My hand hurts so bad (1 Viewer)

nyknickschick

HSC
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I just wanted some advice on how to write faster and how you guys write so much without your hands hurting. After two 3 hour essay exams, my hands are ready to fall off. By the end of the second exam, I can barely move my fingers and I was almost crying when I walked out of the room. I see people writing pages after pages and I'm thinking are your hands machines. Do you guys have any tips? I'm not used to writing so much.

Thanks
Lisa

P

pLuvia

Just know all the things off by heart, that way you are constantly writing and not wasting time thinking about what to write next. But practice makes perfect

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
My arm really gives me fits too after a writing-heavy exam, but I usually try to shrug it off. I guess a lot of it is to do with practise - make sure you do some writing in the holidays so you don't lose speed or clarity. Try not too grip your pen too hard (that will kill after a couple of hours), and just basically try to cut down on overuse - be gentle on your hand, don't write too harshly. :p

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I find that you don't need to deliberately press harder on the paper with your pen to write faster, just write lightly but quickly, so that it doesnt hurt and so it will last for up to three hours. Don't hold the pen too tightly either as this really hurts after about 5 minutes.

klaw

HSC
nyknickschick said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I just wanted some advice on how to write faster and how you guys write so much without your hands hurting. After two 3 hour essay exams, my hands are ready to fall off. By the end of the second exam, I can barely move my fingers and I was almost crying when I walked out of the room. I see people writing pages after pages and I'm thinking are your hands machines. Do you guys have any tips? I'm not used to writing so much.

Thanks
Lisa
am I the only one who thought of something naughty after reading the title?

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
klaw said:
am I the only one who thought of something naughty after reading the title?
Yes you sicko.

Like everyone has said: don't hold your pen too tight and don't press too hard on the paper. If you normally print, write in cursive. Don't worry too much about neatness.

What pen you use helps a lot too. Gel pens are good if you're right handed.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
PaleReflection said:
Don't worry too much about neatness.
Actually, markers do care if your writing is too small or messy. If they have to strain their eyes to read your essay, it's gonna put them in a bad mood, and this may affect their judgement on your mark for the essay.

Therefore, you should at least write larger, and printing helps if you can print fast, which is what i do.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you don't want to risk annoying your marker(s), you should take my advice. ;)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Riviet said:
Actually, markers do care if your writing is too small or messy. If they have to strain their eyes to read your essay, it's gonna put them in a bad mood, and this may affect their judgement on your mark for the essay.

Therefore, you should at least write larger, and printing helps if you can print fast, which is what i do.
printing is hellish for me. takes forever for me to write a word by printing

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
1. Get good pens.
2. Practice.
3. Build your muscles. Ways to do this include lifting small weights, or masturbating :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
Build your muscles. Ways to do this include lifting small weights, or masturbating :)
Haha that is funny XD

nyknickschick

HSC
Thanks for all the advice. I will start practicing writing and hopefully I'll be able to write more. But what do you guys do when your hand hurts in the middle of the exam making it hard to write? I end up resting my hand for a couple minutes before I start writing again which is not good since I lose time. And for the lightening writing, how many pages can you write in 15 minutes or whatever amount of time you write for. That way I can judge myself on how good I'm doing.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
nyknickschick said:
Thanks for all the advice. I will start practicing writing and hopefully I'll be able to write more. But what do you guys do when your hand hurts in the middle of the exam making it hard to write? I end up resting my hand for a couple minutes before I start writing again which is not good since I lose time. And for the lightening writing, how many pages can you write in 15 minutes or whatever amount of time you write for. That way I can judge myself on how good I'm doing.
I just flex my fingers and hand for a few moments and then continue on. For the AOS essay in paper 1, the recommended time is 40 minutes, and if you write at a decent speed, you should be able to write 900-1000 words. That's how much i can write at my absolute fastest, i literally have to know my essay inside out though.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Sarah168 said:
two words: pilot pens :D
yes agreed. get good roller gel ball thingy pens. so they just flow. definitely inky pens, so u don't have to press hard like with a biro.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
All of the techniques presented in above posts for writing fast require you to practice, practice, practice and that’s exactly what you should do before you worry how much you should be writing exact there is plenty of time in the holidays and even before the HSC to improve your writing pace and I suggests that’s what we should all do (if you are a slow writer).

To the OP you will be starting your preliminary HSC next year so you don’t have that much to worry about the amount of time you are given to write essays in exams during the preliminary year I found was plenty.

nyknickschick

HSC
I try to flex my fingers and shake my hand out, but it still is cramped and makes writing very hard in the last hour of an exam.

Also are there any sample responses anywhere on the web? I already checked the resources page but those are like a couple years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)