - Move to 3.

3. The idea about doing a ton of practice questions for maths, especially for something like MX2 but tbh true for even down to general, is that you get used to question style. The topics change a bit in the HSC despite calling upon preliminary knowledge, so you're probably restricted specifically within the HSC topics.

Try to find any topics you feel weak at.

If you want, post some example questions that you struggle on and what I can do is describe what processes occur in my brain, and how I deduce a method to answer it.
Find the locus of z if: w = z-2/z+2 and arg(w) = pie/3

leehuan

HSC
In the answer InteGrand gave, one key thing to note is that such a locus is required knowledge for the MX2 course.

Admittedly, I never studied it cause I haven't seen it in any HSC paper (it appeared in selective trials) but it's something like arg(z)=pi/4 ---> roted.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
In the answer InteGrand gave, one key thing to note is that such a locus is required knowledge for the MX2 course.

Admittedly, I never studied it cause I haven't seen it in any HSC paper (it appeared in selective trials) but it's something like arg(z)=pi/4 ---> roted.
With ext 2, you definite need to grasp the concepts well. But you need to also practice, i.e. be very rigorous*. The two go hand in hand. Same goes for ext 1, but obviously the concepts are easier. Rote learning doesn't work well for ext 2, in general/most cases; while for ext 1 it can work.

*this is the only reason why my mark is half decent, because towards the later half of the year, I finally decided to put a bit more effort, than I was putting in.

leehuan

HSC
With ext 2, you definite need to grasp the concepts well. But you need to also practice, i.e. be very rigorous*. The two go hand in hand. Same goes for ext 1, but obviously the concepts are easier. Rote learning doesn't work well for ext 2, in general/most cases; while for ext 1 it can work.

*this is the only reason why my mark is half decent, because towards the later half of the year, I finally decided to put a bit more effort, than I was putting in.
I was specifically referring to the question that OP gave in his comment. It's based off a rote concept.

Obviously to get a high mark you need to practice questions. I already implied that earlier on. But the point of practicing questions is to grasp the concept of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)