• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My Dilemma/Interview with the Principal. (1 Viewer)

jiekailin

HSC
Supposedly, Yr 11s in Ruse get theirs when we get ours. But hey, sucks to them.

My advice to Broad:

It's 5 months left. You're a smart guy, so you'd still get 95+ if you wanted to wing it. But i reckon you should employ the "try your best" philosophy. Makes our entire year look better in the end. So "All for one, and one for all", or some other aphorism like that.

Raginsheep

HSC
Find a student's relative position in his/her grade and compare it against a table of previous years results. Thats what my school did anyway.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
How many schools can call a uai of 95 'average' besides maybe ruse and maybe baulkham hills?

Unless you go to either of these schools :p

Raginsheep

HSC
Any of the top 10-20 schools on the school rankings that come out each year.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
um MEDIAN maybe but average i would highly doubt it .. in fact i don't think any school ever goes out to calculate the mean because it would be significantly lower than the median (take ruse for e.g. last year they advertised their median as being 99.25 but seriously do you think 170 students scored that mark with minimal standard deviation? no of course not there were something like 100 students with 99 or higher with iono 20 or so which scored in the low 90s and high 80s hence a lower mean)

but this is getting too pedantic. i think its safe to say that the thread starter will be caning the hsc if they maintain this.

nerd :eek:

broady

w3rd
HSC
haha bobness. thanks. umm, yeah "average" does not necessarily refer to the mean, median or mode... I was just referring to it in general. :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yeah that's cool i was referring my post to others who thought 95 was the average (mean) for quite a few schools

oh and a tip .. work out what uni course you want to do and aim for the cut-off plus .2-2 uai points (i.e. if aiming for usyd law which was 99.55 in 2005 aim for maybe a 99.6 because that's the highest its ever been but if you're going for arts usyd aim for say 85 when the cutoff last year was 83 in case of fluctuating demand)

there's no point whatsoever in scoring say 95 for the hsc if all you want to do is a BA. but you seem like a smart enough guy to already know this :)

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
nahian said:
HAHA what a mad liar 10 minutes of work a week and estimated 95 uai
Give us a fucking break please
Yea lol, doesn't matter how smart you may be, doing 10 minutes of work a week would not get you a UAI of 95 +

P

pLuvia

bobness said:
i thought that was for pharmacy?
I think he means the RET test, or so it's called. STAT test is compulsory for pharmacy in USYD

Raginsheep

HSC
The STAT test (with the written component) is accepted by some universities as an alternative to entry by UAI.

Pharmacy requires only the MC part.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Incidently, a friend of mine sat the STAT test today...

P

pLuvia

Riviet said:
Incidently, a friend of mine sat the STAT test today...
Not me (?) But I also did it, and it was quite a good test, fairly easy

stainmepink

HSC
ooo oooo! i did the stat test on saturday. *raises hands*

there were a couple of questions in it that really got me thinking. such as the migrant question. i was wondering how politically correct they wanted me to be.

anyway, about the principal thing, good for you doing 10 minutes of study a day and getting a uai estimate of 95+? i think it would be more impressive if you studied longer hours and got a better uai estimate, rather than coming on bos to brag about ur effortless achievements.

T-Boner

HSC
broady, long time no see mate....

faaaaaaark cant believe all of this talk of UAI's over 90.. i think il just stick to getting ruined every weekend and gunning for that ever-elusive UAI of 65 for the course i want :p:p:p :) :) :)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
you could have just PMed him instead of bumping a 4 month old thread...

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
I agree with the idea that uni is harder than school. way harder. U can do relatively little and get 90+. At uni im working way harder and just getting credits (65-74). There was an interesting article that suggested ur 1st year uni marks drop by 20% to ur school marks.
My avg HSC mark - 86%
Avg uni mark first semester 06 - 67

Study now lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)