• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My confession regarding: UWS Law and things (1 Viewer)

wandering

HSC
N/A
Been browsing the site, saw threads that talk about UWS Law and the LLBs from other unis.
Well, it is irrelevant to me to talk about which law school is the best, is better or whatever; all because I never had a chance to go to any other law school, see, when I first started studying in Australia as an overseas student, I did not go to a high school, I went to the Foundation Program offered by UWS instead of any other high school; so I never sat HSC, and never attained a UAI.
Not that I did not try hard enough or whatever, but I never had a chance to try otherwise.
It does make me feel embarrassed when I tell my mates who are either students or graduates of UNSW or USyd or UMel or Monash; or even Wollongong for that matter, if I really knew anyone doing LLB at Wollongong.
And also especially during my current internship doing some legal research at an NGO, when most students there are from USyd, UNSW, and half of those are doing LLB; and I had to tell them UWS when asked where I do my law degree.
All I am attempting to do is to transfer out, and I know USyd and UNSW are impossibilities, because I don't have a UAI; and they both require a combo of UAI and first year GPA; and the other more prestigious law schools that do not require a UAI are all outside of NSW, like Adelaide of Griffith.
Well, there are other options, universities in New Zealand are basically easier to enter; with the exception of University of Auckland that is going through some changes, but University of Canterbury law school is pretty much open entry, my understanding is that they even allow adult entry into first year law; then they admit those who are competent academically into second year law.
So I am thinking about the option of doing law in New Zealand; and because there is the mutual recognition in terms of legal practitioners between Australia and New Zealand. Oh, and it's so much cheaper doing law in New Zealand.
Just some feelings and thoughts, excuse me for my whining.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
So what exactly is your problem? From what I can tell, you're in a law degree, you're not failing out of it, and you're pissed off that you're at a uni that's "below you" and "makes you look bad in front of all the other law students."

If my comprehension is correct, then quit being so damn negative and immature. Grades first, institution second. Do you really think moving to New Zealand would be cheaper?

= Jennifer =

HSC
What I can not comprehend is, is the fact that you have a position in an NGO the same as other students from UNSW and USYD you are all doing basically the same work. So obviously you met the requirements for the position. You should be proud that you even got a position because as many of us know there are places that have preferences for certain universities and it is quite difficult for a UWS student to get a position in the law field. All I can say to you is get off your high horse and get over it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i think the OP is trying to say, since he's an international student and paying his full fee's worth, he would desire to go to a university with a better reputation.

i don't think there's anything wrong with that view. if i was forking out $20K a year to hire a rental car, would i take the toyota or the porsche?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Whatever makes you feel good, personally it did bother me more in my first years... but having grown used to it a little I really don't care now.

antisheep

HSC
I really think that UWS's reputation is changing and you don't need to be concerned... snobbery amongst the universities is lame and by deciding to jump ship when you're obviously doing quite well (in order to get the position you mentioned) then you're just perpetuating the snobby bullshit. For instance, I know a bunch of people in the education program and almost all of them decided to leave at the end of their first year... now everyone who knows them thinks that UWS is so shit that people can't even bare to stay there.

You could be in a much worse place than you are... You got into a university in the Sydney Metropolitan area which is alot better than having to go out to the country to get your degree. If I were you, unless you honestly feel like the quality of the education you are receiving is substandard, not the reputation, I would stay put.

doink

Clone
HSC
Some people dream of getting into any law degree so you shouldn't feel ashamed of where you are doing it, once you graduate no one cares anymore anyway. Although the pretentious law students @ usyd may think they are special, they really aren't.

EDIT: Can you practice law overseas when you have an aus law degree? Isn't the law like completely different?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
doink said:
Some people dream of getting into any law degree so you shouldn't feel ashamed of where you are doing it, once you graduate no one cares anymore anyway. Although the pretentious law students @ usyd may think they are special, they really aren't.

EDIT: Can you practice law overseas when you have an aus law degree? Isn't the law like completely different?

If you seriously believe that a B Laws @ UWS = B Laws @ USYD then you are delusional.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
I'd be interested to compare exam questions from the sandstone uni's with those of more newly established and less prestigious uni's. I go to UTS, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm an independent learner, and I just quietly and diligently work away doing my own thing knowing that I'll get to where I want to be in the end.

Anyway, bottom line is, if you are competing against the brightest (as measured by the HSC) in the state (think USYD law and UNSW law), your pass degree will look better than a pass degree at a university with a cohort that is not as bright (again, as measure by the HSC). Then again, if your cohort isn't as 'bright' or as diligent, you have a greater opportunity to distinguish yourself by getting first class honours, or the university medal etc seeing as the competition might not be what it is elsewhere. First class honours looks great at any uni, doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm still a relatively naive 2nd year student and I could be totally wrong here. Please correct me if I am, but I'm more of a believer in mind over matter when it comes to these sorts of things.

antisheep

HSC
Yeah I hear what you're saying amaccas... it's a good point.

To be honest I am so sick of all the snobbery between the universities. I found it at UTS and now I'm at Mq I'm finding it there too... it seems that those two universities are in alot of competition with eachother and it just seems lame. I'm even sick of people ragging on UWS because I don't think it deserves it.

I mean, I have my preference when it comes to uni's but that doesn't make my place better... it's so annoying to have someone attempt to devalue someone else's hard work just because it's at a place they consider below them.

I have actually heard people say in the same breath that UAI no longer counts once you get to uni and that UWS sucks cos of the dumbarses that apparently go there... does no one else see how that's so ironic?

the fact of the matter is that if you're reading this then chances are you're one of the very lucky few that can go to uni and get a good education... why should we then turn around and say that someone else's degree is below us?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
I have actually heard people say in the same breath that UAI no longer counts once you get to uni and that UWS sucks cos of the dumbarses that apparently go there... does no one else see how that's so ironic?

the fact of the matter is that if you're reading this then chances are you're one of the very lucky few that can go to uni and get a good education... why should we then turn around and say that someone else's degree is below us?
good post

*thumb-up*

doink

Clone
HSC
blakegman said:
If you seriously believe that a B Laws @ UWS = B Laws @ USYD then you are delusional.
I didn't say they are the same degree I am just saying you shouldn't be ashamed if you are doing law @ uws since it is still law and law @ usyd and unsw is almost impossible to get into anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)