My Fair Lady (1 Viewer)

Ussia

HSC
I would be grateful if anyone had some information on this movie ..um some techniques and examples would be much appericated.. or any sources ...thankyou

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
oks well go through the film again and see what things strike u. e.g. costuming, lighting, film techniques, all the usual stuff :)

cukor uses lighting and costuming to demonstrate the division between eliza's world and higgin's. we can see this when eliza is dressed in black drab clothes and its raining, its sort of giving the audience an impression of a poor society. this cross cuts to the scene of the women going down the stairs as they leave the ball. note they are dressed in elegant pink clothes and hats, they have quite a flamboyant sense of style. this demonstrates the 'rich' of society.

pay attention to where the characters are positioned in the film. u can kinda see that eliza is asking higgins to buy her flowers, but shes sort of at his feet, looking up @ him, which suggests her inferiority to higgins. later on u can see shes descending the staircase in that ball gown, which emphasises her successful transition into her new world.

however, like rita, eliza faces obstacles as she moves into her new world. this is demonstrated when shes at the races, and i think she yells, 'move ur bloomin' arse...' so she reverts back to her cockney accent and working class ways. i think u need to mention how her voice changes and her dress and manners. theres also the struggles she faces @ not being able to speak properly and higgins' hearless approach to teaching her, which almost makes her give up.

a good point to make is that in educating rita, denny is resistant to change and does not accompany rita in her new world, while eliza's dad does make the transition into the middle-class of society, although not by choice. :)

Last edited:

Ussia

HSC
Thanks for all your help ive been away for a while ..so im grateful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)