My Place (1 Viewer)

Simmey

HSC
Has anyone got any interesting pointers for My Place by Sally Morgan. Any key quotes they want to share because i honestly cant find too many good ones.

HSC
N/A
YAY! Long time no My Place thread.

Well,

"We would have survived, but never as a whole people. We would never have known our place"

-Place as a metaphor for identity, sense of self and cultural/spiritual heritage

Other than that, I'm currently doing speed-writing sessions where I write as much as I can about my texts in 10 minutes. Anyone else finding it hard to squish everything in such a short amount of time?!?! There's so much to write about!!!

-Techniques (language, strucuture)
-Injustice: I'm never sure exactly how much of this to put in. Everything's fighting for time... which is more important?!
-Actual inner journey of accepting and embracing/re-embracing aboriginal heritage and finally going back to "place"

Anything else? that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Off for another speed-writing session!

breena

HSC
i like my place...

hey... try to think about the themes in the text, i did discovery of truth and pride, identity contrasting her initial negative perspective of herself with the later more positive, and acceptence of self, heritage and difference. They may help you find a new approach to the text and also a basis for related material

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

1 quote that i really like is "What had began as a tentative search for knowledge had grown int a spiritual and emotional pilgrimage. We had an Aboriginal conscious now, and we were proud of it." (p294) The journey motif represents their progress in understanding and acceptance. Links great to all 3 themes, discovery, identity and acceptance.

Last edited:

wdoueihi

2006 HSC Student.
HSC
mention the bird call that jill hears towards the end of the novel.. it symbolises her acceptance of her culture, and her transition from a "white fella" to a "black fella".... thats what my english teacher keeps saying :) good luck

makemyangelfly

HSC
Technique: Colloquial language
Quote: "Now we children are getting older" and "Habits that at first seemed humourous now become more and more irritating"
Conveyance: Thoughts and things which happen ON the journey. It is concerned with what people choose to place importance on. Growth.

Technique: Repetition
Quote: "Me, I had been scared all me life, too scared to speak out" - Daisy
Conveyance: Internal obstacles - over coming them, they are self inflicted. Progress follows the overcoming process.

Technique: Emotive language in conjunction with punctuation and direct speech
Quote: "Oh Nan," I cried with sudden certainty, "I heard it too. In my heart, I heard it." - Right at the end after Daisy dies, with reference to the bird call.
Conveyance: Emotive sincerity of Sally's realisation of heritage/Aboriginal identity. Sally reached a positive outcome on her journey bu consciously accepting opportunities for growth with obstacles.

Hope this helps!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

reege

HSC
umm - i don't have the book with me - does anyone recollect a quote saying something about - i didn't know what it was to be aboriginal - i had never hunted or gathered - it's along those line and i kinda wanted the full quote

also just to add something
the three oral transcripts represent aboriginal traditional story telling and they challenge the form of the autobiography by including the story of others besides self - a kind of communal story.
also the very fact she is an aboriginal writing an autobiography - challenge traditon of auto biography being for an authoritive white male, presents a counter-history, - 'the voice of the oppressed.'
this use of form relates to the context of post-colonial, post-1968 aboriginal referendum:
- it recognises Aboriginal rights + discrimination inflicted upon them
-challenges European system
- challenges us vs them attitude
- as i said before - presents an alternate history

i hope that's useful to anyone coz i always hav probs with form and context

redcordialisyum

HSC
N/A
hey
i tOtally agree!
i need notes URGENTLY on my place.
i think im ok with the whole search for identity thing, but we have to talk about inner journey on not only identity, but also relationships (e.g. with her father, Bill Milroy) and her family.
i have a speaking task in a few weeks, & also need related material. im thinking either the picture book 'voices in the park', or some leunig cartoon. anything else you can suggest for 'inner journey'??
i appreciate ANY help, guys =]

im kinda new to this, but this website has already helped with my earlier task, so i will learn how to download & donate all sc & prelim stuff.

thanks muchly!:)

FDownes

HSC
I could use some help defining what the core themes of 'My Place' are... So far I've got;
  • Cultural Identity and Heriatage
  • Family
  • Secrets and Denial
  • Aboriginal Experiences
What else?

starrysky

HSC
FDownes said:
I could use some help defining what the core themes of 'My Place' are... So far I've got;
  • Cultural Identity and Heriatage
  • Family
  • Secrets and Denial
  • Aboriginal Experiences
What else?
Your current themes are enough to write a solid essay, although ... I suggest for you to extend your Aboriginal Experiences, and go in-depth - talk about issues linked to Reconciliation, plus the dichotomy between Black vs. White society, provide examples, link, technique, etc. etc.

Also ...
  • Societal expectations (i.e. the incident in second grade with the school teacher scrunching up her drawing of her naked parents, scholarship, Nan's reminiscences, etc.)
I hated My Place when I did it this year, but the techniques and linking back was easy. It's just that the book is as boring and dilapidated as bat shit.

Leanne831

HSC
heyy i found this quote really helped in the study of inner journeys.

"What had begun as a tentative search for knowledge had grown into a spiritual and emotional pilgrimage . We had an aborginal consciousness now, and were proud of it." pg 294....goes on to some more quotes that will help you out.

hope this does tou soem good, best of luck

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Leanne831 said:
heyy i found this quote really helped in the study of inner journeys.

"What had begun as a tentative search for knowledge had grown into a spiritual and emotional pilgrimage . We had an aborginal consciousness now, and were proud of it." pg 294....goes on to some more quotes that will help you out.

hope this does tou soem good, best of luck
Yeah i helped analyse this quote for one of my students earlier. Warning though: it's quite a popular excerpt so you are expected to apply more 'different' analysis.

Anyway i'll give it a shot: the grading of the sequence reveals how the initial catalyst for ontological musings "what had begun..." has transformed into a truly transcendental experience embodied by the religious connotations of the "pilgrimage". This reference to "spiritual and emotional" enlightenment attained through continuous journeying provides a didactic purpose to Morgan's autobiographical recount. The immediate nature of the text is established by the diction of "now" in "we had an aboriginal consciousness now" collaborating with the plosive consonant of "proud" to emphasise the positive nature of introspective journeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)