My big fat greek wedding (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
Director Joel Zwick has shown the advantages one can experience when belonging, the disadvantages of belonging, in the film My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Belonging or in this case not belonging is explored through cultural differences and how one is oppressed because of belonging.
A Greek family living in America we expect some stereotypes and prejudice towards them from the general American population, this offcourse is one disadvantage of belonging being exposed to stereotypes (racism) and prejudice. We can see a clear example of this at the beginning of the film when Toula, sits down to eat her traditional Greek food and is mocked by the blonde American girls. A high camera angle has been used to show Toulas low self esteem because of this. I believe this movie has another message related to belonging, I believe this movie tells us that when you belong to that group it is hard to belong to another group as well, this is seen when Toula wants to marry Ian Miller, but is unable to do because of overwhelming control of her Greek family.
In the film Toula is oppressed she is limited in what she can do because she belongs to the Greek tradition an example of this is when Toula is at the cafe and her sister notices a pamphlet containing details about a computer course, after an argument Toulas sister scrunches the pamphlet and chucks it away, she wants Toula to remain at the cafe unless she get married, after this we once again see a high camera angle being used to show Toulas oppression and sadness.
So far director Joel Zwick has shown that belonging only has negative implications, these being a lack of self esteem and oppression. Once Toula is free from the oppression of belonging to Greek society (after her mother confronts her father angrily) we see an immediate change in Toulas confidence. Originally Toulas body langue was negative, head down, back slouched symbolising her oppression and low self esteem because of belonging to a controlling group, once she can attend the computer classes, we notice positive body language, straight back, looking after appearance and low camera angles are now being used to show her positive attitude. While belonging to the demanding Greek culture, she lost her personal ID, once the chains of belonging to the Greek culture are loosened slightly; she is able to show of her own self.
Ian Miller does not belong to the Greek culture, the director has shown that not belonging can have advantages, he retains his individuality and this is shown through the use of low camera angles, however when Ian wants to marry Toula, he is not welcome by Toulas family, this is shown when Ian asks Gus ( toulas father ) if he could date her, Gus says no and a low camera angle is used on Gus, however when the camera goes back to Ian, a high camera angle is used to show his isolation, and alienation.
The same happens when Toula meets Ian’s parents the dialogue between them is very brief, when Ian’s parents speak of Toulas heritage it is with little respect, particularly when Toula tells them the meaning of her name, once again the disadvantages of not belonging being a feeling of isolation and alienation is shown through the use of high camera angles.
Later on in the movie Toula and Ian belong together their love for one another is very strong, so the parents of both characters are forced to accept this and must forget their differences, now both families belong together even though they are different they are both similar explained by the quote from Gus “ we are oranges and you are apples but we are both fruit” positive fast paced music and low camera angles are used to show that both families have accepted each other’s worth and value and there is now a sense of unity within both families.
It is interesting to note that this movie tells us the same thing about belonging that the poem Feliks Sckrzynecki did, both children are willing to leave behind their heritage to assimilate to their new cultures

Is that alirhg tfor my related text?

bored of sc

HSC
Director Joel Zwick has shown the advantages and disadvantages of belonging one can experience in his film My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The concept of alienation or not belonging is explored through cultural differences and how one is oppressed because of belonging.
As a Greek family living in United States, The (Insert their surname here) are highly susceptible to stereotypes and prejudices from the general American population. This offcourse is one disadvantage of belonging to a minority culture within a larger dominant society - being exposed to the stereotypes associated with racism. A clear example of this is at the beginning of the film when Toula sits down to eat her traditional Greek food and is mocked by the blonde American girls. A high camera angle has been used to show Toulas low self esteem resulting from this. Another concept of belonging explored in the text is that when you belong to one group it is hard to belong to another as well. This idea is represented when Toula wants to marry Ian Miller, but is unable to do so because of the overwhelming control and strict cultural traditions of her Greek family.
In the film Toula is oppressed; she is limited in what she can do because she belongs to the Greek tradition. An example of this is when Toula is at the cafe and her sister notices a pamphlet containing details about a computer course. After an argument Toula's sister scrunches the pamphlet and chucks it away as she wants Toula to remain at the cafe unless she get married. The repetition of the high camera angle is used by Zwick to show Toula's oppression (not sure if this fits here) and sadness.
So far in the film My Big Fat Greek Wedding Zwick shows that belonging only has negative implications, these being a lack of self esteem and oppression. Once the protagonist Toula is free from the oppression of belonging to Greek society (after her mother confronts her father angrily) an immediate change in Toulas confidence occurs. Originally Toulas body language is negative - head down and back slouched, symbolising her oppression and low self esteem because of belonging to a controlling group. Once she can attend the computer classes, a change to positive body language is established - straight back, looking after appearance (hmm... be clearer here). Low camera angles are now being used to show her positive attitude. While belonging to the demanding Greek culture, she lost her personal ID but once the chains of belonging to the Greek culture are loosened slightly; she is able to show of her own, true self. - excellent sentence :)
Ian Miller does not belong to the Greek culture, the director has shown that not belonging can have advantages; he retains his individuality and this is shown through the use of low camera angles. However when Ian wants to marry Toula, he is not welcome by Toula's family. This is shown when Miller asks Gus (Toula's father) if he could date her, Gus says "No" and a low camera angle is used on Gus to portray his authority over Miller. However when the camera goes back to Ian, a high camera angle is used to show his isolation, and alienation; which creates strong aesthetic juxtaposition against the power of Gus, representing the stark differences between their traditions and customs.
The same division occurs when Toula meets Ian’s parents. The dialogue between them is very brief and in turn, awkward. When Ian’s parents speak of Toula's heritage it is with little respect, particularly when Toula tells them the meaning of her name. The disadvantages of not belonging and the feelings of isolation and alienation is shown through the recurring use of high camera angles.
Later on in the Zwick's film Toula and Ian belong together as a couple. Their love for one another is very strong, so the parents of both characters are forced to accept this and must forget their differences. Now both families belong together - even though they are culturally different they are both similar through the inextricable relationship of their children. This is demonstrated by the quote from Gus; “we are oranges and you are apples but we are both fruit” (quote/technique (metaphor/symbolism) needs explaining i.e. different fruit = different cultures, both fruit = united by humanity, becoming family through marriage etc). Positive, fast paced music and low camera angles are used to show that both families have accepted (possibly 'appreciate') each other’s worth and value and there is now a sense of unity within both families.
Joel Zwirk's text My Big Fat Greek Wedding portrays the same concepts of belonging to Peter Skryznecki's poem Feliks Sckrzynecki. Both Toula and Peter are willing to leave behind their heritage to assimilate ('integrate', 'adopt a new culture') to their new cultures.
Overall, the concept is very clear and your examples are specific and well explained. However I feel as though your techniques analysis is too brief. It is all about techniques. You do have techniques, but just when I am getting interested in your explanation you stop which leaves me wondering: can you go into more depth? Perhaps there are better/other/more techniques to talk about.

I have made quite a few adjustments to your writing above in terms of sentence length, some grammatical errors and word choice. Take it or leave it, my editting is, by no means, the 'right' way to do it.

Be sure to choose words carefully to get your argument across clearly and enable your writing to jump out of the page (i.e. more verbs). Have a look at the thread which has a list of words "represents", "illuminates", "reinforces". It is an awesome thread which helps to make your writing/analysis develop more variety.

Try not be informal with your language, you are a tad collioquial at times (e.g. later on, so far) and this detracts from the essay-like/formal style of your writing.

In answer to your question, it is a sound piece of writing technically and thematically; however your work needs development in certain areas (word choice, technique analysis) and it needs to be related to Skryznecki's poetry in much more detail (if you haven't yet done so).

Thumbs up and hand-shake. A good attempt. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll do fine in Section 3 Paper 1 for English. :)

P.S. Don't listen to/trust me. I'm just a random, naive kid who has a lot of trouble with english. :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)