My plan to make the best of my preferences (1 Viewer)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
So, this is where I'm at:

I really want to get into UQ. Lots of reasons, don't ask. If I don't get into UQ I want to get into UNE. I don't want to go anywhere else, and I'm quite definite on that. What I want to do is speech pathology, but as it had a cutoff last year of 95, my 81.00 UAI is not going to do much for me. So I've resigned myself to doing something else for a year, then trying to transfer to speech. My ideal backup course is arts. Last year arts at UQ had a cutoff of 79.05, and arts at UNE had a cutoff of 70. I'm fairly confident of getting into arts at UNE, but not so sure about UQ, because while I'd make it on last years cutoff, the cutoff for 2004 was 87, which I fall short of. So theres some background. This is my plan:

I've applied to both UAC and QTAC. At the moment my 6 QTAC preferences consist of 4 at UQ, then 2 backup courses. My UAC preferences consist of a variety of courses, none of which I want to do, really. So I plan to manipulate the system... sort of. I'm going to take the two back up courses off my QTAC list and replace them with two more courses from UQ that I could stand to do for a year (my preferences will then be speech, arts, science, communications, social science, environmental resource management, all at UQ, and all, except for speech, had a cutoff last year of 79.05). I will move arts at UNE to the top of my UAC list. That means that I'm fairly well guaranteed of getting an offer through UAC for UNE. Hopefully I will get an offer through QTAC for UQ, but thats not quite so guaranteed when you compare my UAI to previous cutoffs. If I don't get an offer for UQ, its ok, I'll submit my preferences to the late round, but because I will already have an offer for UNE, it won't be so much of a gamble. In the end, I'll end up at either UQ or UNE.

So thats my plan. I'd appreciate it if anyone could notify me of any flaws, or has any other suggestions of how to get into UQ. The only problem I can see is that I have no guarantee of getting into UNE... who knows, the cutoffs might all go up dramatically.

Oh, and I'm sorry for wasting your time. I just want to know peoples thoughts on my plan to make the best of my preferences and my lower-than-hoped-for UAI.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I have an idea - though it might not be exactly what you are looking for. I believe that its possible to do a UQ BA via Open Education - no UAI needed, and you could transfer to main campus after two semesters(and you can accelerate with Open Education so that shouldn't take long). The thing you may not like is that Open Education is via correspondence.. so it depends on whether thats an issue for you or not.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
kami said:
I have an idea - though it might not be exactly what you are looking for. I believe that its possible to do a UQ BA via Open Education - no UAI needed, and you could transfer to main campus after two semesters(and you can accelerate with Open Education so that shouldn't take long). The thing you may not like is that Open Education is via correspondence.. so it depends on whether thats an issue for you or not.
I'm pretty sure that UQ isn't a provider for Open Education. I'll probably check it out if I don't get into anything, but it just isn't the same, you know?Correspondence isn't an issue for me... I did two HSC courses by distance ed, so I'm kinda used to it. But no, its not exactly what I'm looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)