My degree is impossible! (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hello,
Yeah my degrees probably not impossible, I'm just retarded that's all.

I'm doing a B Advanced Maths/B Computer Science and for the maths part it says I need at least 30 CP of year 1 courses to be allowed to start doing 2nd year courses. But the only first year courses that seem relevant to me are MATH1141, MATH1241 and Math1081. All the others are either excluded or described as being for people who don't wish to do further math after first year. But how am I supposed to do the 5 first year courses to get the 30 CP and pass into 2nd year? Here's the link to the handbook: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3946.html

Help!

p0llex

HSC
Are you referring to where it says "8.Students may not enrol into Level II courses until at least 30 UOC of Level I courses have been successfully completed."?

If so, that is talking about all of your courses, not just the maths ones.

Flop21

HSC
Is there someone we can sit down with and talk through this sort of stuff? To plan all the subjects for you degree, and in this case if it's actually possible to finish???

D94

HSC
N/A
Any level 1 course, even not related to your degree, counts in that 30 UoC. It just needs to begin with a 1.

D94

HSC
N/A
Is there someone we can sit down with and talk through this sort of stuff? To plan all the subjects for you degree, and in this case if it's actually possible to finish???
What are you studying? It's really not that difficult after you figure out your first year.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
You can talk to the business faculty . That's how I got my degree plan :)

Flop21

HSC
What are you studying? It's really not that difficult after you figure out your first year.
I know, I've got a rough idea. But I want some help. I want to make sure via someone who knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me).

I'm studying science + computer science.

You can talk to the business faculty . That's how I got my degree plan :)
Degree plan sounds perfect and what I'm looking for. Need a plan of what to do, just to ensure I am completing the correct units to ensure I get my degree on time.

It's a bit tricky with the double degree I think is the issue.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, what
Sorry it's just whatever the relevant faculty is. Each faculty should have someone there to do the degree plan with students ... As far as I know, ASB and Arts do that

D94

HSC
N/A
I know, I've got a rough idea. But I want some help. I want to make sure via someone who knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me).

I'm studying science + computer science.

Degree plan sounds perfect and what I'm looking for. Need a plan of what to do, just to ensure I am completing the correct units to ensure I get my degree on time.

It's a bit tricky with the double degree I think is the issue.
Ok, let's break it down year by year, semester by semester. Which science major do you intend to declare, and are you considering doing a 2nd computer science major in any of the following: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/und...ions/2016/3983ComputerScienceEngineering.html ?

Flop21

HSC
Ok, let's break it down year by year, semester by semester. Which science major do you intend to declare, and are you considering doing a 2nd computer science major in any of the following: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/und...ions/2016/3983ComputerScienceEngineering.html ?
At this moment I'm thinking I'll major in Bioinformatics. At this moment I also have no idea about majors in computer science, I'm not sure. I was thinking I'll need a bit of time before I can work out what I want to do in comp sci as a major.

Here is the degree:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3983.html

And here is the bioinformatics major:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2016/BINFB13970.html

When I spoke to someone on the phone, he was like "oh... yeah that's a big major". But I'll already be doing the math + computing classes anyway.

So I just discovered that the codes with 1 at the start are 1st year courses. Does that mean I can ONLY do them in 1st year? Because I'm already going to be behind 1 whole subject/course in chem.

--

1st year:

T1:
computing 1
math 1a
intro to chem
Molecules, Cells and Genes

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
10 points to WSU lol it seems they finally have something useful

they have course planning days dedicated for students to come in and discuss this/pick tutes/etc

retrov

HSC
N/A
You can do "1" courses in 2nd year as well, which is something you have to do for a double degree.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Go to your course authority and they can help plan degrees out for you. Science student centre, School of mechanical engineering, ASB, COFA etc etc

D94

HSC
N/A
At this moment I'm thinking I'll major in Bioinformatics. At this moment I also have no idea about majors in computer science, I'm not sure. I was thinking I'll need a bit of time before I can work out what I want to do in comp sci as a major.

Here is the degree:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3983.html

And here is the bioinformatics major:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2016/BINFB13970.html

When I spoke to someone on the phone, he was like "oh... yeah that's a big major". But I'll already be doing the math + computing classes anyway.

So I just discovered that the codes with 1 at the start are 1st year courses. Does that mean I can ONLY do them in 1st year? Because I'm already going to be behind 1 whole subject/course in chem.

--

1st year:

T1:
computing 1
math 1a
intro to chem
Molecules, Cells and Genes
Relax, just take it year by year since course offerings could very well change mid way through your degree. If the courses don't change, this is one possible outline:

+ 30 UOC of Science courses (ex. COMP courses)
+ 30 UOC of CSE courses (Level II or III) - this is where you have the opportunity to double major in Computer Science
+ 12 UOC of Free Electives (any course offered at UNSW ex. Gen Ed courses)

So you are required to complete 96UOC of Science courses and 96UOC of CSE courses. Since the course offerings for CSE in a dual award are more rigid, you have to make sure you meet those requirements first, and then see what courses remain for Bioinformatics. The red courses are CSE (but some do overlap with Bioinformatics such as COMP1917). After determining the courses that overlap, you still need a further 30UOC of Science courses. They can be any level since you already have 24UOC of Level I Science courses (i.e. entire year 1 ex. COMP courses).

My advice when choosing those Science courses is to first figure out your CSE courses since they must be Level II or above, and then wherever you have gaps, you fill that with Science courses.

Here, you need to recognise that some courses are only offered in a certain semester and some are offered in both. Since your entire 4th year is open, you can decide to move say BABS3121 to your final year etc. since its prerequisite is BIOC2101 which you would complete in your 2nd year. Or could even move some 2nd year courses into your 3rd year, say BINF3020 since no 3rd year course has that as its prerequisite.

Basically after Year 2 Sem 1, you're quite flexible in pushing courses later in your degree. You just need to keep in mind that if you move 1, you may need to move another if it depends on that course. For example, you could do BIOC2201 in Year 3 Sem 2, but you must then move BINF3010 to Year 4 Sem 1 and move BABS3281 to Year 4 Sem 2. Completely up to you.

If I've missed a course, it's unlikely that it will make a huge difference since you have so much flexibility in your later years.

Flop21

HSC
Relax, just take it year by year since course offerings could very well change mid way through your degree. If the courses don't change, this is one possible outline:
Thanks so much! Definitely will be coming back to this post every now and then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)