My Favourite Book (on the ABC just then) (1 Viewer)

Adrian.

HSC
I'm not much of a reader myself but of those that I have read I do agree that they should be in the top 10. I've read 1984, Catch 22 and To Kill a Mockingbird. I was surprised at the Bible being there as I don't really see it as a book (for some strange reason). The only book in the top ten that I want to read is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. For the people that didn't see it I've tried to make a list of the top ten (I'm not sure on how accurate it is).

10. A Fortunate Life
9. Da Vinci Code/Catch 22
8. Hitchhikers Guide
7. 1984
6. Cloud Street
5. To Kill a Mockingbird
4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Holy Bible
2. Pride and Prejudice
1. Lord of the Rings

What are your thoughts (remember the list may not be accurate)?

Last edited:

tristan88

HSC
10 was, 'A Fortunate Life' by A.B. Facey.
'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' was the one.

Last edited:

Adrian.

HSC
teeg88 said:
10 was, 'A Fortunate Life' by A.B. Facey.
'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' was the one.
Thank you. Do you think the order is accurate?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I believe 1984 was ahead of Hitchhiker's, placing at #7.

Twas a tad disappointed in the list. Some good texts in there, (To Kill A Mockingbird, for instance) but still, The Da Vinci Code? That's besides Lord of the Rings getting #1, again. (It received that position in the BBC 'Big Read' promotion a couple of years ago). Overrated.

Perhaps I'm just annoyed at most of my favourite texts being nowhere to be seen.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Proves how unintelligent the Australian population as a whole really is. Well done ABC. I thought the show was put together well though, pity about the selection of books.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well, two of my favourites are in there: P&P and TKAMockingbird

Edit: oh and harry potter OOTP

J

jhakka

I watched that. The Lord of the Rings plot skit thingy was funny. :D

astro

HSC
I'm not so sure about LOTR on top spot....
but i'm happy that P&P came second

somechick

HSC
N/A
I dont get it. Is it supposed to be the bestselling list or the most favourite? They're worlds apart.
Cos the bible should be no. 1 if bestseller list, but then not the most popular qualitatively.

persephone

HSC
i was kinda annoyed that p&p was second. the only reason lotr is no. 1 is because the movie versions of them..who has actually read the whole of lotr anyway to actually place it in the number one position.

Xeno

Xeno
HSC
Persephone,

you could make an argument that the only reason Pride and Prejudice was second was because of the recent BBC (I think) serialised production of it (with Colin Firth etc I think) basec on that logic...

Lord of the Rings is a very powerful story of good's triumph over evil, friendship, courage and virtue. Scenes from the book stick in your mind (who remembers the power encounter between the Witch-King of Angmar and Gandalf at the siege of Minas Tirith? [very different to PJ's version of it] or Sam and Frodo passing by a defaced statue of one of Gondor's kings: the head has been knocked off, and flowers grow on top of it, making it look like a crown) or my mind at least.

lol...all feel free to have a laugh at me if you want now ;)

Edit: I'm not saying that I believe it should come first in a list that is ranked based on literary merit. As I understand it, that was not how this list was ranked. I guess what I'm saying is, if you ask people what their favourite story is, you can understand why they say Lord of the Rings

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)