My Problem (1 Viewer)

gelo

HSC
Ok. Here's the deal.
I got a UAI of 93.65
My first (dream) preference was UTS Media Arts and Production, which last year had a cutoff of 92.5
So, getting 93.65 i was pretty damn happy cos I thought I'd get into it!

However, nay.
The cutoff rose this year to 94.05, meaning i missed out on my perfect course by .4
.. Which really sucks.

Cos now I must settle with my second preference, Maquarie B Media, whose cutoff this year was 82.45, meaning my 93.65 mark is kinda pointless....

I'm really kinda annoyed, because i wanna do this UTS course more than anything.

I thought there'd be no harm in asking if anyone on here knew of any way I could somehow still do this course at UTS?
Transfer? Or whatever!
Is it possible?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
I'M DESPERATE TO DO THIS COURSE....
:(

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Transfer after one year.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
HEY random HCC dude.

wot uni did you be get?
engineering @ usyd fellow HCC alumnus

gelo

HSC
Ok, so how exactly does this "transfer" business work?
(sorry if it's a dumb question)

& are there any other options?
Is there any way to.. erm.. appeal my UAI mark & hopefully get an extra .4 ??
lol

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
hahah probably :eek:

gelo

HSC
& what about this Insearch thing?
Or is there a course WITHIN UTS that I should do for a year & THEN transfer (because its easier if its internal, right?)

pink668

HSC
hey, gelo... there's actually a link explaining all the 'trasnfer' businness in the general university discussion, just look around and it will explain teh whole thing about it aka gpa, uai considered etc. you should also check out teh insearch thing- (is it like felixble entry at usyd? hmmm, not sure but check it out first) and have you actually viewed your offers yet, but somewhere on the threads they say that uts deliberately puts up higher uai cutoffs, so dont despair yet unless you have already checked... anyhow, there's always main and late round offers... good luck!

gelo

HSC
ok thanks i will check out those links..

& about insearch..i dont actually know what that is...i just read it somewhere about someone who didnt get the right mark but was very close.....i was wondering if there was something like that for UTS?

& yes i have viewed my offers...my only offer is maq b media..

i guess i should start praying that i make it in the late round by some miracle..

i mean, its bloody .4 of a mark!!!! ARGH!

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I have exactly the same problem I also missed out by less than 1 UAI point and it kills me! How does it work with late round offers as there are no vacancies listed on that... maybe I will think about DFEE

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
do another communications course at uts if the core subjects are similar...that way it may be easier to transfer.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I know of several people who missed out on a UTS BA communications course (whether Journalism, Social inquiry, Public Communictions, Media Arts and Production, and writing and culture studies).

The good thing is that for each of the 5 different BA Communications strands the FIRST YEAR SUBJECTS ARE NEARLY THE SAME, which means that it is easier to transfer into your preferred course later on. If you missed out on the BA comm course you wanted, then do any of the 5, and try to transfer. i think this is the best option. I suggest you call the humanities and social sciences faculty department and see what they recommend.

What i would personally do is accept a course into any of the BA Comm courses, such as Writing and Culture studies (even though it sounds like its got nothing to do with media arts and production, the majority of first year subjects are exactly the same), and then try to transfer at the end of the year. It's much harder to transfer from one university to another, so you would rather transfer within uts.

I know a girl who is enrolled as doing the Public communications course, but she decided she wanted to do journalism instead, so she is taking extra classes, etc, so in the end she pretty much graduates as a journalism student.

hope this helps! :)

PS kami would be able to help you out better than me on this topic.
WHERE ARE YOU KAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????? :p

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
with about a credit/distinction average you'll probably get the transfer. as shimmy said, go for a uts communication course in the late round, and do the same subjects as you would in your dream course. then transfer.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
I know of several people who missed out on a UTS BA communications course (whether Journalism, Social inquiry, Public Communictions, Media Arts and Production, and writing and culture studies).

The good thing is that for each of the 5 different BA Communications strands the FIRST YEAR SUBJECTS ARE NEARLY THE SAME, which means that it is easier to transfer into your preferred course later on. If you missed out on the BA comm course you wanted, then do any of the 5, and try to transfer. i think this is the best option. I suggest you call the humanities and social sciences faculty department and see what they recommend.

What i would personally do is accept a course into any of the BA Comm courses, such as Writing and Culture studies (even though it sounds like its got nothing to do with media arts and production, the majority of first year subjects are exactly the same), and then try to transfer at the end of the year. It's much harder to transfer from one university to another, so you would rather transfer within uts.

I know a girl who is enrolled as doing the Public communications course, but she decided she wanted to do journalism instead, so she is taking extra classes, etc, so in the end she pretty much graduates as a journalism student.

hope this helps! :)

PS kami would be able to help you out better than me on this topic.
WHERE ARE YOU KAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????? :p
For the sake of completeness, pretty much everything in the above post is correct and basically what I would have said. The only thing I'd add is that 100% of your first year will be credited should you do another BA Communications course at UTS so you will not lose any time at all. I can't guarantee the same with MQ's BMedia should you attempt a transfer. The only thing is that you won't be able to start doing MAP subjects till second year if you are in a different BA Comm degree, however I don't think the MQ BMedia has practical subjects in first year anyway.
gelo said:
& about insearch..i dont actually know what that is...i just read it somewhere about someone who didnt get the right mark but was very close.....i was wondering if there was something like that for UTS?
INSEARCH is essentially a college run by UTS that provides DFEE Diplomas that allow students with UAIs above 66 another pathway into their desired degree. They do offer a Dip Communication, however despite the fact that this would be quicker and more sure than transferring from BMedia, I think it would be vastly preferable to do BMedia at MQ. Though another BA Comm degree at UTS would be easier still.

gelo

HSC
hmm so i take it my options are to either:

a) stick with b media @ maq
b) do another comm course at uts (one which my uai actually qualifies for), & then transfer in second year (because internal transfer is more sure)
or
c) do insearch (which kami above said, is better to do b media @ maq instead)

so right now my eyes are on option (b).
how would i go about doing this?

anyway, im putting in an app for insearch tomorrow, just in case, to keep that option open.

also, can i accept my maq offer anytime in the next few weeks?
or is it first come (accept) first serve?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
gelo said:
hmm so i take it my options are to either:

a) stick with b media @ maq
b) do another comm course at uts (one which my uai actually qualifies for), & then transfer in second year (because internal transfer is more sure)
or
c) do insearch (which kami above said, is better to do b media @ maq instead)

so right now my eyes are on option (b).
how would i go about doing this?
If you want to do another strand of communications at UTS, place those courses (social inquiry, writing & cultural studies) as your top preferences and then hope you get an offer in the late or final rounds. Once you're in to that course you simply study for a year, keep up a reasonable grade and then transfer to the MAP strand.

I'd also advise you to accept that MQ offer as it will lapse after a while, and accepting it won't affect your chances of recieving another offer.

gelo

HSC
You mean, so accepting the offer will reserve my space in that course, in case I end up deciding to just take B Media @ Maq?

But how do you accept the offer? There is only instructions here for ENROLLING.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)